Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help my parents want to get rid of my cats I need some answers! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3526)

savemykitties March 15th, 2004 11:48 PM

Help my parents want to get rid of my cats I need some answers!

My parents want to get rid of my one cat Valentino. never work because we also have his mother and he is a big baby and he is very skittish around people outside my family. We even call him the ghost cat because no one ever see's him. Well here is the problem. Valentino has started the habit of pooping out in our down stairs living room. He used to use the litter box all the time, his mom still does so we dont know what to do. We keep the litter box clean, but he still goes out in the living room, so my parents said if he continues we are going to get rid of him or keep him locked up in the laundry room where the litter boxes are. I dont want that to happen. WHAT SHOULD I DO! HELP! more later:(

Carina March 16th, 2004 05:33 AM

Well there's more experienced cat people here, but I do know that changes in litter box habits often indicate a health problem...so I'd say your first step is to take him to the vet for a check up.

Maybe you could put a second litter box in the living room in a private corner? Or even a second one in the laundry room. Maybe he doesn't like to share!

How old is he, and is he neutered?

chico2 March 16th, 2004 08:31 AM

My 2 cents...We've heard it before,where some members in a house-hold does not like the cat and personally I believe it is a big problem and can make a stressed out,shy and nervous cat.
Of course it can also be a health-problem...and you should talk to your vet about it.
A cat that might be shooed away by one member and loved by one member of the family,will be insecure and nervous.
What do you do when he poops on the floor?Never hit a cat!!!!Physical punishment will do more harm than good.
I am only speaking using logic and having been a cat-owner most of my life and like Carina says,there are people here with experience with different problems.
I personally have never had a cat pooping ouside of the box,peeing yes!!!

savemykitties March 16th, 2004 09:58 PM

thanx

Valentino is about 3 and neutered. Except for an occasional tap he is never hit! We have two litter boxes in the laundry room. Valentino has always been shy and nervious around most people its on rare occasion that he'll want to get all buddy buddy and snuggle with anyone else but me. My parents let me get his mom and said we could keep one of the kittens, so everyone wanted them and they love him its just when he began to poop in the living room when they got angry. We also think that his mom (Zip) is doing it also. Thanks for the ideas.

chico2 March 16th, 2004 11:14 PM

One suggestion is to keep the livingroom off limits,during the day I keep the door closed,since it's the only room that's carpeted,because my Rocky will spray on occasion.
It's very strange that they poop out of the box,maybe they don't like the litter?

TalonsMa March 17th, 2004 11:37 AM

My boy kitty has always been great about going in the box, the only time he stopeed going in the box was when he had a urinary tract infection. So I think maybe it would be a good idea to take him to the vet to get checked out. Cats are creatures of habit, and when they do start doing somehting that isn't normal it could be a sign that something is wrong.

Good Luck!

chico2 March 17th, 2004 04:45 PM

I agree Talon,but these cats pee in the box and poo in the livingroom.
Lucky Rescue would know,but I think she has her adopt-a-cat-fair right now,or she's busy with her shelter-cats.