Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   supplements and vitamins (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33316)

meb999 November 25th, 2006 07:17 PM

supplements and vitamins

ok, so I know all about supplementing with digestive enzymes (wide-spectrum) and probiotics when you feed raw. But is that just to start them off (do the healthy bacteria just start a colony in the intestines) or do you have to give them those all the time? Also, Do you supplement with vitamins? How do you know if your dog is getting enough vitamins and minerals?

Sorry if these are stupid questions :o

Scott_B November 26th, 2006 06:15 AM

The digestive enzymes I usually only give every so often. Once or twice a week or so. Some people give a multi vitamin, some give nothing. Personally, I feed a varity of foods. The reading I've done, makes me feel comfortable in knowing that hes getting everything he needs from what hes eating. One thing you could do, have some blood work done on them. Then they would be able to tell you if the pup is lacking in anything. A lot of raw feeders get this done every 6 months or yearly to just stay on top of things so they feel comfortable that the pup is getting what they need. :thumbs up

springermom0406 November 26th, 2006 09:33 AM

When I was feeding raw I never supplemented with [I]anything[/I] except Salmon Oil. They each got a pump once a day. Usually they enjoyed licking it right off the spoon!!

technodoll November 26th, 2006 11:55 AM

i have in the past given powdered alfalfa, kelp, garlic... but have trimed it down to Fish Body Oil, Ester-C and Vit E about 3 to 4 times per week (all capsules). for easing into raw yes i would recommend probiotics and digestive enzymes since buster's system is quite touchy but once a dog is doing good on the diet, no more need for the additions :)

marie-eve are you considering making a serious attempt at switching buster to raw? even if the first few days or weeks are difficult? :fingerscr

Lissa November 26th, 2006 12:04 PM

I do supplement Dodger's diet - he gets oil, kefir, garlic, rosemary, kelp, parsley, apple cider vinegar, vitamin E and vitamin C DAILY. He gets a whole egg at least 3 times a week. Cottage cheese once a week (fasting day) and yogurt on occasion (which he doesn't need since Kefir is better but he likes it).
He was getting brewers yeast daily but now only sparingly (it seemed to be stopping his ear from getting better).

I give vitamin E because it helps them process the oils (when I have raw wheat germ he gets that instead of the capsule). He gets vitamin C because he will excrete it if its too much (runny poops) which doesn't happen so he seems to need it.
He get kefir because it has the highest level of digestive enzymes.
He gets apple cider vinegar for its mineral content and to kill bacteria.

I was going to supplement with vitamin B but instead, use Kefir, eggs, liver, wheat germ and kelp to make sure he's getting what he needs (especially when its time for vaccines).

I am also looking to add egg shell powder (haven't found it yet) to ensure he's getting the correct balance of calcium/phosphorous!

meb999 November 26th, 2006 12:07 PM

right now I'm just working on getting more info (I had already read a zillion books and articles), and trying to convince the man!!
I think my next step (since RM still isn't working out) will be to try Solid Gold BATM because even if we do switch to raw I wanna have a kibble that Buster can digest on hand....

I think the disasterous results I had with raw were probablydue to a chicken intolerance. Plus, I know it'll take a few weeks to get him adjusted to the diet, so it'll have to wait until this summer (when I can come home at lunch time), so if he has wicked reactions, he won't have to hold it in all day...