Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Photography tips - photography gear (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   So confused (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39488)

trippincherri April 21st, 2007 03:22 PM

So confused

Well I too have decided that I need to upgrade my camera.
I have the Canon S2IS and do like it, but would like something a bit more advanced.
The S2IS has 5.0 MP and I would like something with 8+ MP.
I have looked at the Nikon D80 that a few of you have, but I am such a fan of Canon cameras I think it will be hard to switch.
Plus I like the fact that I already know my way around a Canon so it will be easier to learn a new one.

I have been bouncing back and forth about what camera I like, so far I like
the Canon EOS 400D Digital Rebel XTi
the Canon EOS 30D

Does anyone know anyone with these cameras, or have experience with them? I have looked at them on various websites and heard many great things about them.

Money is not a problem....I have saved up $1500.00 for a new camera so far, and am so confused about what to buy I am almost getting discouraged!!:mad:

Any ideas are appreciated and NO I don't necessarily HAVE TO buy a Canon, I am open to other makes.

Prin April 21st, 2007 06:36 PM

I have the rebel xt (8 megapixel) and I really like it... I talked to people who have the 30D and they say it wasn't worth the extra $2000 (or whatever it is, I'm not current anymore) because the refinements aren't really noticeable to a normal person... :o

Whatever you do buy though, you should shop for lenses on the side. I always try to get a better lens right when I buy the camera.. They deduct the crappy standard lens cost from the sale price and add on the lens, usually a little cheaper since you're spending so much money.:D There's just no point getting a crazy camera body and then putting a crap lens on it. :shrug:

trippincherri April 22nd, 2007 12:05 AM

Yeah I already thought about that....because most of the cameras I looked at came equipped with a lens and I was wondering how good of quality they were, and on another site I read that they usually come with a cheaper quality lens but for a ridiculous price. No sense wasting my money.

Does Canon make any other cameras with the swivel monitor on the back like the S2 and S3 IS? I really love that feature, and I really would like another camera that just takes AA's, the ones I have are rechargeable and I love them...they last forever.
I got more reading to do I guess grrrr...:rolleyes:

marko May 1st, 2007 09:00 AM

The canon 30D is a great camera and it's about 1400. CAD with the crappy lens and memory card if you shop around.

The XTi is also a great camera and it's cheaper - it's a bit less solid than the 30D but that doesn't matter to most people.

If you want to get [U]more serious[/U] about photography (that is to say maybe trying photography as a hobby or learning about photography) STAY AWAY from cameras that you cannot change lenses with or have no manual focus option. JMO

trippincherri May 1st, 2007 06:32 PM

Thanks Marko,
I was actually looking at the XTi and I think that is the one I want.
I am not trying to be a professional, but I would like to "play around" with a camera that is a little more advanced.
I really like how the XTi looks too, and since I already own a Canon most of the features are familiar to me.

Unfortunatley where I live there are no camera classes being offered, so I pretty much do my research online.
It's not easy trying to teach yourself :rolleyes:

marko May 1st, 2007 06:41 PM

[QUOTE]Unfortunatley where I live there are no camera classes being offered, so I pretty much do my research online.
It's not easy trying to teach yourself [/QUOTE]

It's my pleasure to answer any of your (or any other member/guest/ mod) photography questions if I can. Feel free to post the question in this forum and just PM me so I'll take a look right away.I actually enjoy helping with people's photography questions so it's NEVER a problem or a hassle. Ask away!

Prin May 1st, 2007 06:44 PM

And even though I [I]only[/I] have an XT, :D I can still help you figure stuff out too.:)

happycats May 1st, 2007 07:05 PM

here is a great site to compare and get opinions on just about everything.
[url]http://www0.epinions.com/[/url]

Rick C May 2nd, 2007 03:20 PM

The Panasonic DMC FZ50 is a 10 megapixel camera with a focal range of 35-420 that has good reviews. The lense is by Lumix.

I used the FZ20 - an earlier version - up until last Fall and found the colours coming out it to be fabulous and frankly, better than my more expensive Nikon D80.

As an all-electronic camera, the Panasonic is basically an alternative to getting a single lens reflex digital where you have to change lenses.

Price is about $800 to $900 and by the time you get a couple of filters, cards, better battery, etc you're probably in the $1000-$1100 area.

The resolution at 420 mm on the camera will be somewhat dodgy, although functional . . . . but you could say the same thing about the cheaper lenses you can get for a Nikon or Canon.

I currently use a Nikon D80 . . . . but I still use my Panasonic on occasion and I'll be taking the Panasonic to Italy in a few weeks as a lighter travel camera.

All of the pictures at this link were taken with the Panasonic.

[url]http://www.goldentales.ca/summer.htm[/url]

Again, I use a Nikon D80 and with my lenses, batteries, filters, cards, etc, I'm currently kitted out at about $2,700. I'll be adding some upgraded, more specialty lenses later in the year, probably adding another $2,000 to the kit.

So . . . . . consider how much you want to spend on an SLR or whether or not you want the all-in-one kind of option I mentioned above.

Rick C
[url]www.goldentales.ca[/url]

trippincherri May 2nd, 2007 06:17 PM

The Panasonic has amazing color!! Very nice....Can I now change the name of the thread to " So VERY Confused" ? Lol.

I will look more into the Panasonic, though I am still favoring the Canon (I think I am biased without really intending to be :D )

Well I was going to buy my new camera this month, but my stupid car decided it needed a really expensive new part :rolleyes: , but I guess in a way it's a good thing, because this way I have more time to focus on what I really want in a camera and I won't rush into anything.

I definitley am sort of "camera dumb" :o , and it is funny because I can take some amazing pictures and my whole family thinks I am some sort of budding photographer yet half the time I totally fluke out and get the right shot.
I have no idea how I do it most times.
And I am not very good with camera lingo, but trying very hard to learn.
I spend a lot of time reading the manual and not understanding it.
So when I am stumped I will definitley ask you guys!!!

Thanks so much for all the advice and ideas.

Rick C May 3rd, 2007 02:40 PM

I was using the Panasonic example to point out there are some higher end options that don't have to be SLR's . . . .

Here is a 420 mm shot with the Panasonic . . . . there's some distortion/lack of clarity at this end of the focal length. Not as sharp as I'd want it. Other deficiencies that may or may not make a difference would be that it takes a few seconds to get going and it doesn't necessarily rapid-fire. The internal flash is superior to the more expensive Nikon D80's.

[IMG]http://www.goldentales.ca/12150031_edited-1.jpg[/IMG]

Rick C
[url]www.goldentales.ca[/url]

Prin May 3rd, 2007 10:50 PM

Yeah, the rebel's flash sucks hiney too. It kind of points down, so if you get a bigger lens, the lens gets in the way. :rolleyes: But you can get external flashes (my birthday's comin' :D).

The colors of the rebel are great too! :D I'd have better pics, but apparently we don't do anything colorful.lol
[IMG]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Aug%20Sep%20Oct%202006/IMG_3187.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Jan%20Feb%202007/IMG_6859.jpg[/IMG]

trippincherri May 3rd, 2007 11:24 PM

That picture looks totally fake Prin!! I know its not but it looks not at all like a picture but more like a painting. Jemma even looks like she was painted in, very cool.
Yes the colors are very sharp with the rebel too.
By the time I make up my mind there's going to be 10 new models on he market. Ugh technology is so hard to keep up to.

marko May 4th, 2007 10:50 AM

[QUOTE]Yeah, the rebel's flash sucks hiney too. It kind of points down, so if you get a bigger lens, the lens gets in the way. But you can get external flashes (my birthday's comin' ).[/QUOTE]

Prin is correct! In general those teeny pop up flashes are terrible for creating fabulous phohography.

So yup...save money and get an external flash if you are into seriously bettering your photography. With one of the external flashes, you can bounce the light or take the flash off camera which is WAY more creative - also external flashes SERIOUSLY reduce the chance of getting red-eye. :2cents:

thx

Marko