Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   labour signs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6855)

highhoney36 August 30th, 2004 01:10 PM

labour signs

Hi all, can anyone tell me what are some sure fire wasy to tell labour is starting?
Our dog is very close to her time and i did some research but I am wondering if i overlooked anything.
She keeps going into her special place and last night she had some watery stuff come out, and her vulva is quite swollen, I have a breeder coming tomorrow to help me thru this which I am very grateful plus my vet is on standby.

ThaiGhing August 30th, 2004 01:27 PM

What type of Puppies are you expecting??

Hi just wondered what kind of puppies you are expecting?? And how many?? Has your dog had puppies before??

SSAC August 30th, 2004 01:43 PM

When she's ready, her temperature will drop.

highhoney36 August 30th, 2004 04:27 PM

hi our dog is a golden retriever, and we don't know how many and we don;t know if she ever had pups before. WE rescued her a while back, she was left to fend for herself, she was skinny and starving pooor girl, but now she is hapy and healthy and very very loved.
She got pregnant by accident, we were told she was fixed. But surprise surprise!!!
So we are ready for pups, we have the time and space for it, I'm just very nervous!!

Freyja August 30th, 2004 08:17 PM

I am a midwife for people but..
It sounds like her membranes have ruptured and with swollen vulva sounds like things could be starting. Sorry, that is all I have.

Emmahunny September 27th, 2004 03:37 AM

[QUOTE=SSAC]When she's ready, her temperature will drop.[/QUOTE]
hi i have a dalmatian she is already 4 days late, acting very strange..crying panting...

i just took her for a little walk and noticed she has a runny stringy thing come out of her instead off a wee or poo, :confused: is she ready?

Mysts38 September 27th, 2004 06:06 AM

Heres some info for you

Hi

The first sign that the new puppy-family is on the way usually is signaled by the bitch's lack of interest in food about twenty-four hours before whelping. Then you may notice she will lick at her vulva and have slight abdominal cramping. Then the abdominal contractions become more frequent...about every half hour. All of a sudden you may notice a shiny, grayish sac drooping through the vulva; it looks like a gray water balloon. The bitch may walk around with this hanging out and will often open the "water sac" and a clear fluid will run out. The pup's on the way! In most cases the pup will be delivered within an hour of this sac being presented for your viewing pleasure since now the pup is surely in the pelvic canal. The first pup often is the most difficult for the bitch to pass, and she may strain quite hard and even moan a bit. Don't panic yet. (Although, it is a good idea to call your veterinarian and announce proudly "she's havin' 'em!". Now the entire animal hospital staff will be on the alert that you will be calling every fifteen minutes with updates on her progress.) If she hasn't passed the pup within one hour of the "water sac" showing, do call your veterinarian and discuss the need for her to be seen right away to help pass the pup.