Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   I am dumb (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34245)

Rottielover December 18th, 2006 12:50 PM

I am dumb

I just found out what I was doing for harley to get him to drink by mixing his raw food, water and kibble is potentially dangerous,.
They do not digest the same which means the bacteria stays in his system longer.
Ok, starting tonight no more mixing. raw in the morning, kibble at night....Poor dog seems to be dealing with a misinformed owner. But I am learning

erykah1310 December 18th, 2006 12:54 PM

:grouphug: Rottielover, we all make mistakes. I over fed bone and ended up with powder poop for afew days.
Is harley alright now?:pray:

technodoll December 18th, 2006 01:00 PM

rottielover, it IS ok to feed kibble and boneless raw meat at the same time if your dog can handle it - if harley was ok before on this diet, than he'll be ok now :) The rare kibble meals i feed dakotah are always mixed with boneless ground raw meat and i think the enzymes in the raw meat *help* him digest the kibble. But then again i only feed grainless kibble so that might be the trick... no grains left to ferment in the gut after the raw has been digested :shrug:

what is [U]not [/U]advised is to feed raw meaty bones with the kibble, as bones take more work to digest and then you have potential mess in the gut. it's really a question of knowing your dog and sticking with what works :o

how is harley today, has he finally pooped?

PS: raw or cooked liver is a great remedy against constipation... it really gets things moving :yuck:

Scott_B December 18th, 2006 01:05 PM

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself or worry too much about it. There is some debate over the truth of that, as some people have said it is nothing more then something certain raw feeders have come up with, in their protest of kibble. It is just a myth. But once again, we are left to do our own research and do what we feel comfortable doing. But if your pup is still doing ok with the switch, then I would just keep it that way.

And its just like feeding anything, be it kibble or raw, we are all constantly learning :thumbs up

[QUOTE=Rottielover;338587]I just found out what I was doing for harley to get him to drink by mixing his raw food, water and kibble is potentially dangerous,.
They do not digest the same which means the bacteria stays in his system longer.
Ok, starting tonight no more mixing. raw in the morning, kibble at night....Poor dog seems to be dealing with a misinformed owner. But I am learning[/QUOTE]

Rottielover December 18th, 2006 01:07 PM

His poops is back to normal thanks to the flagil. But it still has not passed. If does not pass by tomorrow, I will do another xray.
He has part of his energy back to.
TD, I read with the what is the difference between Barf and RAW, BARF says never to feed kibble because of the reason stated.
because of the bacteria is in the stomache longer because of the kibble...
I am so confused:frustrated: :cool: :pawprint:

technodoll December 18th, 2006 01:17 PM

yes it's confusing, there is alot of conflicting information out there, myths, scare tactics, anecdotes, studies, counter-studies... sigh. you just need to find what YOU are comfortable with and what works for harley, find a support group who does what you do with success and that will clear some doubts and questions ;)

as scott mentioned, alot of this "no kibble and raw together" is myth, but there is some truth to it too. i'm not saying play with harley's health to figure it out, but if you were doing it before and he was fine, there is no reason for it to be dangerous now IMO. once his GI tract is back to normal from the bone scare (if it IS bone and nothing else!) i would personally just continue feeding how i was before and save yourself some headaches :)

x.l.r.8 December 18th, 2006 05:34 PM

Liver moves thing on? does this mean the reason my wife had to deal with splats this weekend was because of all the liver he has been getting? or is ot only if they are constipated, i may have to bring out the pumpkin tonight? Sorry for the thread jack but I'm about to go and scrape onother one up and I have no idea why?

technodoll December 18th, 2006 07:13 PM

yes too much liver "gets things moving", ie cannon butt, the splats, etc :rolleyes: most dogs can only tolerate a very small amount at a time and it doesn't matter if it's raw, cooked or dehydrated :o

rainbow December 18th, 2006 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=technodoll]what is not advised is to feed raw meaty bones with the kibble, as bones take more work to digest and then you have potential mess in the gut.[/QUOTE]

Is it alright to feed kibble at breakfast and then a raw meaty bone a couple hours later? :o

technodoll December 18th, 2006 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow]Is it alright to feed kibble at breakfast and then a raw meaty bone a couple hours later? [/QUOTE]

i say it always depends on the individual dog but the recommendation is to feed raw meaty bones first as they get digested faster, then the kibble later on an empty stomach... i've seen dogs vomit perfectly intact kibble hours after eating it so yeah, for sure it takes longer to digest than raw :o BUT every dog is different so you might just want to test it yourself, the worst that can happen is some gas or runny poops..? :pawprint:

OntarioGreys December 18th, 2006 10:32 PM

On the greyhound tracks the diet is a mix of kibble, raw ground beef, veggies, fruit and supplements all mixed together with a bit a water that is approximately 80,000 on the us tracks, all very healthy dogs the trainers would not be feeding this way if it was creating sick dogs as sick dogs won't want to run and therefore would not be earning money