Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat behavior forum - cat training (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Cats + climbing + sticky tape = not caring !? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30247)

dtbmnec August 31st, 2006 08:17 AM

Cats + climbing + sticky tape = not caring !?

I got fed up with picking up computer keyboard pieces off the floor and other stuff so I finally went out and stuck some double-sided tape on some stuff in hopes that it will deterr the boys from climbing up them. I bought the "light traffic carpet tape" because that's the only tape I could find at Canadian Tire. It's been there for close to a week now and all I have is little paw prints all over the sticky tape and cats who aren't phased by it! Arrrrg.

*sigh* Back to the spray bottle I suppose...

The good thing out of the buying of the carpet tape is that I no longer have to wrench open the bathroom door (I have pieces of carpeting in there)! I actually USED it for what it should have been used for lol!

Anyone else got tips? I just want to keep them off the wooden shelving units...keeping them off the table is all but impossible at this point. (We have a half wall that "leads" into the kitchen and the table is on the other side of it so they can jump down really easily and always do. Usually only when they're playing or I've left something remotely smelly on it. Little demon boys.)

Megan

katy052480 August 31st, 2006 01:28 PM

I have used Duct tape - sticky side up taped down at the corners with masking tape so it doesn't ruin the furniture. It is stickier than the carpet tape and keeps my cats off the kitchen counters and my computer desk in the office. I put it in two rows next to each other at the edge of the counter or desk so that when they jump up on it they hit it right away and jump off to get away. I have also tried empty soda cans lining the edge of the kitchen counters so they the cats hit them when they jump up and it makes noise when they fall and scares them away- it works but I have a large space in the kitchen so it wasn't feasible - doesn't work so well on carpets.

jiorji August 31st, 2006 02:27 PM

i hate to tell you this, but you can't ask a cat to not climb. It's what they do. They pounce and they climb on things. you should get a giant cat tree/scartching post, floor to ceiling, to accomodate for their need to climb if you want them off furniture.

When you get a pet you should know the issues that are related to that. In some ways, when you get a pet you restrict yourself from some things because it may hurt the pet (ie plants) or because the pet will ruin it, like certain carpets. So you have to get used to the idea that cats will go everywhere and sniff everything and be active at night. I don't know any cats that don't jump on tables(well unless people are eating).
You have to cat proof your house so these accidents don't happen.....hide your keyboard or put it up in a way that they don't step on it.

dogmelissa August 31st, 2006 02:50 PM

[url]http://cats.about.com/cs/behavioralissues/a/counter_surfing.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.catsnap.org/PDF/Gotkitten.pdf[/url]

I've had success with the tin can with a penny or two in it (makes a heck of a noise if they knock it off and works as a visual deterrent). I'd suggest you use this trick (or anything else) for the entire length of the half wall, and simply not allow them on the wall or the table. I've also had success with empty pop bottles (nothing in them) simply because they're big and bulky and you can line the edges of things with them so the cats think they can't get past (or over if it's on your counter).
One thing to keep in mind when trying to find a way to deter a cat is that most cats are looking for something to "push-off" of with their back feet when they're jumping over. They don't normally "clear" things, if they have a lip or vertical edge with a drop behind it, and they don't think the vertical edge is stable, they probably won't jump. Pop bottles are great for that, because they'll try it once, realize that it all falls down (which makes a good sound on hard flooring from a kitchen counter height, too!), and will be less likely to do it again. My smartest cat Rusty is easily contained by a 2' high wire dog exercise pen. I know she can jump over it, as she can jump to the top of my 7' high book shelf, but she just sits on the deck next to it and refuses to jump. Taz has never tried, but he's not much of a jumper anyhow.

Hope those help... if possible, buy or build a multi-leveled "cat tree" for them to play and scratch on, and they'll be less likely to climb your shelves. Try a sheet of tinfoil on the keyboard if they play with it.

Good luck!
Melissa

dtbmnec August 31st, 2006 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=jiorji]i hate to tell you this, but you can't ask a cat to not climb. It's what they do. They pounce and they climb on things. you should get a giant cat tree/scartching post, floor to ceiling, to accomodate for their need to climb if you want them off furniture.

When you get a pet you should know the issues that are related to that. In some ways, when you get a pet you restrict yourself from some things because it may hurt the pet (ie plants) or because the pet will ruin it, like certain carpets. So you have to get used to the idea that cats will go everywhere and sniff everything and be active at night. I don't know any cats that don't jump on tables(well unless people are eating).
You have to cat proof your house so these accidents don't happen.....hide your keyboard or put it up in a way that they don't step on it.[/QUOTE]

I"m not asking them to not climb at all just not where our breakables are! lol If it wasn't for the breakables I wouldn't have a problem with it. We havent' got any other place for us to put them (other than storage...if they're there what's the point of having them?).

I am planning on getting them a huge cat tree but right now the funds aren't there for it. In a year...in a year many things will happen! That and not just for them but for me too! lol :) Mmmm money again! lol

I don't mind them on the table so much since well I've all but given up on it. As to the counters I hope they don't jump up on the stove because its the "most accessible" from anywhere. I'd really rather NOT have to take them to the vet for burns.

lol as to the keyboard...that was an issue that only happened because my PC was being repaired...they can't toss it off the wall units anymore...:) I have a black thumb when it comes to plants and carpeting is only at the door and under the chair so the neighbour doesn't complain about it.

Megan

JoshLauraMcGirr September 1st, 2006 07:35 PM

Hey, dtbmnec. Try using aluminum foil. Crumple it up just a little bit, and tape the edges down (loosely) on the edges of your computer desk. When the cat jumps on it, the noise and the light reflecting off of the aluminum foil, should keep them away..... atleast for a little bit. I used that for Isabell, to keep her off of my kitchen counter. She hates the sound of Aluminum foil.... and I think she hates the way it feels on her paws even more.

Hope this helps,
Laura

MyBirdIsEvil September 1st, 2006 08:04 PM

[QUOTE]I don't know any cats that don't jump on tables[/QUOTE]

:confused: You can train your cats not to jump on tables.

Kittens are the easiest to teach not to jump on stuff, but you have to be persistant with it. Unless you get something really high that they're allowed to sit on though, they're going to have the urge to go sit up high on something, which will end up being your tables, counters, and other furniture.

I simply startled my kittens off of the kitchen table with a squirt bottle. Really I could care less if my cats get on the table, but at the time I was living with my parents and they didn't like it.
Also, don't leave anything on top of your tables (food etc.) that they might want, or else you're going to be in an endless battle with them.
I also taught 2 of my kittens to sit nicely at the table on one of the chairs. I'd sit in one chair, the kitten would sit in another, and the longer the kitten sat there nicely without putting paws on the table, the more treats they'd get. This also seemed to deter them from getting on the tables a lot because they associate the chair and the floor with treats, not my parents table.
It also helps to give them lots of play time with you, and mental stimulation. People make the mistake of thinking "oh, they're cats, they're independent and they'll play on their own". I think this is a mistake. The friendliest most well behaved cats I had, had LOTS of human attention ,interaction and handling as kittens. Cats should be socialized and trained young just like any other animal (if possible).
Just like a dog, if you leave your kittens to play by themselves constantly they'll be more "cat-like" and have a harder time understanding you. You CAN teach a cat commands and words, just like a dog, and it makes them much easier to manage, but in my experience this has to be done young. If you wait too long the cat has no urge to learn anything from you because they never got as attached to you as a kitten. Older cats can be taught things with treats, but if they didn't get the human attention/interaction as kittens, it'll be a lot harder and take longer to teach them anything.

papillonmama September 2nd, 2006 09:46 AM

My ex and I had three cats, we trained them you just have to be patient and consistant, We didn't use spray bottles, we had to supervise them all the time. During the day they were perfect creatures, so sweet and adoring, then at night, it sounded like we let in the elephants. Sometimes it was scary they were so loud.

So here's what we did to train them, three cats and they were pretty kitteny kind of cats very quick and playful, mine didn't respond to water sprays at all, so we would give them time outs. Very quickly they knew we meant business, so if one was climbing the walls and attacking everyone we would put them in the bathroom, when they quieted down we would let them out again, it was all I could do with them, they were quite overwhelming. We always would say something so they knew we didn't approve too, like I would always say AH AH AH. They would know that it wasn't okay and would stop what they were doing. They became so well trained that when I would say that, the wrong doer would put themselves into time out. It just takes a lot of persistance. And sometimes you have to give in a little. Like at night, I would just close the door to the bedroom and let the elephants party. It was kind of like during the day it was our house and at night it was theirs.

They were really well trained though, I could put my cat on my shoulders and walk around outside with her like that, she would just stay there, she didn't need a harness, even though she always wore one. Geez, now I really miss them, but I hope that helped.

There are also websites that give you ideas for making your own cat tree, I googled it a while back, it's worth a shot.

Good luck:thumbs up

Bensonk September 5th, 2006 10:27 AM

Cats + climbing + sticky tape = not caring !?

I, too, have used sticky tape with no effect. We use time-outs also, and it takes a while, so be patient (and consistent). My belief is that the cat needs to get to the point that they understand not only "I'm on the counter--ah oh, I'll be put in the bathroom now", but also the concept of "if I want to see what's up there, then I'll be put in the bathroom". They need to learn to recognize the sequence of both the instinct (possible goodies, must explore) AND the inevitable consequence before they act on it. Same as biting hands or any other unacceptable behavior you train them out of.

My kittens still learning too (they wear us out some days); but, I've had many cats in my life and they've all been successfully trained to stay off counters, come when called, etc. Cats can be trained, so hang in there!

dtbmnec September 5th, 2006 11:40 AM

Well either they've stopped climbing in front of us or they've just been actually keeping off stuff but I haven't heard any more crashes of something on the floor!

The only issue still is the table but since we almost never use it to sit down and eat (and when we do the cats stay AWAY...lol they know!) its not too much of a problem. :)

Now to stop having them sound like a herd of elephants....:p (jk...they can do that all they want :) )

Megan

busterandmoe October 19th, 2006 02:19 PM

Climbing Cats

I am also afraid my boys (Buster and Moe) will jump up onto the stove and it would be nice if they didn't go on the kitchen table, but...

A spray bottle worked when they were kitties, but then they started to like the water so they could lick it off!

As they are approaching their first birthday, all of a sudden Buster started jumping again, so I tried the duct tape. He loves that even more than the water! He jumps on it and licks it until it's not sticky anymore! Funny Buster!

I think I'll try the tin foil and see if that does it. Once they stop jumping, can you take the foil off?

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cindy

CyberKitten October 19th, 2006 02:34 PM

I hate the notion of spray bottles and they are useful only if the cat does not see you doing it. If they see you, they associate the unpleasant water torture with you and not with what they are doing. Sticky tape can work but cats are cats and they climb. I have a Siamese and 2 Sphynxes - all climbers. I just make sure I have no valuables where they will climb and put a gate near the kitchen when I am not home if they happen to be alone tho I occasionally hire a sitter and YY (my meezer) comes to work with me often. I worry about the kitchen more because of the stove - I envision them turning it on - they are all very bright kitties!!

Give them lots of other alternatives but cats will climb, esp certain breeds like meezers, lol I guess it is fortunate mine all want to be near me when I am home though - so there is less climbing then. Find lots of other distractions is my advice and don't apply adverse behaviour mod - it may work with dogs (who like to obey) but not with cats who are tyoo smart for such foolishness - in their minds, lol

brandynva October 19th, 2006 05:04 PM

Our cat Otis is so good at not jumping on anything other than the back of the couch. Thing is, at night he gets on all the counters because we hear his feet hit the floor after everyone is in bed! Smart cat! :cat: Good luck!