Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Deaf Cat Howl - Rescue Remedy? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83487)

Longblades February 19th, 2013 07:46 PM

Deaf Cat Howl - Rescue Remedy?

Has anybody used Rescue Remedy successfully to thwart deaf cat howl? I googled and found folks using it for different stresses in cats but nothing specifically for the howl. Or anything else you have tried and works?

Jull February 19th, 2013 08:12 PM

Well I dont have cats but I do use the rescue remedy with my little guys, especially when going to the groomers or a vet visit; I give it to guero more, as he seems to be more nervous about everything.

You could try it and see if it works, it wont hurt your kitty either way:thumbs up or maybe look through the different bach flowers and make your own mix.

pbpatti February 19th, 2013 08:31 PM

I use Flower essences on Sasha and they work really well. Whenever she has injured herself I have given her some and she has recovered very quickly.

Barkingdog February 20th, 2013 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=Longblades;1054012]Has anybody used Rescue Remedy successfully to thwart deaf cat howl? I googled and found folks using it for different stresses in cats but nothing specifically for the howl. Or anything else you have tried and works?[/QUOTE]

Does he howl louder than a cat that can hear? I am thinking of using something that vibrate , the cat could feel this and that may help him relax.
Deaf people loves to play music really [B]LOUD[/B] so they can feel the vibration . There are clocks that vibrate , you could put it under a blanket for the cat. Cats do love to sleep with other cats and the vibration would feel like a cat purring.

Longblades February 20th, 2013 10:55 AM

We are already using vibrations and she can still hear a bit so we can yell. But neither of these is fun in the middle of the night when we're trying to sleep.

YES, SHE HOWLS LOUDER THAN A CAT THAT CAN HEAR. :( But not always, sometimes she mutters to herself. We are sure there is a certain amount of dementia as well.

I googled some more last night and there is a vibrating anti-bark collar device for dogs that some have put under the cat's bed (too big for cats) and it activates with barking. So I wonder if a dog e-collar that vibrates, with remote, might help us at night.

I'm also going to look at the DAP diffusers used for dogs. I guess I need a CAP diffuser.

Sigh, we actually have two deaf cats with deaf cat howl. But the other one howls much less frequently and not at night.

sugarcatmom February 20th, 2013 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=Longblades;1054026]
I'm also going to look at the DAP diffusers used for dogs. I guess I need a CAP diffuser.[/QUOTE]

You mean Feliway? I have a hard-of-hearing (not totally deaf yet) nighttime howler myself and while the Feliway diffusers have worked great for other things, they haven't helped with the yowling. Hopefully you'll have better luck!

Barkingdog February 20th, 2013 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=Longblades;1054026]We are already using vibrations and she can still hear a bit so we can yell. But neither of these is fun in the middle of the night when we're trying to sleep.

YES, SHE HOWLS LOUDER THAN A CAT THAT CAN HEAR. :( But not always, sometimes she mutters to herself. We are sure there is a certain amount of dementia as well.

I googled some more last night and there is a vibrating anti-bark collar device for dogs that some have put under the cat's bed (too big for cats) and it activates with barking. So I wonder if a dog e-collar that vibrates, with remote, might help us at night.

I'm also going to look at the DAP diffusers used for dogs. I guess I need a CAP diffuser.

Sigh, we actually have two deaf cats with deaf cat howl. But the other one howls much less frequently and not at night.[/QUOTE]

Get a hearing aid for her! Joking! Gee this is a tough one , if your cat enjoys feeling vibrations, I wonder if a vibrating anti-bark collar device would stop her from howling . Would she still howl if she slept in your bedroom at night?

RUSTYcat February 21st, 2013 02:19 PM

Hi [B]Longblades[/B]!

Just posting to put a 'bug in your ear'.....I'm familiar with the 'deaf cat howling' syndrome, but I thought I'd mention this to you - something to consider/put-in-your-back-pocket-sort-of-thing - perhaps a consideration for her next annual checkup.

You haven't mentioned her age, but you did dementia - so, perhaps she is getting up there. Now, night howling in older cats is frequently enough associated with hyperthyroidism and hypertension. Here's a useful page from one of the absolute-all-time-best online resources - look at "Howling, Especially at Night": [url]http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms_treatments_index.htm#H[/url]

Certainly not to be disregarded.......

Longblades February 21st, 2013 04:05 PM

Thanks RUSTY cat. Ginger is 20. This howling has been going on for a couple of years. It's only recently it has been all night. Before she'd howl as she settled in for the night but sleep through. We have been doing senior blood panels and the only thing showing is early stage kidney failure. She has considerable arthritis going on which we address with Cartrophen Vet and that works wonders for her. She only this past summer stopped bounding to the top of her cat stand. She can still get up on furniture and a nice sunny 30 inch high window ledge. The annual Vet appt. is due soon and I will ask about hyperthyroidism and hypertension in light of the increase in howling.

I bought some Rescue Remedy today and will try it tonight. The lady at the health food store says it relieves stress in her cat but her cat isn't howling.

Barkingdog, Ginger sleeps in my sewing room/laundry room. Unfortunately she has always been a very crabby cat and does not like the other three cats we have. ONe of them actively dislikes her back. This has been going on for 15 years so there's nothing we can do about it now. Ginger chose the room she sleeps in and it's safer for her. The other cat will attack her. We have to keep them apart, especially now that Ginger is quite deaf.

Barkingdog February 21st, 2013 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=Longblades;1054075]Thanks RUSTY cat. Ginger is 20. This howling has been going on for a couple of years. It's only recently it has been all night. Before she'd howl as she settled in for the night but sleep through. We have been doing senior blood panels and the only thing showing is early stage kidney failure. She has considerable arthritis going on which we address with Cartrophen Vet and that works wonders for her. She only this past summer stopped bounding to the top of her cat stand. She can still get up on furniture and a nice sunny 30 inch high window ledge. The annual Vet appt. is due soon and I will ask about hyperthyroidism and hypertension in light of the increase in howling.

I bought some Rescue Remedy today and will try it tonight. The lady at the health food store says it relieves stress in her cat but her cat isn't howling.

Barkingdog, Ginger sleeps in my sewing room/laundry room. Unfortunately she has always been a very crabby cat and does not like the other three cats we have. ONe of them actively dislikes her back. This has been going on for 15 years so there's nothing we can do about it now. Ginger chose the room she sleeps in and it's safer for her. The other cat will attack her. We have to keep them apart, especially now that Ginger is quite deaf.[/QUOTE]

Poor Ginger, is has to be very confusing to her not being able to hear anymore. I hope the Rescue Remedy will help so you can get some ZZZZ.

RUSTYcat February 21st, 2013 06:19 PM

[QUOTE=Longblades;1054075]... We have been doing senior blood panels and the only thing showing is early stage kidney failure.....I will ask about hyperthyroidism and hypertension in light of the increase in howling....[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, "ordinary" bloodwork doesn't always reveal geriatric Hyper-T. It would help you, I believe, to try and get a handle on why - plus what tests are better for old cats - before you see the Vet, because, in my experience,many Vets are unaware of this and insist that the standard tests are "quite sufficient". The info you'll need is here: [url]http://www.felinecrf.org/hyperthyroidism.htm#hyperthyroid_crf[/url] (test info is under "Diagnosis", the whole page is an interesting read anyway, especially on the connection between kidney disease and Hyper-T)

I don't want you to think I'm pushing this - it's this way: if I were you, I would want to know...

Longblades February 21st, 2013 07:07 PM

I will because my Vet does not imbue me with a lot of confidence.

Jim Hall February 21st, 2013 08:56 PM

does she like humans ? does she stop when she sees you ? try to leave a shirt or a blanket with your scent on it

Reg February 21st, 2013 11:35 PM

I am glad to see that you picked up some Rescue Remedy. With my 5 cats I wouldn't be without it. Hopefully the lady at the health food store pointed out different methods of using it on the cats, but just in case she didn't I will explain the different methods I've used, which I have found worked quite well. If you are using the alcohol base Rescue Remedy I have found that it is too hard to administer orally. If you are using eyedropper bottle I'll put a couple drops behind both ears, or a couple drops between the toes on the front feet. I have also put a few drops on the belly and rubbed it in. But the method I have found the best in a multi-household is to add it to the drinking water. I'll put 6 drops in the drinking water every time I change it and I usually change once a day. If you're using the fountain at 6 drops daily and don't forget to add the 6 drops when you change water in the fountain.

I would have to think that there is some stress between the other cats as well, and if it's mixed into the water and they are feeling the stress it will work on them as well, if they are not stressed it will have no affect. That's one of the nice things about Rescue Remedy you don't have to worry about overdosing with it. It might take you to a 3 days to see any results, and I think with Ginger I would be administering a little extra individually to her for the first day or 2 to hopefully bring down the stress level a little faster.

Rescue remedy won't work in every case but it's worth a try. I had a customer that had a cantankerous stallion they could not load in the trailer until after they had mixed it in the drinking water for the horse, and within a couple minutes of finishing the water they were able to lead the horse into the trailer.

I really hope this helps to relieve some of the stress for Ginger and you know you could take some of the Rescue Remedy to help relieve some of your stress as well. LOL

I don't know whether you have seen this website, it could be of interest.

[url]http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-pets-bach-flower/[/url]

Longblades February 22nd, 2013 08:22 AM

Well, I think we had some success last night. Either that or the OH and I were both so tired after three nights of howling that we conked out. I didn't hear any howling at all. The OH says he did but it was only about 4 times and not on and on and on and on and on and on like the last nights. Maybe Ginger was so tired she couldn't keep it up. We'll see how it goes but so far looks like it has improved things.

I put three drops on the back of her head, just behind her ears and rubbed it in a bit at bedtime.

Ginger has never been a cuddly cat. 30 seconds of petting is all she can take and wants down or will growl and swat us away. She likes to be in the room with us but not interacting. She is quite content when I have a sewing project going on because then I'm in HER room, where she feels safe and comfortable. Unfortunately I am not sewing for a profession so I'm not there on a regular basis. A piece of our clothing doesn't seem to make a difference.

Right now we are certain there is dementia going on, she'll look in our direction but seem not to see us and howl. She'll walk through the living room, right past us, get up on the chesterfield, facing the back, and HOWL. We'll yell GINGER and she'll turn around and look at us as if to say, "Oh, there you are." Poor old thing.

Jull February 22nd, 2013 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=Longblades;1054106]Well, I think we had some success last night. Either that or the OH and I were both so tired after three nights of howling that we conked out. I didn't hear any howling at all. The OH says he did but it was only about 4 times and not on and on and on and on and on and on like the last nights. Maybe Ginger was so tired she couldn't keep it up. We'll see how it goes but so far looks like it has improved things.

I put three drops on the back of her head, just behind her ears and rubbed it in a bit at bedtime.

Ginger has never been a cuddly cat. 30 seconds of petting is all she can take and wants down or will growl and swat us away. She likes to be in the room with us but not interacting. She is quite content when I have a sewing project going on because then I'm in HER room, where she feels safe and comfortable. Unfortunately I am not sewing for a profession so I'm not there on a regular basis. A piece of our clothing doesn't seem to make a difference.

Right now we are certain there is dementia going on, she'll look in our direction but seem not to see us and howl. She'll walk through the living room, right past us, get up on the chesterfield, facing the back, and HOWL. We'll yell GINGER and she'll turn around and look at us as if to say, "Oh, there you are." Poor old thing.[/QUOTE]

I am glad to hear you at least got some sleep now :highfive:

Poor Ginger, it must be really hard for you seeing her going through all this. :2huggers:

Longblades February 23rd, 2013 09:20 AM

I hope I don't jinx us but another good night. Not completely quiet but much better.

Ginger actually has a pretty good life for her age. She's pretty mobile, eats well, has several cosy sleeping spots about the house that she rotates to, following the sunshine. She has all her teeth. Grooming is hard for her with her arthritis but she still has a full, healthy looking coat. She is no longer able to keep her hooks short by using her scratching post so I now have to trim them and she can fight, hiss, growl, bite and scratch like the devil when she wants too. LOL

Reg February 23rd, 2013 10:56 PM

Hopefully you have a handle on the problem with Ginger. I have noticed in the past with both the animals, and ourselves if one of the occupants of the house becomes stressed it's like the flu, it goes and will affect the rest of us. For some unknown reason we humans don't seem to pick up on this problem. If you're adding a bit of the Rescue Remedy to their drinking water it will help calm the other cats as well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the continued success with Ginger's stress problem. Getting a good night sleep means so much to us as well as the cats.