Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   E. Coli in dogs - Answered by Dr. Slome (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=704)

aaaa September 11th, 2002 10:31 AM

E. Coli in dogs

Hi,

My neighbor's dog recently survived a terrible attack of E. Coli, but he
came close to death. She told me that her dog had recently been out to
swim and play at our local marsh and that is where her dog contracted
the organism.

I replied that there must be fecal matter in that area, but she said,
"No." I disagree with her, of course.

I feel that this case should be reported to the proper authorities, but
wonder if her lack of information on this topic could hinder this and,
thus, put other pet owners at risk. I will keep from taking my dog to
romp in that area, but what about other dogs?

Could you please comment on my observations? I would like to present my
neighbor with information that might help her to understand the
seriousness of this situation.

Thank you,

Patricia

petdr September 11th, 2002 10:35 AM

E.Coli is certainly a bacteria that shouldn't be taken lightly. However, unfortunately, this is a very widespread contaminant and may even have its source from a rotting small animal carcass. Not all strains are as deadly or serious as the one from Walkerton. What I might consider doing is the contacting the Veterinarian who diagnosed the E.Coli and ask him/her if this condition has been reported to the local health authorities. I agree that I would not take my pet to this area also, but there are also a lot of other environmental contaminants of land and water including Salmonella and Giardia. So the question is where do you draw the line.

I guess we all live with the risk we are most comfortable with.

It may be worth investigating if there are any other known cases reported of this disease in the area.

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street Units 40-42
Thornhill
Ontario
L4J 7Y3
(905) 771-9855

Weary Watchdog August 26th, 2003 02:04 PM

E-Coli

Shadow has not been diagnosed as of yet. I am still waiting for lab results that should have been in this morning at 10:00 AM
I am going to call Tufts, as I have had it with the imbeciles down here. I already lost one dog last month. If I can save my little guy, I will go to the top.

Weary Watchdog October 2nd, 2003 11:17 AM

E-Coli

Thanks for your input. Shadow was diagnosed with hepatits. Not doggie hepatitis, but bacterial hepatits. They did a liver biopsy on him because his liver enzymes were elevated.
After the wonderful care they gave him for the week he was there, they sent him home on meds for 6 weeks, and advised me to walk him and my other pets away from the septic system back up.
I had to take him over to a friends house, because it is not safe anywhere in this yard, and he is super sensitive to the smells of course.
However, I see him almost everyday, and he is doing awesome. His color is good and his eyes are bright again. He just finished his medication last night and he is doing well there.
The vet at Tufts told me his hepatitis could be caused by contact with animal and/or human waste. I brought him back last week for another liver panel and his liver enzymes are back to normal and his long term prognosis is excellent.
Thanks for your help and Pachiz for babysitting me through this, I feel like a jerk sending him to friends, but he is my "BOY CHILD" and I have to protect him and I cannot do that here. I almost feel like I have abandoned him, even though I know I haven't. But I sure do miss him on the passenger side of my bed, and the back of my truck, but, I can see him whenever I want. And most important he is now HEALTHY, and I intend to keep him that way!!!!

Pachiz October 3rd, 2003 09:47 PM

Hey
I'm so glad to hear Shadow is doing so well.
Sorry I haven't been around much, school keeps be busy, but I finally got a notebook :)
Take care,
Pachiz

Weary Watchdog October 4th, 2003 07:48 AM

I had my 8 month old Belgium Shepard, RENO up to Tufts this week, as she got under a tarp I had laid on the ground, and got into the muck under it. She developed anorexia, diarreah, and was running a temp of 103, and she lost 4 lbs in one week. She had gotten into this crap here 3 days previous to her illness. I ran her up and explained about SHADOW, and they put her on the meds.
I am happy to say, I have solid fecal matter out of her now and she is doing well. Her blood profile should be back on Monday, but they covered all bases with the meds, just because of the situation on this property.
I battened down the hatches here and run her up to the farm once a day to let her let off some puppy steam, and she is doing well.
Pachiz, keep up the work in school, it is the top priority and congrats on your notebook.
Thanks again for being there!!!!!!:D

rtvickers April 7th, 2009 10:36 PM

e coli

Hello, I recently noticed that my dog had an absess on his right rear paw. I took him to the vet and they did a culture of it and found out that it had e coli and staff infections. They told me that it was from the environment. I was wondering how he could have gotten this in his foot? He really only goes out in the backyard. Also what do I need to do to my backyard to kill these diseases? I do not have any kind of standing water or drinking water in my yard. I am begining treatment on him, but I want make sure that it doesnt happen again. Any information would be appricated.

Thank you