Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   need a dog psychologist (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80522)

Canuck00 March 16th, 2012 10:40 PM

need a dog psychologist

First, an update, it's been awhile since I been in here. Life with Rudy is great, he's a fanatstic buddy. He trained well, and no issues. Had him fixed, and it really settled him into routine and normality, and he doesn't hump the cactus plants without thinking first anymore.

Anyway, he's doing something for the last couple months I can't figure. At night (he's sleeps with us in our bed), my wife goes to bed and I generally stay up a hour or so past. When it's time to go down for the night, I let him out for a final pee, and off I go.

Usually lately, he hangs back for a second. I say, "Rudy, let's go", and then he starts to search for something to take to bed with him. Not any specifc toy or anything, it just doesn't matter, a sock, a kid's toy, a facecloth from the laundry bin, a shoe, anything that he can get his teeth into. He drags whatever he finds into the bedroom, drops it and jumps up into the bed and forgets whatever it was he dragged in.

I mean, what's the point????? :shrug:

It's funny as heck, but what's in that mind?

Also, just lately he stopped lifting the leg and went back into the lean forward squat to pee, like when he was a pup. He isn't hurt or favoring a leg or anything, and runs a mile a minute so I know it isn't medical, he just decided one day to stop lifting and start leaning. He's been fixed for months, so I'm not sure that it's just not that he cares to mark anymore.

So, what's your opinion on his brain waves?

BenMax March 17th, 2012 07:27 AM

I don't think there is an issue with him bringing in his 'comfort' object. Just as long as he does not chew it, then there does not seem reason for alarm.
As far as the way he pee's..not sure when you had him neutered but this is not unusual for dogs to do this either. Infact I have 3 male dogs that pee like this in the backyard, however all three will lift their leg while on walks.
I think that when they pee as puppies do, it is a 'true' pee - meaning that they are doing this to relieve themselves because they truly have to go. When they lift the leg and 'spot' pee, this is a territorial pee to mark high.

This is my take on the whole pee situation anyways. :)

As far has him bringing in something that he loves..I think that is rather cute.

serenamlambe March 17th, 2012 07:41 AM

Hey Canuck00 -

My dog, Connor, does the "comfort object" routine as well. For a long time, it was specific toy that he would bring to bed every night. However, he eventually destroyed it and then he just started bringing whatever he could find to bed. He might be on our bed sleeping and, when we get in, he runs out to the living room to grab a toy. He may just leave it on the bed or he may rest his head on it.

I think most dogs have some weird quirks like that! Just part of what makes them interesting! Hahah.

Marty11 March 17th, 2012 10:37 AM

Is he by chance a "Golden" they love to gather and carry objects. :) My dog squated to pee too, never lifted his leg.

DobeOwnrX2 May 2nd, 2012 04:42 PM

Have you changed anything outside or in your bedroom?

Dog Dancer May 2nd, 2012 05:19 PM

Odd behaviours are the norm with dogs I think. My female Shadow always lifted her leg to pee as she was a very dominant dog and was trying to mark. Only in old age when her legs were too weak did this stop. It wouldn't surprise me if you boy doesn't start lifting again one day. Perhaps he tried to mark a cactus and missed his marker... :eek:

I agree with BM, I think the lifting this is much more marking generated and if he's newly neutered he doesn't have the urge. My brother's old male poodle years ago used to pee by standing on his front two legs and peeing all down his belly! It was nasty but funny to watch and impossible to explain.

Longblades May 3rd, 2012 08:05 AM

I agree with all that neither behaviour is a concern and the object to bed one is unbearably cute. Just make sure you keep a supply of clean, approved objects nearby for him to grab, in case one ends up near your face. Many dogs do something similar when someone comes to the door. It is like their "blankie" and helps calm them down. Some even suckle on it. For my sister's first dog it was a blankie and he did suckle. Talk about copious dog spit, ugh.

jenniferkdiaz May 15th, 2012 01:36 AM

I think, he starts to become a lazy dog nowadays. You know, does lift his leg to pee. Maybe you could ask some help from a dog psychologist or what.