Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   White Hosta's (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65207)

breeze August 26th, 2009 10:32 AM

White Hosta's

2 Attachment(s)
I have only seen purple ones, until now. My friend gave these to me from her camp site.
the steams are so thick compaired to the purple ones.
there are so many blooms!!! and white!!! I was very surprised

[ATTACH]57144[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57145[/ATTACH]

Winston August 26th, 2009 10:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
hey breeze i have those! they are stunning arent they! they are supposed to grow to about 3 ft around and the flowers are the size of my head! :D

breeze August 26th, 2009 10:43 AM

I love the white ones....

mine are just babies but next year I was told that they will multiply.

pbpatti August 26th, 2009 10:54 AM

they are beautiful, I learned something today, I did not even know that Hostas flowered. What beautiful blossoms.

pbpatti August 26th, 2009 10:54 AM

Would these grow in Edmonton?

mollywog August 26th, 2009 11:01 AM

those are beautiful! And the plant itself is quite large and lovely!

Melinda August 26th, 2009 11:03 AM

I have them also and are just now in bloom when all the rest have died down

breeze August 26th, 2009 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=pbpatti;819002]Would these grow in Edmonton?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea but you could always try..:thumbs up

breeze August 26th, 2009 11:08 AM

they are so easy to grow, so that is a plus plus in my books :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

pbpatti August 26th, 2009 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=breeze;819006]they are so easy to grow, so that is a plus plus in my books :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up[/QUOTE]
easy to grow, my kind of plant.

breeze August 26th, 2009 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=pbpatti;819007]easy to grow, my kind of plant.[/QUOTE]

I know they do good in shade or sun, and if we forget to water well they don't die :laughing:
they are very hardy I don't think I could kill them even if I tried :laughing::laughing:

mollywog August 26th, 2009 11:27 AM

[B]pbpatti[/B], I live wayyy up north in Northwestern Ontario, and Hostas do just fine here. I don't know specifically about the white hostas but I am sure they would all be similar in terms of hardiness. Go to your local greenhouse and ask them.

pbpatti August 26th, 2009 11:44 AM

I think I will do that mollywag, I live in zone 3 or 4 not sure think it's 3. All of the Hostas that I have seen here this summer make me want some too. They are so pretty. I have also heard that they are pretty hardy plants.

Winston August 26th, 2009 12:01 PM

pbpatti let me know if you would like me to send you some. they can pretty easily be sent in the mail.

I cut up my hostas a couple of yrs ago and I had 300 chuncks! no shortage here thats for sure. if you like that one specifically youll have to wait till it dies off a bit for me to get a piece for you. :thumbs up

dont know if you saw the thread or not but ceraqc is gonna arrange a little seed/ plant exchange in the fall so you may want to get in on that! I have lots of seeds as well...columbine, lupins, mornig glorys, poppies, sweet peas and a few others. :thumbs up

cindy

breeze August 26th, 2009 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=pbpatti;819012]I think I will do that mollywag, I live in zone 3 or 4 not sure think it's 3. All of the Hostas that I have seen here this summer make me want some too. They are so pretty. I have also heard that they are pretty hardy plants.[/QUOTE]

patti I think we are in zone 4 or 5 I looked it up once but my memory is not as it use to be [SIZE="1"]they say it comes with age[/SIZE]:laughing::laughing: and I did not write it down, [SIZE="1"]guess it was not on my priority list
[/SIZE]

but if your garden center sell them it should thrive :shrug:

mollywog August 26th, 2009 12:12 PM

Winston how do you propegate your Hostas, just cut off a piece then re-plant it, roots and all???
I would love a lime greenish coloured Hosta... if you happen to have any of those! One of the only things I have to trade so far would be Tiger Lily bulbils. Let me know! :thumbs up

breeze August 26th, 2009 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=mollywog;819020]Winston how do you propegate your Hostas, just cut off a piece then re-plant it, roots and all???
[/QUOTE]

that's the way I was told to do it.

or as chris would say

get a good spade put your shovel in and cut right down.:D root and all

hazelrunpack August 26th, 2009 12:26 PM

They're beautiful breeze! I've never seen white ones before, either.

breeze August 26th, 2009 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;819023]They're beautiful breeze! I've never seen white ones before, either.[/QUOTE]

thanks Hazel, I was so surprised when they bloomed and they were white :goodvibes::goodvibes:

Melei'sMom August 26th, 2009 01:56 PM

[QUOTE=pbpatti;819002]Would these grow in Edmonton?[/QUOTE]

I would venture to say yes. I have seen those in my old neighbourhood in Spruce Grove and they are beautiful! If they are in Spruce, they can grow in Edmonton I would think eh :D

MyBirdIsEvil August 26th, 2009 03:44 PM

I have both the purple and white ones. They came with my house (well I guess I shouldn't say came, I paid 59,000 for the house so I guess I paid :laughing:)

They are very hardy but I know for a fact the leaves turn brown when it hits 107 degrees and you don't water them enough :o.
They still bloomed though, even with the leaves dying. Now they're starting to look better again since it's been cooler.

I love hostas, they come back every year and will spread and fill in really thick. I have some planted in the middle of my backyard with a bird bath on the ground and that spot attracts toads and stuff.

chico2 August 30th, 2009 04:33 PM

My HUGE blueish-green Hosta also had white flowers,but yours ate stunning Breeze:thumbs up

Tundra_Queen August 31st, 2009 02:09 AM

breeze, do the flowers smell? I have hostas with white flowers and they are fragrant.

The 3rd year is usually when hostas take off and multiply.

I live in zone 2a and hostas love it here, the fragrant ones like warmer summers and a bit more sun. Also fragrant hostas need more water to produce more fragrant blooms. *S*

Debbie