Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Pointer Breed.. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2969)

wAggie January 31st, 2004 07:03 PM

The Pointer Breed..

1 Attachment(s)
..can be EXTREMELY pushy when communicating it's interests to a particular event.

ie., open access btw house & backyard... sitting on lap @ computer, pets... pets... and LOTS of petting!

hahhaha

ok, moving on, my Q is... what Pointer Mix is my Chocolate exactly?

when I adopted him from the Scarborough shelter, the sign only read "Pointer Mix" lol. he was born in the North York shelter & came w 2 siblings (that I did not get to see - he was the last one when I arrived).

I learned to believe he is an English Shorthaired, German Wirehaired, & German Shorthaired...

others have mentioned he may be mixed with a Wolfhound or even a Fox Terrier...??

Your inputs are greatly appreciated!

wAggie January 31st, 2004 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and this one, with his sister, the English Pointer...

he's well over a head taller

Lucky Rescue January 31st, 2004 07:59 PM

How big is that guy? To me he looks like a German wire-haired pointer, but of course it's impossible to say for sure.

He looks big enough to be one, and they may be liver and white in colour.

Luba January 31st, 2004 10:20 PM

Yes GWHP :D
I always offer my two cents on two dogs
LMAOO

HI CHOOOOCOOOOOOO :D and HONEYYYYYYYYYYYYY :D

wAGGIES hugs

Carina January 31st, 2004 11:34 PM

Hey I thought the same thing too!
But I didn't contribute earlier because I'm not that familiar with all the field dog types...there's so many of them!
He's awfully cute, whatever he is. :)

wAggie February 1st, 2004 03:09 AM

thanks a bunch ladies!

... if there's more responses, let them keep coming in, lol

glad u all got a little giggle... hehe

for the record.... it's GWHP + Pointer?

or GWHP alone? :o :confused: ;) :D

Carina February 1st, 2004 07:02 AM

Don't GWHPs have a heavier wire coat all over, instead of just the face?

wAggie February 1st, 2004 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I trim him irregularily... on different parts of his body... LOL

but this is about as bushy as it gets...

:p

amaruq February 2nd, 2004 09:28 AM

I think he's the German wire hair too. I seen a fellow this weekend and he said he's is really bushy but have seen other's with less fur?
By the way what sweethears they both are :D

mona_b February 2nd, 2004 10:25 AM

I agree with the others...Most definately GWHP:D mixed with Pointer.

Luba February 2nd, 2004 05:32 PM

But a GWHP IS a pointer u silly heads lol

wAggie February 2nd, 2004 06:25 PM

:p @ Luba!

lol

when I say pointer, I understand that to mean ENGLISH pointer... u make it sound like I'm saying "pointer" equals "dog"

hahahahaha

thanx amaruq & mona! *waves*

deerclan February 2nd, 2004 06:31 PM

Tracker says GWHP & GSHP and yes lots of petting ,love petting and sitting at the computer,Oh yes very pushy when wanting something LOL

wAggie February 2nd, 2004 06:45 PM

and if u don't verbally respond, they'll respond for you with the answer THEY want... ahahahha

Tracker is a pure GSHP?

I see a great resemblance there... including HEIGHT! :D

deerclan February 2nd, 2004 07:26 PM

lol.... if you dont give them that answer right away they usually plop that head right in your lap until you do or bump your arm until you respond...even get in your lap while you try type a message like tonight...LOL

Tracker is a purbreed!

Luba February 2nd, 2004 07:58 PM

lol @wAggies

nooooo I was kidding with u
I know u meant pointer as in English pointer but there are many kinds I was merely pulling your legs ;)

wAggie February 2nd, 2004 07:59 PM

*in a fit of giggles*

u guys are too much!!!!!!!!!

:p :p :D :p :D :D :D :)

lovepointers April 12th, 2007 08:39 PM

Hello I am new here......

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I have 2 English Pointers. Oliver is 7 years old and Bridgette is 6 months. I love this breed. I am looking for someone to share their pics/stories/advice (Bridgette is having trouble getting housebroken) and someone to just chat about pointers! Thanks!![/COLOR][/FONT]

jawert1 April 12th, 2007 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hey there, you may want to post in the Welcome thread, this one is well over 3 years old :) I too have an English Pointer, and goodness yes, I don't know of anyone who has one that *doesn't* love to talk about them :cloud9:

My Simon:

[ATTACH]24409[/ATTACH]

deerclan April 13th, 2007 10:15 AM

well isn't this a blast from the past,Pointers are great be glad to share what ever info i have on them with you,Just make sure they have secure area with high fencing,I have personaly seen pointers mostly GSHP clear a 6 foot fence easily. good luck! :D

i_have_too_many April 13th, 2007 12:08 PM

Here is what I think

Certainly a cross btwn GHP and GWP is a good guess, the wiskers on the face point (pun intended) towards a wirehaired breed such as the GWP or even a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (not as common though) which look very similar. The markings tell me there is GSP in there too since they can be more white like yours is. The GWP's and Griffon's are more of a roan, looking almost grey sometimes. It would help to get an idea of the size and what he looks like with a full coat. But those would be my guesses.

FYI, so that you know where this is coming from, my hubby and I breed GSPs and Vizslas. I show both breeds and my hubby does field testing, so we get go see these breeds in many forms and stages of life.

I just re-read your second entry, the English pointer you have, is she young? if your boy is bigger then her that could be the other half of his mix and not a GSP like I first thought, they are also very white.

Prin April 13th, 2007 01:43 PM

I have too many, if you're replying to the OP, I'm not sure wAggie's coming back.. This thread is so old.... lovepointers revived it... ;)

lovepointers April 22nd, 2007 02:02 AM

pics

Glad I revived the thread...lol
I will post some pics later...I need to resize them.

cammilla April 28th, 2007 08:05 PM

and then there were two....

I hope I'm not overstepping, but I saw the post from lovespointers. looks like we have something in common, as i also have an english pointer named oliver. he just celebrated his first birthday yesterday. he's liver/white and full of himself. If lovespointers finds this post, yea, i'd love to have someone who also has pointers to help me get through this next year. he's quite a handful! don't mistake this as regret...i'm extremely happy to have him in our lives, but gosh, it's such a challenge! I'll post pictures just as soon as i find out how to post them! i've never been on a forum before, so i hope i don't step on any toes (had mine stepped on a lot by oliver). I hope to hear from all of you. thanks! cammilla