Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Need help with food! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71013)

Kalou June 21st, 2010 08:15 AM

Need help with food!

I am changing over my cats from Medical - Preventative (which I used to buy from the vet) to Orijen.

One of my cats eats the new food with no problem but the other one refuses to eat it. Orijen has 2 different flavours (we have already tried the fish one and he woudn't eat it) and now we are trying to chicken. He ate it up the first day but now he refuses to touch it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

14+kitties June 21st, 2010 08:24 AM

The very best suggestion I and our cat gurus can give you is to read this site - [url]www.catinfo.org[/url]
You will be amazed at the information on the site and will be switching your kitties to a [I]grain free wet [/I]food quickly after reading. :thumbs up

Kalou June 21st, 2010 08:59 AM

Hi

Thanks for the advice. At this time I can't really afford wet food, but I have heard really good things about Orijen which is why I wanted to switch my guys to the new food.

Love4himies June 21st, 2010 09:23 AM

Then how about half and half??? You will probably find that a quality canned is much cheaper than the vet food and will more than like prevent a lot of health issues in the future. :thumbs up

Home made raw is another option, it is much better and much cheaper.

laceyf53 June 27th, 2010 03:17 PM

Orijen is a great food, I totally agree with you for wanting to feed it. You should have more success with the chicken formula than the fish, in general I have found cats do not like heavy fish based diets and prefer chicken or rabbit. I would try a little bit of chicken stock in the food, or a touch of some other sort of broth. Wet food is great and all, but not all wet food (including grain free wet food) is created equal. The fat to protein ratios are not usually correct, and they usually do not contain all the minerals or even taurine that cats need to survive. In fact, the only two brands of wet food I know of that sell a completely balanced wet food are Innova (specifically called Flex) and Wellness. I am sure there are more out there, but I haven't heard about them. Orijen's protein sources all come from quality meats, and it is low carbohydrate which is very important! Plus, they process and handle all of their own food, and Champion Pet Foods (creator of Orijen) uphold the highest standards in the pet industry and process their foods only in their plant in Alberta, Canada. Most animal canned food comes from the same canneries (the only pet food company that I know of that plans to purchase their own canning facility is Natura). After hearing some horror stories about what goes in and out of those canning facilities, I will stick to a mixture of raw diet and Super Premium dry food for my cats.

Kalou June 27th, 2010 03:50 PM

thanks for the info lacey!