Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What's in a name??? (dogs) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71476)

placid July 14th, 2010 12:56 PM

What's in a name??? (dogs)

Hi all. I'm finding it very difficult to name our newest addition to the family. Let's just say that she has now been with us a week and is still remains nameless!

Let me know what your dog's name is, if there is a "meaning" to the name, and any suggestions you may have for me.

She is a black and tan GSD and a fairly big pup with a plush-to-long coat. Definitely not a shrinking violet! We currently have a "Kiera". I'm not all that into naming pets "human" names - eg. Sandy, Sally, Bob, etc.

Here are some names that we've looked at as a family.

Juno
Piper
Jynx
Skye
Kali (Hindu Mother Goddess)
Kenya
Sklya
Kyah (Kaia, Kaiya) Hawaiian for "sea"
Keona (Hawaiia for "God's Gift")
Nova
Willow

Thanks in advance for any input!

14+kitties July 14th, 2010 01:30 PM

Not to confuse you but............. :D Here's a site for GSD names.

[url]http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/puppynames.html[/url]

Floppy Dog July 14th, 2010 07:14 PM

I had a female GSD with the same colouring when I was very young (4 years old). I named her Valli (soft "a", hard "i", accent on the first sylable) for no reason that I can remember 40 years later! LOL

joeysmama July 14th, 2010 07:27 PM

When we got Joey the rescue was calling him Franklin because they found him on the FDR drive in NY. The only thing we agreed on for the first couple days was that Franklin didn't seem like the right fit. We tried a bunch of different names and then my daughter said "Joey!" and we all siad "YES !" that suits him just right. In that case Joey was absolutely his name it was just a matter of us guessing it. :laughing:

It took us two weeks to decide on a name for Cooper and by that time he was answering to "the puppy". I was reading this forum and someone ws talking about their dog Copper. I read it wrong. I read to fast. I saw Cooper and loved it. I went to my cousins that afternoon and mentioned all the names we were thinking of (Both my kids were away at college and we didn't tell them we got him..we wanted them to be surprised at Thanksgiving.) and my cousins kids all said "AWWWW" when I got to Cooper so we decided that was a good fit and that's how he got that.

Raven was easy. She came with the name, she was 3 and a half when we got her and so we didn't make any changes. She's solid black so the name suits her.

We used to call Joey "the Joe" from time to time. I miss him.:(

Cooper and Raven both have a lot of play in their names. Cooper is "the coop" or Coop de ville" or Coop doggy dog" Sometimes he's Cooper Pooper or Super Cooper

Raven is 'the rave" or a "ravenette" (Like raisinette cuz she's tiny) or "a raven in the sun" like the play "raisin in the sun" when she sits at the back door on a sunny day and when she curls up into a tiny ball on my big white quilt she looks like a little dirty spot on the blanket so we call her Smudge because she just looks like a smudge of dirt.

Am I talking too much??? LOL !! I love to talk about my pups. They're real characters sometimes!

ScottieDog July 14th, 2010 08:52 PM

My dog's name is Cassidy. She is named for a line in a Grateful Dead song. Her breeder's husband is a musician. She came to me as an adult and there is no way I would have changed her name.

[url]http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/grateful+dead/cassidy_20062422.html[/url]

CsqU4r3d July 14th, 2010 09:06 PM

My dogs name was Chummley when he arrived to live with us...On vacation in Victoria B.C. when we introduced him to an english woman, she asked if we spelled it the english way. Well when we got home I did a little research and found one english spelling (even has a castle of the same name in england) and he became Master Cholmondeley Esquire!!! Fitting for an English Springer Spaniel I thought.

ownedbycats July 15th, 2010 09:23 AM

Our girl is Sunshine, for her color and her personality.

BenMax July 15th, 2010 10:09 AM

Personally I love Willow for a GSD. Soft name yet carries weight.

joeysmama July 15th, 2010 10:46 AM

[QUOTE]Master Cholmondeley Esquire[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh[COLOR="red"][COLOR="red"]...[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]LOVE IT !!! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

placid July 15th, 2010 01:57 PM

Re:

Thanks all! Please keep them coming!

serenamlambe July 15th, 2010 02:27 PM

When we named our two little pups, we compiled a list, similar to what you have done. Just names that we liked and thought might be appropriate for a dog. After that, we picked about 5 or 6 of our favorites and looked into the meanings. We didn't choose until we had met the puppy and had a bit of an idea about their personality and what may suit them.

Our older dog's name is Connor. I originally liked the name because it's Irish and also because it's the name of a fish! Hahah. I'm from Newfoundland and love the sea. When Connor was little, he was so floppy, I thought he was a bit like a fish too. The meaning of the name is "Dog Lover or Wolf Lover," ironically enough. I thought that made it even more appropriate :)

I found it more difficult in coming up with a name for our newer addition, for some reason. We had orignally picked out the name "Lucy," but it really didn't suit her in the end. We decided to look up some more Irish names, just for the sake of consistency :p Hahah. Keely means "beautiful" and that suits her pretty well! She's a cutie :)

Frenchy July 15th, 2010 02:35 PM

I only had to name my first 4 cats , Missy and Dweezil (RIP) and , one that I called Monsieur le chat while I was trying to find a real name and ... Monsieur le chat it was :laughing: and the other one is Paddington.

all my other pets are rescues that came with their own names , chosen by spca or rescue.

Oh , Bailey my first dog , I also named myself. Other than them :

Daisy
Sam
Nelly
Chloe
Sienna
Jack
Churchill
Coco

BenMax July 15th, 2010 02:42 PM

Names for my pets that are alive:

Maddox (GSD)
Julia (Min Pin)
Blu (Lilac Point siamese)
Dooby (Oriental Red)
Phoenix (tortie girl)
Farrah (black persian)
Riza (Silver Shaded persian)
Riley (tuxedo cat)

My daughter's cat: Suki (blue point siamese)

Frenchy July 15th, 2010 02:45 PM

oh oh , I have a good one : Moon Unit !! :lovestruck:

BenMax July 15th, 2010 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;937273]oh oh , I have a good one : Moon Unit !! :lovestruck:[/QUOTE]

Geez Frenchy - again THAT name???? Ok - I have an idea...adopt another cat and called it Moon Unit once and for all. :rolleyes:

Frenchy July 15th, 2010 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;937286]Geez Frenchy - again THAT name???? [/QUOTE]

Just keeping my promise , to keep bugging you guys with that name , until someone finally agrees to name their pet Moon Unit :D

no more adoption allowed in my home for now :o

chico2 July 15th, 2010 03:35 PM

I had a GSD/Chow mix when we lived in Sweden,his name was Julius Ceasar,shortend to Julle..
A female collie mix here in Canada,we called Mishka,because of a wonderful dog I knew in Sweden,Mishka was also a great dog.
I love the name Cleo,from Cleopatra or Chloe.
How about Gretchen,she is a GSD after all:dog: