Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   poor kasha (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3408)

kasher+tazz March 8th, 2004 11:16 AM

poor kasha

My poor little kasha is very poorly at the moment after eating the insides of a tennis ball on friday. She has been at the emergency vets all weekend and they say it should pass with no intervention but it hasnt yet. I am so mad at the people who sold me the toy. I got it from the pet shop along with a furry animal case for it. I gave it to her in the evening before i went to bed and she was playing with it for a while. When i came down in the morning it was cracked open and the insides seemed to be very hard (like a really old tennis ball) some of it was missnig. Surely a dog toy should not be this easily destructible??!! Hopefully kash will be fine with no operation but she is still poorly now. I have made an appointment for this evening just to make sure everything is ok, she is drinking water now and was eating a little rice and chicken last night but im just so woried about her, she looks so weak!!:( :mad:
I will be watching her very closely from now on and she will certainly not have a tennis ball again.

amaruq March 8th, 2004 12:15 PM

OMG I'm so sorry and hope for a speedy recovery.

I find those balls in the pet store garbage. I buy real tennis balls like the Wilson brand and they last without cracking. But I'm sure your afraid of that now.

Give Kasha big doggy hugs from me!

Lucky Rescue March 8th, 2004 12:22 PM

Oh, poor Kasha! Hope she'll be just fine!

I find that lots of manufacturers of pet products don't really give a damn about animals.

If they did, they would not produce small round cages for parrot type birds, those deathtrap hamster cages with plastic tunnels, or dog crates that kill puppies.:mad:

Luba March 8th, 2004 12:31 PM

Oh dear I'm so sorry to hear that

Yes those balls are terrible I know just what you mean

Some dogs can rip right through them in no time

Kong balls and hard rubber hockey balls seem to last a bit longer

Please keep us posted

((hugs))

spotsonpele March 8th, 2004 01:49 PM

I've read a few negative things about tennis balls and dogs but I'm having troubles digging up info on it now....but I do have one link [url]http://tennis.about.com/library/blfaq13.htm.[/url] It's sort and to the point. But I've also read that the rubber material itself can be harmful too. I'll keep looking and hopefully post another link.

spotsonpele March 8th, 2004 01:51 PM

Sorry, it didn't seem to work....
Tennis Ball FAQ

Q. Are tennis balls safe for dogs?
A. The dye in regular tennis balls is reported to increase the risk of cancer in dogs who ingest small amounts of the dye that dissolve in saliva as the dog holds the ball. Special tennis balls made for dogs use a safe dye.

Back to Ball FAQ Index

That's what I wanted to post. (short and to the point) sorry.

kasher+tazz March 9th, 2004 05:37 AM

kash is much better today, she has had 4 little meals of chicken and rice since i last posted, she is eating slowly but looking much happier. I think tazz and her are enjoying fresh food, im thinking od giving them it more often!

We even managed to go for a little walk last night - although kasha was trying to pick up bits of rubbish to chew! You would have thought she had learnt her lesson, i will have to keep a very close eye on her wherever we are from now on!!

Karin March 9th, 2004 07:17 AM

Try giving Kasher a little canned pumpkin for three to four days. Animals love it and pumpkin is a natural laxitive.
Not all that is ingested shows up on an an xray.
Oscar, a 10 year old Bull dog mix ate the top of a Kong toy off a year prior to his death, the top became lodged in his lower intestinal tract. The owners remembered when the found the remains of the Kong toy and only with a necropsey did we find the cause to his cronic problems. Of course Oscar was the type of dog that could chew through a steel garage door too.