Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Black Hairs behind ears? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3525)

Lew & Lynda March 15th, 2004 11:37 PM

Black Hairs behind ears?

Hi, can you help us?

Our Pomeranian looking dog, but bigger and heavier, has some long black hairs growing behind his ears.

Is this a characteristic for a particular type of dog?

Also, how can we determine what mix our toy dog might be? He was a saved dog, so we do not know his history. He is about 3-4 years old. Very quiet except when someone comes to the door. Very polite and well mannered around everyone. Smart. Already knows simple commands.
He seems bigger (11 inches tall/10 pounds) than a Pom, but his ears are not shaped like a Papillon. He is entirely gold in color with whitish hair on his chest and around his legs. No color mask around his face. He has small square shaped ears and a fox like face. The ears are erect. The tail is like a pom.

Please offer any info or suggestions you may have.

Thanks.

Lew and Lynda
Sacramento, CA
[email]LewBG@aol.com[/email]

Carina March 16th, 2004 05:28 AM

Sometimes it can be impossible to tell how many different dogs are in the mix! You may never know for sure. I've had a couple of dogs like that...you could tell the predominant breed (GSD, collie. whatever) but could only guess at whatever else was there.

Can you post a photo? That would help.

Certainly many dogs can have black hairs behind the ears.

You have a GREAT CANADIAN/AMERICAN MUTT! :D And BTW he sounds really pretty; hopefully you can post a photo!

Luba March 17th, 2004 03:05 PM

Yes let us see a purdy picture :D

Carina March 18th, 2004 06:49 AM

And also remember that since many dogs are poorly bred, it's not unusual to see Poms etc that are larger - or smaller - than the breed standard allows for.
OK, now post a pic for us. :)

Spoiled March 21st, 2004 06:15 PM

Maybe the owner of the dog only wanted us to email him/her?:confused:

Lew & Lynda March 24th, 2004 03:21 AM

Pictures of Buddy

1 Attachment(s)
To all of our new friends,

Thank you for responding to our questions.

We believe we have a Pom/Papillon mix.

Still can't find any info on specific fine black hairs growing behind his ears.

I have posted 4 pictures in JPG format.

His coat is a sable/gold color, and he appears to have a white chest, which flows up around his face forming what may be a mask, but not sure. The jumping picture shows the contrast best.

He is 11 inches tall and 11 pounds in weight.

Please let us know what you think.

Lew and Lynda.

Lew & Lynda March 24th, 2004 03:23 AM

Another Pic

1 Attachment(s)
This is another pic.

Lew & Lynda March 24th, 2004 03:26 AM

third pic of Buddy

1 Attachment(s)
Third Pic

chico2 March 24th, 2004 04:27 PM

I am certainly no dog-expert,but it looks to me like she has a Chi-huahua face....she's really cute:)

Lew & Lynda March 25th, 2004 03:44 PM

Re: Black Hairs behind ears?

Hi Carina,

I posted pics.
What do you think?

We are having him fixed today.
Any suggestions on what we can do to help him thru the next few days?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to our email.

Lew and Lynda
Sacramento, CA
[email]LewBG@aol.com[/email] [/B][/QUOTE]

Luba March 25th, 2004 08:14 PM

AAAAAdorable picture

I definitely say Chi mix prob with a pom!!

Spoiled March 27th, 2004 01:59 PM

Awww, what a sweetie!

Just let the dog relax after he has his surgery. Its going to be painful for him. Let him lay in the sun as much as he want, and do as the vet says to care for him. Don't let him lick his stiches, and if anything seems not "normal" make sure to take him to the vet.

Don't worry, everything will be okay for him.:)

Carina March 27th, 2004 05:16 PM

Re: Re: Black Hairs behind ears?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lew & Lynda [/i]
[B]Hi Carina,

I posted pics.
What do you think?
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think you should package him up nicely and send him to me. He is TOO cute!!

I was thinking of him last Sunday...I went to a dog show & darned if there wasn't a whole bunch of Papillons showing, & a number of them (black & white & sable) did have long tufts of black hair standing up on their ears.

Definitely Pom...and the other could be Chi or Papillon or who knows maybe both!

Oh...his neutering will go fine, most male dogs barely notice after the first day or so. A very small % of dogs will lick & worry at the area so much they have to wear one of those funny looking collars. :( My Dutch had to, his was so big he couldn't go through doorways and got very grumpy. But most dogs barely notice.