Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Senior cats (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   SCM,took Chico to the vet.. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77293)

chico2 June 6th, 2011 11:33 AM

SCM,took Chico to the vet..

My vet had gone fishing(LOL)so it was a very nice female vet instead.
She thought Chico had beautiful teeth,not any sign of tartar,so,he is a Poster-Cat for canned food and she agreed,at 14 yrs old,he has never had his teeth cleaned.
She was 100% against feeding a cat kibbles:thumbs up
She looked at the earlier results of his bloodwork(done end of April)and noted his T4 was 38,so it's on the higher end of normal.
The browning of his fur,could possibly be from that,but she was not too concerned about it,his little white hairs everywhere were from old age.
So,I'll be checking his weight and have another bloodtest in a couple of months.

erykah1310 June 6th, 2011 12:16 PM

What more could be expected other than a super healthy kitty with a mum like you?
Glad to hear he is doing well

sugarcatmom June 6th, 2011 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;1012709] She thought Chico had beautiful teeth,not any sign of tartar,so,he is a Poster-Cat for canned food and she agreed,at 14 yrs old,he has never had his teeth cleaned.
She was 100% against feeding a cat kibbles:thumbs up[/quote]

Awesome!!! Glad to hear that Chico's got a sparkling smile. Sounds like a great vet, too.

[QUOTE=chico2;1012709] She looked at the earlier results of his bloodwork(done end of April)and noted his T4 was 38,so it's on the higher end of normal.[/quote]

Might be something to keep an eye on. Usually as cats age, their T4 level goes down. Having said that, Aztec also has slightly higher T4 levels than he should, but I had a Free T4 test done a year ago in conjunction with the regular T4 and it was perfectly normal. He has no hyperthyroid symptoms at all. So as they say, look at the WHOLE cat, not just the numbers.

[QUOTE=chico2;1012709] So,I'll be checking his weight and have another bloodtest in a couple of months.[/QUOTE]

:thumbs up

hazelrunpack June 6th, 2011 01:57 PM

Glad that Chico's test results were so good! :goodvibes:

And I think, given that you have a new camera, and Chico has such beautiful pearly whites, we need some more pics of his stunning smile, pls! :D

chico2 June 6th, 2011 02:27 PM

Thank's everyone:grouphug:
Hazel,Chico does not smile much,he just gives kisses,he is the suckiest,clingiest cat I have ever had:cat:

SCM,do you think Chico would benefit from the Free T4 test,rather than the regular T4??
The vet said it's more expensive,I did not ask how much more,if it's $500 I have to stick with the regular T4,at least for now..
He shows none of the symptoms Rocky had..but his was discovered late.
I could feel Chicos thyroid,it's about the size of a pea,Rockys was huge..

sugarcatmom June 6th, 2011 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;1012745]SCM,do you think Chico would benefit from the Free T4 test,rather than the regular T4??
The vet said it's more expensive,I did not ask how much more,if it's $500 I have to stick with the regular T4,at least for now..[/quote]

I can't remember exactly what I paid, and prices may vary depending on where you are, but I think it was just a bit over $100 (maybe $112 or $117?). I had it done in conjunction with the T4 because it helps to have both numbers as part of the evaluation. If I were to go back in time, I'm not sure I would have the test done because unless the hyperT is advanced enough to show symptoms, I don't think meds are prescribed (although I could be wrong - and there is the rare cat that has symptomless hyperT). I think the Free T4 is more valuable when a cat DOES have symptoms of something going on but the T4 comes back within normal range.

Does that help?

chico2 June 6th, 2011 03:59 PM

Yes,thank's SCM:grouphug:
Chico has lost some weight,he weighed about 16lb's in 2008,today he was about 14lb's.
Rocky(I still miss him:() lost weight rapidly,although he ate like a fiend and was constantly drinking,Chico does neither.
So what I'll do,I'll wait a bit and if the vet wants to do the Free T4 and the regular T4,I'll have it done.
When he had all the test when they were both sick,my regular vet saw no problem with his T4 number.