Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dog Afraid of Puppy (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=70489)

serenamlambe May 26th, 2010 11:39 AM

Dog Afraid of Puppy

So, we finally brought Keely home. And Connor's afraid of her.

I mean, we're not pushing them to be around each other. But occasionally he'll sneak towards her to get a sniff... if she moves, he bolts.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking I just have to give it time?

Marcha May 26th, 2010 12:19 PM

How long has the pup been in your home?
How are you introducing them to each other?
How is the pup responding to Connor?

serenamlambe May 26th, 2010 12:39 PM

She's only been home for about a day! I feel like I need to give it some time yet. He is curious, but only briefly comes to sniff her when she is sleeping or not moving.

As for formally introducing them, I haven't really done anything yet. Connor runs away whenever she comes within a foot of him... He's always been a bit fearful. We're working on it and he's doing better! We decided to add to our family for many reasons, but we thought it'd be great for him too. He did very well when we puppy-sat last summer for a friend!

The pup is interested in him, but hasn't been able to get close yet. Although, she gets a little nervous when he barks! I've been told that her Mom was really quiet, so I guess she's not used to the loud sound yet.

Also: If she cries, he lets out just one "woof." Hahah. I don't know if he knows what to think. She's young, still. Only 6 weeks (I know, a little early to be away from Momma!)... But she's eating well and already can sleep alone for a nice long while.

serenamlambe May 27th, 2010 06:40 AM

Update: This morning he lay down next to her and my boyfriend. However, when she moved over to touch him, he growled at her. What should I do in this situation?

H.P. June 3rd, 2010 02:14 PM

Puppy Fear

My Sydney :rip: was afraid of puppies, all puppies, until they were 5-6 months old. She would tuck her tail and hide behind me. they were the only thing she was afraid of. I decided that she must not like puppy breath, or that her litter mates were mean to her when she was a pup. As soon as the pups reached 5-6 months, she loved to play with them. Just give it some time.

serenamlambe June 3rd, 2010 02:55 PM

Aww, poor Sydney! Puppy breath is to be avoided, I agree :P

Connor seems to be doing better now, nonetheless! He avoids her for the most part, but they have been playing together a bit. Or, well, he does his playful bark at her, she tries to jump on him, and he dodges/runs away. Hahahah.

I've noticed that during our daily play dates with a few dogs from the neighbourhood, he tends to avoid the puppies. I guess they're just too unpredictable for him!