Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Tech talk (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   VISTA nightmares (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=61942)

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 10:28 AM

VISTA nightmares

My second Dell computer in four years bit the dust last week and I cleaned out my digital camera savings fund to buy a new computer. It has Vista on it. I'm distraught at what I've lost and need some suggestions about where to go from here. (Please keep in mind that going to hell is not an option...I appear to have already landed there :rolleyes:...so that suggestion isn't necessary :o Also, remember I'm broke now so I can't afford a lot of software. :sad:)

1. Windows mail is supposed to easily import Outlook Express files. Although I backed my email up religiously when I backed up my last computer, I can't get the contacts and the old email files to import--they just plain aren't recognized. No error messages--just no files imported. :shrug: Anyone know if there's anything I can do about that?

2. My Ipswitch WS-FTP program is not compatible with Vista. Does Vista have a file transfer protocol of some sort built in that would enable me to upload files to and maintain my website? :fingerscr If it has one, I haven't found it, yet...

3. Any idea why I can't download certain online games anymore, like [URL="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/04/opinion/main908623.shtml"]Sudoku[/URL] or the [URL="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/10/opinion/main543377.shtml"]Daily Crossword[/URL]? Haven't been able to download them even though I downloaded the newest versions of both Flash and Java :shrug: I can't tell if the problem is with the site or with my new software. :sad:

4. I won't even go into how I feel about Vista's photo editors, but if anyone has any suggestions as to how to change where images are imported to (My Pictures in a file stupidly named... :frustrated:) I'd appreciate it! Seems like Vista tries to do everything for you but I'd rather set it up to do it my way... [size=1] Yeah, I'm a fussy old bat. :o [/size]

Any suggestions for ease of transition or even for good reading material on Vista would be appreciated. I'd like to be fully functional again by 2010 but I'm not holding out much hope. :cry:

ancientgirl April 5th, 2009 12:49 PM

Hazel, I feel for you. My laptop came with Vista, and I have to admit it is a huge pain in the butt, but I've sort of grown used to it.

One of Vista's main pains is downloading stuff. It's constantly asking for permission to do so. Did it alert you something was trying to download?

My computer knowledge only goes so far. Doesn't Aslan work with computers? Maybe she can help.:shrug:

cell April 5th, 2009 01:14 PM

Download XP burn it to a disk and reformat and use that until Windows 7(?) comes out. My BF had vista on his new laptop and only kept it for around a month.

Dee-O-Gee April 5th, 2009 01:36 PM

Hey Hazel--

Poor girl :sad:

Point #2 - I got my FTP from Tuscow (link below) even though I work off of XP, Tuscow does have some freeware that's Vista compatible.

[url]http://www.tucows.com/search.html?search_scope=win&search_adv=0&search_size=&search_size_multi=b&search_terms=FTP&srch_pf=win&search_lib=[/url]

I have a website but it's for a 1974 antique British TR6 car hubby and I are restoring. :crazy:

Bina April 5th, 2009 01:52 PM

I'm going to put in another vote for downloading XP and re-formatting.
My current Dell was bought last year through my husband's office, they are still able to order "used" models with XP.
Good Luck!

rainbow April 5th, 2009 02:21 PM

Hazel, as you well know I am "the" computer dummy here but I just wanted to give you some :grouphug: :grouphug: and a whole lot of :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 02:51 PM

I'm back to crying again. Vista is worthless....especially if you have dial-up. I can't burn XP out to a disk at 24.4 Kbps dialup speed. It just took me 5 stinking hours trying to download 25 M of software that didn't turn out to be what I thought it was :cry:

This absolutely totally sucks. Vista has sent me back to ground zero--no newsletters, no website.... Lucky for you, due to the anonymity of cyberspace, you just missed a total meltdown. Much better to have saved the money and put it toward a functional digital camera system with some bells and whistles than to have bought this piece of crap and end up with a totally dysfunctional computer system. It's good for bulletin boards and putting pictures where I don't want them on the computer.

Congratulations Microsoft on another wonderful contribution to the world of home computers. :frustrated:

ancientgirl April 5th, 2009 03:04 PM

Hazel, I'm sorry you are having so many problems. I wish I knew more about programs to help you.

Dee-O-Gee April 5th, 2009 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;765373]I'm back to crying again. Vista is worthless....especially if you have dial-up. I can't burn XP out to a disk at 24.4 Kbps dialup speed. It just took me 5 stinking hours trying to download 25 M of software that didn't turn out to be what I thought it was :cry:

This absolutely totally sucks. Vista has sent me back to ground zero--no newsletters, no website.... Lucky for you, due to the anonymity of cyberspace, you just missed a total meltdown. Much better to have saved the money and put it toward a functional digital camera system with some bells and whistles than to have bought this piece of crap and end up with a totally dysfunctional computer system. It's good for bulletin boards and putting pictures where I don't want them on the computer.

Congratulations Microsoft on another wonderful contribution to the world of home computers. :frustrated:[/QUOTE]

As this is a brand new computer--was there any guarantees where you can take it back and buy a refurbished XP O/S?

I too am sorry that I'm not familiar with Vista and would love to help you avoid unecessary meltdowns [ATTACH]50354[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;765354]
Point #2 - I got my FTP from Tuscow (link below) even though I work off of XP, Tuscow does have some freeware that's Vista compatible.

[url]http://www.tucows.com/search.html?search_scope=win&search_adv=0&search_size=&search_size_multi=b&search_terms=FTP&srch_pf=win&search_lib=[/url]

[/QUOTE]

:thankyou: for that link, klmccallum. I've bookmarked it to look at later.

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;765381]As this is a brand new computer--was there any guarantees where you can take it back and buy a refurbished XP O/S?
[/QUOTE]

Best Buy doesn't carry anything with XP on it anymore. It's all this Vista crap :sad: And my other option was the place where they're trying to double-bill me. :shrug: Don't want to deal with them...

chico2 April 5th, 2009 03:31 PM

Aww Hazel how frustrating,when we got our new PC,we specifically asked for Windows XP to be installed.
Our computer-genius(friend of my sons)himself likes Vista,but he is a computer-expert.Good Luck:fingerscr

onster April 5th, 2009 03:51 PM

awwww hazel im so sorry ure going thru this frustration.

I thought a new pc would be the end of ure troubles :sad: (btw Dell reaaaally sucks IMO my friend's Dells are forever breaking down :frustrated:).

Maybe someone can send you a cd with XP burned on it? I would, I have loads of empty CDs but dunno where I could download a good copy :shrug: Wouldnt want to make it worse!!

This is pretty much why Im switching to a mac when my laptop finally dies. :grouphug:

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 04:43 PM

Anyone know if you can still even purchase the Windows XP Pro OS?

ancientgirl April 5th, 2009 04:48 PM

Hazel, when I got my laptop, I considered changing Vista to XP. I called Best Buy, and Geek Squad said they were able to do that. I decided against it because it was too expensive. I think they may still do that. I know my boss just purchased a computer and had to especially order it to come with XP.

Give Geek Squad a call.

[url]http://www.geeksquad.com/[/url]

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 04:53 PM

I'll call them tomorrow. The one guy there has been very helpful and is very knowledgeable. :fingerscr that they can do it...

Do you recall how much it was going to cost, AG? :eek:

ancientgirl April 5th, 2009 05:28 PM

Hazel, it was less than $300, but close to it.

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 05:31 PM

Ouch. That's about $300 more than I have budgeted right now :o

ancientgirl April 5th, 2009 05:35 PM

Yeah, that's why I still have Vista on my laptop. I've just learned to live with it.

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 05:39 PM

I may have to learn to limp along with it, too. :sad: But I'm not gonna be a happy camper! :frustrated:

Have you found any good 'I hate Vista' forums? :laughing: I'd love to join... :o

ancientgirl April 5th, 2009 05:50 PM

LOL, no I haven't found any forums.

It's hard to get used to, but eventually you will at least be able to use it without too much trouble. If you can get someone to set it up the way you want it, to allow you to do what you need, then you should be okay after that.

I still wish I had XP, but since I don't have that money to spend to change it back I have no choice. If the next Windows OS is like XP was, I may try to scrounge up the money to change it. But I'll wait until the iron out the kinks first.

The thing is, I was told after the summer Microsoft will no longer offer support for XP.

badger April 5th, 2009 07:00 PM

I don't have any suggestions for you about getting your email back. I've had to reload everything twice in recent months and lost the entire contents of OE in the process. You might try loading Gmail, which is way better, has more memory and stores your stuff on their servers so nothing is lost. You have to be invited, however; let me know if you'd like me to put in a word, all I need is your addy. I still use Outlook Express, in tandem with Gmail, because I cant be bothered to notify the bank, etc.

My techie downloaded Firefox for me the last time we had to reload Windows (XP) and I highly recommend it. Don't mess with the Vista, just download Firefox and use it instead, at least until you've gotten Vista sorted out. On my system, Firefox is faster and has fewer glitches (freezes, etc.).

Winston April 5th, 2009 07:26 PM

Its tough to find in some locations but I wouldnt pay more than 100.00 for it! if that! the thing too is you have to make sure its a legit copy because you wont be able to update anything from microsoft and unfortunately we need some of their patches...The other thing too is it would mean rebuilding your system? they will charge you if you dont know how to do it.

Hazel its really frustrating...I am standing firm! No Vista until I absolutely have too!

Alot of the origional cd's that you get with pcs have the extra software so it might be worth it to check out what the cd says!

Mat&Murph April 5th, 2009 08:37 PM

I hope you are feeling alittle better Hazel. I have never used Vista. Been to paranoid. I get my computer stuff at a guy I know through a friend, Got a great rebuild laptop for 200 with Windows XP Pro. But It is here in Oshawa. Wish I could be more help :grouphug:
and Drooly kisses from the boys

14+kitties April 5th, 2009 08:59 PM

Hazel - have you checked your emails? :rolleyes:

want4rain April 5th, 2009 09:51 PM

HRP, lemme do some asking around. i know a few people proficient in Vista. might be able to come up with some answers....

if i dont get back to you in a few days... my breast pump ate me.

-ash

Dee-O-Gee April 5th, 2009 09:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm the first to admit--I hate change :yuck:

I'm sure that once you speak with people that have had experience using Vista and get a better insight on the operating system--you'll move right along :thumbs up

It's just a learning curve Hazel--think positive [ATTACH]50376[/ATTACH]

If you are who I think you are--you're gonna set yourself on a mission to conquer your Vista Fiasco [ATTACH]50373[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 09:57 PM

Yes, as a matter of fact, I just did :D

Very helpful, although I'm too tired to try all the suggestions tonight! Thank your son-in-law for me :grouphug:

[B]T&C[/B], I'm still waiting for that link to load. Sigh... :o

[B]badger,[/B] I'm stuck with IE until I give up on Publisher. I still snail mail out a few newsletters...and then put it out on the web, so I need something that will handle both phases. Unfortunately, Publisher web files are not browsable by Firefox. :sad:

However, this whole issue might end up moot if I can't get my software to work. :wall:

[B]Winston,[/B] the software is on a disk I have, but it tries to do something that works with XP, not Vista--tells me it needs to run something by 'run as...' and that an administrator has to do it. But my account is the administrator account and I can't figure out how to get around it. :o :fingerscr I can find out when I call HP tomorrow...

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. :grouphug: Just venting was actually quite helpful :laughing: At least I'm not threatening the machine with a sledge hammer any more and I've smiled at least twice since dinner :thumbs up

:p

:thankyou:

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=want4rain;765483]HRP, lemme do some asking around. i know a few people proficient in Vista. might be able to come up with some answers....

if i dont get back to you in a few days... my breast pump ate me.

-ash[/QUOTE]

:laughing: :laugh: Okay, so now I've out-and-out laughed tonight! This is an improvement! :thankyou: w4r, and give Alex a big kiss on the nose for me. :D

[QUOTE=klmccallum;765484]I'm the first to admit--I hate change :yuck:

I'm sure that once you speak with people that have had experience using Vista and get a better insight on the operating system--you'll move right along :thumbs up

It's just a learning curve Hazel--think positive [ATTACH]50376[/ATTACH]

If you are who I think you are--you're gonna set yourself on a mission to conquer your Vista Fiasco [ATTACH]50373[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Oy, you mean the panic was that apparent? :crazy: :D

I hate change, too...but when I changed to XP it wasn't nearly as traumatic as the change to Vista. :rolleyes: Still, I'm already making plans to get around the obstacles...and some of the dark despair and black clouds are rolling away. :eek:

It's not a learning curve, though--it was more like being in the lane when the semi sped through...a flattening experience. :laughing:

But you're right--in a month or two, I won't remember what all I've lost...so I'll feel better about it. See? Senility has it's up side! :thumbs up

:laughing:

Thanks for the pep talk. :o

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 10:05 PM

Oh, and M&M, you don't know how immeasurably helpful those drooly kisses were in the interim. :cloud9: Thank the boys for me, please! :D

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 10:14 PM

hmmmmm...this version of Adobe flash is not supported on 64-bit machines...IE just died cuz of it. I coulda sworn I updated that two nights ago...must've lost the connection at some point :frustrated:

Once I figure out how to get the appropriate version, that might clear up some of my IE problems! :thumbs up

want4rain April 5th, 2009 11:00 PM

well it didnt eat me and i have a response.... pardon the orneryness of it all. :D an answer is an answer after all!!! his responses are in red.

-ash

[QUOTE][COLOR="red"]Disclaimer: I don't have Vista. Everything I know about Vista I have discerned helping my poor brother untangle the mess he made on his - and maybe I learned a little at work too... I don't have an Apple either, but I honestly believe you probably should have bought one.

Moving along - Responses inline[/COLOR]

My second Dell computer in four years bit the dust last week and I cleaned out my digital camera savings fund to buy a new computer. It has Vista on it. I'm distraught at what I've lost and need some suggestions about where to go from here. (Please keep in mind that going to hell is not an option...I appear to have already landed there ...so that suggestion isn't necessary Also, remember I'm broke now so I can't afford a lot of software. )

1. Windows mail is supposed to easily import Outlook Express files. Although I backed my email up religiously when I backed up my last computer, I can't get the contacts and the old email files to import--they just plain aren't recognized. No error messages--just no files imported. Anyone know if there's anything I can do about that?
[COLOR="Red"]Aren't easily recognized? Pish... If only MS would settle on a format. If only Outlook and Outlook Express didn't both use the work Outlook in their title - the only thing they have in common. I assume you are using Windows Mail and not Outlook on the new computer. Need to know what files/folders you are attempting to import specifically and how you are doing it - Outlook Express keeps them in two or more different places - the address book is a different file entirely - look for *.wab and import separately. It has never EVER been intuitive but I have never failed to import e-mail and addresses from Windows 95 right on up to Vista. Its just in an attempt to make it easy, they manage to make it easy in a very tiny subset of situations - and nearly impossible in all others.[/COLOR]

2. My Ipswitch WS-FTP program is not compatible with Vista. Does Vista have a file transfer protocol of some sort built in that would enable me to upload files to and maintain my website? If it has one, I haven't found it, yet...
[COLOR="red"]WS-FTP is so 1999 :) Download Filezilla Client - Open Source Freeware [url]http://filezilla-project.org/[/url][/COLOR]

3. Any idea why I can't download certain online games anymore, like Sudoku or the Daily Crossword? Haven't been able to download them even though I downloaded the newest versions of both Flash and Java I can't tell if the problem is with the site or with my new software.
[COLOR="red"]Need specific URLs and what browser are you using - I recommend using Firefox and Internet Explorer before calling something a problem. Also, any specific error information would be helpful - Personally, I stay away from these downloadable game things - they pollute your computer with crap, but whatever... I'm paranoid. I anticipate that past computer problems were very likely related to these online games and toys. Vista in and of itself should not be keeping you from downloading whatever you like, but the increased security and firewall function may potentially be inhibiting the games' operation (and thus lengthing the usable life of your computer for other things...)[/COLOR]

4. I won't even go into how I feel about Vista's photo editors, but if anyone has any suggestions as to how to change where images are imported to (My Pictures in a file stupidly named... ) I'd appreciate it! Seems like Vista tries to do everything for you but I'd rather set it up to do it my way... Yeah, I'm a fussy old bat.
[COLOR="red"]Download Picasa (picasa.google.com) and disable all the auto import stuff in Vista. If you need help figuring out how to get Vista to Automatically import photos, let me know - I'll make finding out a personal goal.[/COLOR]

Any suggestions for ease of transition or even for good reading material on Vista would be appreciated. I'd like to be fully functional again by 2010 but I'm not holding out much hope.
[COLOR="red"]Most of what I read to solve these problems is found online, simply using google - sorting through the useless "information" and getting to the useful nuggets is tedious and perhaps a bit of an art form, but it is certainly do-able. I expect that your biggest stumbling block is that Microsoft built Vista under the guise that everyone does not like Windows - so they changed everything. Everything you learned about Windows before - forget it and start over. What you remember from your previous life is likely holding you back (thus my assertion that now is a fine time to get an Apple - pretty much the same learning curve)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Good luck![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 11:13 PM

Aw, thanks w4r. Not much help though, I'm afraid. I can't afford to buy an Apple! :laughing: I blew my budget recently on a computer purchase... :p

Actually, Vista and I are starting to get along a little better. I have a few more suggestions to try on the email problem. I've never had trouble taking Outlook Express files from one OS to another before, either...but it was inevitable! :D

I think I figured out the game thing--somehow, an early version of Adobe flash player is installed. It's not supported on 64-bit machines, so IE hangs or dies when I try to look at the daily Sudoku and Crossword on the CBSnews site. (Nope...I never read the news....just do the puzzles! :laughing:) So tonite when I'm logged off of pets.ca, I'll deinstall Flash and try to download Flash 11 again. I think that version of it is compatible with my machine! :fingerscr

I've bookmarked the filezilla site for further study... :D When I'm rested. Actually, I loved 1999, and WS-FTP is like second nature after all this time... :laughing: We old codgers like to keep our bad habits! :p

Oh, and I've been trying to google, yahoo, etc for 3 days now...so difficult at 24.4 Kbps... :o (yes, some of us old codgers are on dial-up, too...we live in a dead zone for things like cable, TV/radio signal and cell phones. If I had the money and less forest between us and the sky, satellite [I]might [/I]be an option. :o

growler~GateKeeper April 5th, 2009 11:17 PM

As you know I'm running Vista & I had no issues loading the Sudoku or the Crossword puzzle so it's not the site :shrug:

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;765485] the software is on a disk I have, but it tries to do something that works with XP, not Vista--tells me it needs to run something by 'run as...' and that an administrator has to do it. But my account is the administrator account and I can't figure out how to get around it. :o :fingerscr I can find out when I call HP tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

To get it to "run as administrator" [B]right[/B] click on the program then choose run as administrator ;)

hazelrunpack April 5th, 2009 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=growler;765511]As you know I'm running Vista & I had no issues loading the Sudoku or the Crossword puzzle so it's not the site :shrug:

[COLOR="Purple"][I]Yeah, I think it's the Flash version issue--those are the only two downloads I've attempted that require it--and both of them cause IE to hang or fail :shrug: I'm glad they're still out there :cloud9: I miss them terribly :o [/I][/COLOR]

To get it to "run as administrator" [B]right[/B] click on the program then choose run as administrator ;)[/QUOTE]

It runs automatically from a disk, though... :shrug: Not quite sure how to do that... :o

growler~GateKeeper April 5th, 2009 11:53 PM

Before you put the disc in the drive click the Start button, computer that shows the hd and the disc drive, put the disc in, double click on the disc drive & you should have an Auto run window pop up that asks what you want to do. There is a box you can un-check for automatic play. You should have the option of running the program or opening/exploring the files. Click on exploring the files - then right click the Application & click run as administrator.

Even if the programs runs auto, while it's attempting you can still hit the start button, computer, double click the disc drive to see the files then right click & run as admin

hazelrunpack April 6th, 2009 12:04 AM

Okay! I'll try that! :thumbs up

And I better go do it now...it's already after midnight and I still want to try to download the newest Flash version, too :o

:thankyou:

CearaQC April 6th, 2009 04:19 AM

You bought a 64 bit machine? That's some power! :thumbs up And that's why your Soduku disc won't play... because it's not geared for 64 bit. Perhaps something on the web will work but programs that run off discs (hard drive or CD/DVD) need to be programmed to deal with 64 bit.

In my opinion stay away from Internet Explorer. I always had so much trouble with that until I switched permanently to Firefox.

You can put your pictures anywhere you want on your machine. Go into whatever resembles a file explorer on Vista, like My Computer or whatever. Then click around until you get to the general area where you want the photo folder to go. From there, make a new folder. There should be little things on the left or right side of the screen in My Computer that will say "make new folder."

Then when you access your camera's stored pictures, you can highlight them all in the My Computer area, and tell the computer to "move" all files from the camera memory to the designated folder you specially made.

Any time you need to download new drivers and doo-dads like Flash, you're going to have to look for 64 bit versions. Including your digital camera software. Go to the manufacturer's website and look for 64 bit versions.

Put a stickie note on your screen saying don't forget about the 64 bit, 'cause anything that's still the "old" 32 bit may not work at all.

64 bit compared to 32 bit is like comparing a 20 lane highway to a 2 lane highway. :laughing: Well this is a bit of an extreme analogy but you get the general idea. There are more "lanes" of electron traffic in a 64 bit machine. So to compare 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine, is like to compare a hillbilly from Deliverance walking in downtown New York city and having to navigate the subways and roads simultaneously. The hillbilly can eventually figure out how to get around New York but needs special instructions and a good map. Or in this case, a software programmer to change the code to tell the program how to behave in a 64 bit environment. Otherwise the software just freaks out and can't do much so it freezes and won't work.

And don't ever pay for Geeksquad. They overcharge in my opinion. Charge hundreds of bucks for something simple that only takes a couple of hours. They overcharge because they know people out there don't know much about computers and they get away with it. Corporate highway robbery! :2cents: If I lived closer to you I'd do it for a homemade dinner, some laughs and play time with your doggies.

Publisher won't work with Firefox because Microshaft products don't work with Firefox as a whole. There might be a free open source website thingie available.

Any time you want a new software tool, look for free, open-sourced software. 99% of the time there is a free, stable and often better equivalent.

[url]http://www.designvitality.com/blog/2007/10/25-open-source-web-design-programs-and-tools-you-should-already-know-about/[/url]

Just something I Google'd there that has listings of open-source software.

The world is moving to more collaborative effort and moving away from high-price corporatism. Support them any chance you get. Open-source is a better idea because regular geeks who know programming and think of new ways that software can be better, can just program their own bit and then give it away free to everyone else. Then everyone benefits! Programmers can team up together and improve software. And every time a new person joins in the fun, the software becomes better and better. No more making complaints and hoping a giant corporation will make the changes, which often times don't work anyway because they released it too soon. A huge example of that is.... Vista! They released that too soon and it's got more holes than swiss cheese in it security-wise and lack of ease to the normal user.

64 bit is still pretty new and not many people have it. As a result not much software is coded to be able to work on 64 bit. But it's coming around, and much quicker for Linux (open source FREE operating system) than it is for Microshaft products.

[url]http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/[/url]

Read and try that out, see if it works for your Flash.

I still gotta do attachment pics so you can see my furkids. But it's 5 am and I only got up to let the dogs out to potty and check on the basement. We're in spring melting time now and there's a spring under the floor in the basement and every time it rains hard or melts snow, it begins to flood down there so we have to keep an eye out to make sure the pump works and things don't start swimming down there. :laughing:

For the rest of you folks reading this, you will be much happier if you switch to Linux and not buy into the whole Vista thing. Dell even sells new computers installed with Linux nowadays. I still use XP but only because I build my own computers and this computer is good enough for now. But the next time I need to upgrade, I'm going Linux. Linux is better prepared for 64 bit machines and more and more programs are coming out Linux based much faster than they do for Microshaft-based software.

aslan April 6th, 2009 09:32 AM

Hazel,,, try right clicking on your IE logo on your comp, a box thingy comes up (yeah i know technical term eh) any, go to the bottome of box thingy, click on properties..another box will open will, general,security, blah blah, one will say compatibility..... click that one...there is a little box that says " run this program in compatibility mode for"..... you want to set it for windows xp (service pack2). that should help with some of your problems..

aslan April 6th, 2009 09:44 AM

If you can get onto this site....[url]www.tech-recipes.disqus.com/vista_getting_adobe_flash_player_to_work_microsoft_vista_tech_recipes/[/url]

they have two or three different suggestions that apparantly work... there is apparantly two versions of IE on your comp, anyway check it out and see if any of this helps.