Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Holiday Grooming (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=82951)

Dee-O-Gee December 2nd, 2012 11:00 PM

Holiday Grooming

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for helpful grooming hints. :o

Times are a little tough this year and thought I'd spend an entire day on giving Gryphon & Mollie their grooming spa day treatment at home this year.

Googled about grooming English Springer Spaniels and English Setters and am amazed with the information that was out there. Already printed and highlighted key points but would like to reach out to pets.ca members to see anyone here has any other suggestions.

Preparing, tools, shampoos, conditioners, blow drying, towel drying, scissors, clippers...anything? :shrug:

Promise to post before/after pictures. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack December 3rd, 2012 11:48 AM

I used to give our springer Priscilla a puppy cut three times a year so she didn't look like a grizzly bear all the time. And the setters get trims in the fall--basically I just cut off all their feathers and woolly curls to keep them from bringing home all the blackberry cane and beggar's ticks they run into in the woods. :D Somehow I don't think you're looking for instructions for either of those scenarios! :laughing:

All I can advise is that if you use clippers on Gryphon, make sure the blades are sharp and don't get too hot! :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee December 3rd, 2012 11:30 PM

Thank you Hazel for your comments. I was going to use clippers but I have to buy some first. I want to get a clipper that has the different sized heads with measuring guards so I don't shave them bald! :eek:

From what I've researched, one helpful hint is to groom and brush their fur before bathing then, use a blow dryer after towel drying. That'll be interesting. :confused:

I can see it now...my bathroom will be converted into a pet spa for a day and if all goes well, it'll be worth it. :thumbs up

angeldogs December 4th, 2012 07:46 PM

My mom bought a good grooming shaver at canadian tire. looks like what we would use for humans but made for dogs fur.comes with the comb attachments also. cant remember what she paid she got it on sale.

Dee-O-Gee December 5th, 2012 09:38 PM

Thanks Angeldogs for the tip. I'll have to check out Canadian Tire as I do have a wack of Canadian Tire Money to redeem! :thumbs up

angeldogs December 6th, 2012 05:22 AM

Your welcome.they had the basic one right up the professional one.my moms is the basic one and its better built then the one i bought for humans for myself.

Dee-O-Gee December 19th, 2012 09:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well 6 hours later...I did it! :clap:

Didn't take a before picture of Mollie but here is her finished back side. I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

[ATTACH]78724[/ATTACH]

Here's a before picture of Gryphon. He was totally spooked about the blow dryer so much so, he jumped back into the tub of water! :wall:

[ATTACH]78725[/ATTACH]

Here's him after. Other than buggering up his ears and looking like a pansy, I was happy with the results. Although he didn't like the dryer, he was totally normal with the grooming and clippers. :thumbs up

[ATTACH]78726[/ATTACH]

angeldogs December 19th, 2012 10:34 PM

Good job :thumbs up they look great.did you get the clippers at canadian tire or petsmart?

Dee-O-Gee December 19th, 2012 11:35 PM

My employer lent me their Oster clipper but I went to Canadian Tire today and they had a Wahl kit on sale pretty cheap so, I bought that.

It was a good thing to have 2 sets because when one blade got too hot, I switched over to the other one with the same size guard. :thumbs up

I liked the Wahl one better. Maybe it was because it's newer but it seemed to do a finer job. :shrug:

hazelrunpack December 20th, 2012 10:50 AM

Probably the blades were sharper on the new one--that really makes a huge difference!

And the kiddos look beeeeyoooooteeeefullll!!!!!!!!! :flirt:

angeldogs December 20th, 2012 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=Dee-O-Gee;1050997]My employer lent me their Oster clipper but I went to Canadian Tire today and they had a Wahl kit on sale pretty cheap so, I bought that.

It was a good thing to have 2 sets because when one blade got too hot, I switched over to the other one with the same size guard. :thumbs up

I liked the Wahl one better. Maybe it was because it's newer but it seemed to do a finer job. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

I have a Wahl for myself that i bought a year ago from there.its not as good as the pet ones as it is not heavy duty but the best one i've had over the years.