Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Tribute to Trina (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22917)

CyberKitten January 12th, 2006 02:30 AM

Tribute to Trina

I do not know how old this sweet lovely "girl" was. Indeed, I became aware of her existence just a few short weeks ago when I discovered her sleeping or laying on a carpet in front of my back door which is enclosed in my carport. She was a beautiful totishell and as soon as I would open the door, she fled across the street - a quiet residential lane thankfully - hiding nehind a tree. I fed her and one of my neighbours - who owned the aforementioned tree, shared that august responsibility.

I created a bed for her in the carport and she especially liked a teddy who was heated from the inside (one of those microwave characters we have for babies and infants at the hospital). She was warm for awhile but winter is fast upon in these parts and she deserved oh so much more!!!

I debated whether she was feral. lost or "stray" - whatever stray means these days. So many groups and so many cats and alas, it takes so many good people to keep up with the evil ones who would throw away beings who deserve love, food ,warmth and a place to call home every bit as much as we humans. Some days, it seems there are more evil beings that the good ones like Lucky and BMD and SOSMiaow who do all that wonderful work. This is one of those unfortunate days.

I decided - after "consulting" the Board - though the Irish matriarch in me had somewhat opted to attempt a rescue anyway, especially when it was -23, without the wind chill! I have several own safe "traps", made by my beloved grandfather years ago and they work extremely well - though they do also catch other creatures besides kitties. I did not want to scare her but the look in her eyes was more than fear and they spoke of illness and pain and anyone who knows and talks to cats understands they must hide pain at all costs!!

She fell for my contrived attempt - she liked my YY's Wellness Chicken after all. I refuse to utilize the word "capture" because no cat can be captured, in much the same way no one can ever "own" a kitty. My fears were confirmed though while I had assumed Trina to be a he - thinking she was following my little feline neighbour who was in heat just prior to kitten season (this little one has since been spayed and is doing very well!) - I was wrong on that score and she was full of lumps and matts (she was a long haired tortie). She'd shown some tortitude too so when she did not resist too much at being in that covered contraption, I knew something was amiss. I took her immediately to my vet.

Later that day, my vet called with bad news. No wonder the poor dear girl ran away - as my gradmother might have said - she was terrified altogther!!! Some mean spirited human had kicked her and she has broken ribs and a digestive system that was severely impaired, not obstructed but she had uincurred serious injuries as a result of that beating for want of a word - any word is bad. She also was suffering from cancer that had progressed throughout her body and it was a wonder and a credit to her powers of survival that she was still alive!!

Later in the day - after managing to send home a child who had defeated leukemia so it was not altogether a horrible day - I went to the vet so I could hold Trina and talk with her and pet her and show her some love before she finally went to the Bridge. I hope my bunny, kitties and doggies already there will greet her and embrace her.

I cried openly as she crossed the Rainbow and vowed to work for stronger legislation to help others like her!! There are days I am not at all happy with the human race and this was one of them.

I am not always the most spiritual of persons but as the Sisters at the Convent of the Sacred Heart School wo taiught me might have said, "Go with the angels Trina.

If it should be, that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then, you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle, can't be won.
Don't let your grief stay your hand,

For this day more than the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.
We've had so few days,
What is to come can hold no fear.
You'd not want me to suffer, so
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me to the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you'll see it is a kindness you do for me
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Authour Unknown

chico2 January 12th, 2006 07:45 AM

CK,thank you for caring about this little life,for allowing her to pass peacefully:love:

Cricket March 14th, 2006 02:41 PM

Thank you for taking the time & having the compassion to make the last few hours of her life easier.