Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Ugh... whipworms AND hookworms (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78200)

Rgeurts August 9th, 2011 08:22 PM

Ugh... whipworms AND hookworms

I've never had to deal with anything but tapeworms and roundworms. From everything I have read, they both sound very hard to get rid of. Nookie has been consistently losing weight and his coat for a few weeks now. We have taken him in a few times and have just increased his food, increased his omegas etc, but nothing worked. He's down to 88 lbs from 110 (though he was a bit chubby at 110 :o), so today they decided to do a poo panel... and he has BOTH :frustrated: :(
The weird part is that the whipworm isn't found here. Dr. Marsden said it is most likely he got it from daycare. Does anyone have any success stories in getting rid of them?

Robyn

hazelrunpack August 9th, 2011 08:48 PM

Panacur. We buy it by the pound tub. :rolleyes: Takes care of the hooks. I believe Panacur can be used on whipworms, as well, but I'm not sure if it would be a single 3-day course or a 3-day course followed by another in 3 weeks. We can successfully eliminate them in the dogs, but because there's so much wildlife here, the hooks are a recurring problem. We finally just put the dogs on a twice-to-four-times-a-year (depending on symptoms and stool analysis results) deworming regimen alternating between Panacur and ivermectin. :shrug: Don't know if that would be considered 'successfully' getting rid of them, but at least we keep the parasite load to a minimum. :o

bluestar August 10th, 2011 06:57 AM

Our vet just had us put Duke and Toby on a Panacur regimen as a precautionary measure for Duke's anemia in case he picked up whipworms. We were on a 5 day regimen followed by another 5 days after 3 weeks. Duke was on a 9mm dose at 37 lbs and Toby was at 5mm at 21 lbs. Both came back clear on their stool samples and Duke's anemia has been cleared.

sue3pets August 10th, 2011 04:40 PM

worms

Any kind of treatment that you take, make sure while and after the treatment to continue to pick up the poop in the yard. My Vet told me to do this so that they can't get them again.
Sue

pbpatti August 10th, 2011 04:57 PM

Nookie, Nookie, Nookie, what will you get next? Robyn sorry that you are dealing with something new again with your boy/s...when is it going to end????:yuck: Hopefully Thorin does not get any 'cause he sure does not need this. patti

Rgeurts August 10th, 2011 06:30 PM

Thanks for the replies all :)

Thorin is getting 1 dose of heartguard and Nookie is getting a specific Chinese Herb combination to kill the parasites and control seizures. Hopefully they all work. It's the yard I'm really concerned about. Everything I have read said they pretty impossible to kill once in the soil, so I think it will be as you said, Hazel, just trying to control the infestations more than ridding it :shrug:

Patti, they are deworming Thorin just in case. His immune system is low right now from the chemo. But he only has 1 treatment left :highfive: :D

Sylvie August 11th, 2011 05:08 AM

Nookie, Nookie what will you think of next. By the time he is finished with you, you will be able to take the tests to become a vet :laughing:

Good luck in getting rid of the little worms.

Rgeurts August 11th, 2011 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=Sylvie;1020410]Nookie, Nookie what will you think of next. By the time he is finished with you, you will be able to take the tests to become a vet :laughing:

Good luck in getting rid of the little worms.[/QUOTE]

Sylvie, funny you should say that! Hubby and I were just talking about it the other day, and he said almost the exact same thing :laughing:
He thinks I should take the vet tech course, and I'm considering it! Nothing wrong with trying to learn as much as possible, and with our boys, we need all the knowledge we can get!! :D

I was talking to Dr. Marsden the other day and told him I was going to make an appt. for myself (my insurance has $500 available for Naturopath). He looked at me with almost a worried expression, didn't say anything for about 30 seconds, then said "Ok, but I sincerely hope you're not as complicated as Nookie" then laughed and gave him some tummy rubs :cloud9: :laughing: :laughing:

I would love to work in his clinic :)

Dog Dancer August 11th, 2011 10:33 AM

I thought you were going to say you got a tummy rub :eek: I can't believe now you're dealing with worms. Oh man, does it never end? Sorry no advice for you. Other than as a puppy I've never had to deal with worms. I think a vet tech course would be great, and you should get credit for what you already know...

chico2 August 11th, 2011 03:43 PM

What else could possibly happen to our Nookie-Monster,OMG :yell:
I think you studying to become a vet-tech is a great idea,between Thorin and Nookie,you probably have studied different ailments enough so you could get a Diploma right away:pawprint:

Rgeurts August 11th, 2011 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1020422]I thought you were going to say you got a tummy rub :eek: [/QUOTE]

Well, he is quite handsome :lightbulb: :laughing: :D
But I don't think hubs would be too happy :p

[QUOTE=chico2;1020460]What else could possibly happen to our Nookie-Monster,OMG :yell:
I think you studying to become a vet-tech is a great idea,between Thorin and Nookie,you probably have studied different ailments enough so you could get a Diploma right away:pawprint:[/QUOTE]

I so wish that were true!! But I don't think it's too long of a course anyway. Just a year :)

And I probably should clarify my previous comment for those who don't know... Steve (Dr. Marsden) is also a human Naturopath. One side of his clinic is humans and the other side is animals :)
I told Shaun (hubby) the other day that I needed to call and make a vet appt. He said "We just had Nookie at the vet" and I said "Oh! I meant a dr appt, it's for me!" :loser:
I can't count the times I've done that lol. So now, when I say that, I won't feel like such a dork because technically, my Dr. will also be a vet :D :laughing:

hazelrunpack August 11th, 2011 06:13 PM

I find myself telling friends I'm going the 'vet', too, when I mean the doc. I think I'd [I]prefer[/I] seeing the vets--they seem to do such a better job! :p Handsome, too, eh? :D

When we were nursing Evan through all his ailments I thought about becoming a vet tech, too. Never went through with it, though. Sorta sorry now that I didn't...but we never planned on having eight. :o

When would the classes start if you decide to go? Can you get in this fall, yet?