Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat behavior forum - cat training (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Shadows Peeing (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45795)

want4rain October 21st, 2007 05:18 PM

Shadows Peeing

Shadow peed on our bed. thankfully we had a cover on the bed but we have to go get a new cover.

if i take him to the vet tomorrow to check for crystals, will there still be a problem then?? or will it be a pointless exercise?

no changes in the house, diet, litter boxes are always pristine. more so because we just changed them and cleaned them out 16 hours ago. cleaned with bleach and then let sit out in the sun for 3 hours.

this is the 5th time over the last 2 years he has peed outside of the litter box. we ALWAYS keep them fabulously clean, we have 5 in 3 different locations.

Feliway really work? thats A LOT of money to shell out to know if it works or not. it would be nice if it did but they also sell "beaming crystals"..... that sort of damages my trust a little??

whats the likelyhood of the other cats peeing in the wrong places if one starts it? is the culprit more likely to pee bad places if we shut them out of all of the bedrooms??

-ashley

Frenchy October 21st, 2007 05:24 PM

The other cats might go if they still smell it. But they might not. If the urine test comes out ok , it could be just stress. One of my cats used to do that. She needed to be put on cat's valium.

badger October 21st, 2007 05:34 PM

If he has an infection, then I think your problem should be solved once he is on the meds. I'd still clean the area really well with that odour-removing stuff, though, so it doesn't become a habit.
I've been pondering Feliway too. If it actually works, I don't mind the price, but how to know in advance? There's a spray you can get, which is a bit cheaper and lets you target certain areas. Petsmart sells it on their website. Individual stores won't mail.

[url]http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kw=pheromone[/url]

want4rain October 21st, 2007 07:43 PM

hey badger, got a link for a money tree?? *sigh*

-ash

krdahmer October 21st, 2007 11:09 PM

Do you have a water resistant matress cover? That to me was THE single best investment I ever made. Windy was peeing on our bed ALL THE TIME, and for no specific reason, we had her to the vet, added litter boxes, everything we could think of, I was even using a steam cleaner on the matress every time with an enzyme cleaner... no luck.... until I went and invested in a matress cover, as I was getting tired of cleaning the matress as thats a big job, that way I figured that at least I would only have to wash the bedding. But surprise, the day I put that on the bed, the peeing stopped. We have a king size bed so it cost us about $75, but its been 2 years and no pee! If you haven't given that a try I highly recommend investing in one.:thumbs up Sometimes I think it may just be a scent or something that we can't smell, clean or get rid of that bothers them or attracts them enough to want to pee on the bed.

Good luck!

Chardonnay November 6th, 2007 06:46 PM

I just joined this Forum minutes ago and am having a similar problem. I wish I had read your post(s) earlier. Now I know I'm not alone with this "elimination" issue.

Chardonnay November 6th, 2007 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=want4rain;492428]
if i take him to the vet tomorrow to check for crystals, will there still be a problem then?? or will it be a pointless exercise?

no changes in the house, diet, litter boxes are always pristine. more so because we just changed them and cleaned them out 16 hours ago. cleaned with bleach and then let sit out in the sun for 3 hours.

Feliway really work? thats A LOT of money to shell out to know if it works or not. it would be nice if it did but they also sell "beaming crystals"..... that sort of damages my trust a little??

whats the likelyhood of the other cats peeing in the wrong places if one starts it? is the culprit more likely to pee bad places if we shut them out of all of the bedrooms??

-ashley[/QUOTE]

One of my cats had crystals twice. The second time required surgery. She had 70 crystals in her little bladder. IF this is what your cat has, he would be constantly squatting. Your vet knows best. Antibiotics and a dose of fluids should clear it up.

As for shutting them out of the bedrooms, I started that two weeks ago, now my "culprit" is peeing on the couch. I'm not having a good time here!

want4rain November 6th, 2007 08:12 PM

[I]actually[/I] turns out we pinched out noses too early!! we havent had :fingerscr another problem with it. our first problem was because i had too much calcium in his diet. have you thought of a diet change?? what are you feeding your cat??

and welcome to pets.ca!!

-ash

Chardonnay November 7th, 2007 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=want4rain;498812][I]actually[/I] turns out we pinched out noses too early!! we havent had :fingerscr another problem with it. our first problem was because i had too much calcium in his diet. have you thought of a diet change?? what are you feeding your cat??

and welcome to pets.ca!!

-ash[/QUOTE]

Was that question directed at me?

Chardonnay November 7th, 2007 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=Chardonnay;499156]Was that question directed at me?[/QUOTE]

Based on another Thread, I guess that was directed at me.

All my cats eat Friskies dry food ... as much as they want during the day ... and 9-Lives or Friskies canned food at night. No beef. Just turkey, chicken, or fish.

As a matter of fact, I used to feed my cats Friskies dry food for "urinary health" or something like that. Related to ash as I recall. When my other cat came down with crystals, my vet spoke highly Friskies, but didn't have high praise for this formula. She also said that changing my cats diet could lead to crystals. That made sense. The first time this other cat developed crystals was when I had another cat with kidney disease and changed all the cats to what is known as the "KD" formula. Sadly, I lost my cat who developed kidney disease. He was a Humane Society cat ... just about 7 when he died ... a Himalayan ... beautiful, gentle boy ... but there was nothing we could do. See ... now I'm sad ... enough about that.

want4rain November 7th, 2007 07:41 PM

i havent had a chance to go through your other thread so forgive me if i end up addressing this there too!!

i would strongly suggest a bit of digging into our food forum with a close eye to homemade or raw diets. :)

-ashley

Chardonnay November 7th, 2007 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=want4rain;499167]i havent had a chance to go through your other thread so forgive me if i end up addressing this there too!!

i would strongly suggest a bit of digging into our food forum with a close eye to homemade or raw diets. :)

-ashley[/QUOTE]

I will do that. Thank you.

There's so much information on this Forum, it'll take me weeks to go through it all! Of course, that's why I joined.