Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Cat losing fur - Answered by Dr. Slome (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=1013)

Francine Patron February 8th, 2003 04:40 PM

Cat fur loss

My 7-year-old Russian blue is losing fur. She has never been out of the house. I acquired 2 of my deceased mother's cats 3 years ago, who are also totally indoor cats, and who are not losing fur. I have examined her closely, I know it's not ringworm. She has no lesions or redness on her skin, and she does not appear to itch. So, what could be the cause? Genetics? A vitamin deficiency?

petdr February 12th, 2003 04:18 PM

You cannot rule out ringworm based on appearance only. Ringworm manifests in a different way in cats from people. Dietary allergies, behaviour anxieties, parasites, hormone diseases are some of the causes and there is no way an opinion over by internet will help in this case. Your cat will need an exam, possibly a skin scrape and microscopic exam and a biopsy may need to be considered also. Your vet will need to guide you based on the clincial exam. Sorry I cannot be of greater help but good luck with trying to diagnose the condition and treating it.

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street Units, 40-42
Thornhill
Ontario
L4J 7Y3

Tel. (905) 771-9855

jayne March 21st, 2003 11:14 PM

My Emmy

has the same problem as your Russina Blue, fur loss around her back legs and stomach and moving up her thighs and at the base of her tail on her back...very healthy although we hae 3 males cats that she does not get on with at all Im thinking it is stress.

Have you found any solutions for your kitten....Jayne

Buttons September 2nd, 2003 03:09 PM

My grandma also has a cat who has recently started to loose the hair on her paws and stomach. I thought at first it might be dry skin. The cat is about 8 or 9 years old and stays indoors for the most part. She might wander out the porch but typcially does not go to the ground.

Does anyone have any suggestions. My grandma is retired and on a fixed income.

Thanks

slider September 12th, 2003 10:12 PM

Re: chow chow hair loss

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Francine Patron [/i]
[B]My 7-year-old Russian blue is losing fur. She has never been out of the house. I acquired 2 of my deceased mother's cats 3 years ago, who are also totally indoor cats, and who are not losing fur. I have examined her closely, I know it's not ringworm. She has no lesions or redness on her skin, and she does not appear to itch. So, what could be the cause? Genetics? A vitamin deficiency? [/B][/QUOTE]

Lucky Rescue September 13th, 2003 08:58 AM

I would take Dr.Slome's advice and have her thoroughly checked out for any medical problem, or parasites.

She may be overgrooming herself because of stress brought on by the arrival of the other cats.

I had a female cat who did this when I added a dog to my home. She removed all the fur from the backs of her hind legs and her belly.

Is the hair loss only in places that she can reach and lick?

akeena72 June 15th, 2004 06:43 PM

Fur loss

:( I have a 1 yr old tonkaneese male cat. Hes an indoor/ourdoor cat. a few mo. ago he got scratched by another cat and loss his eye. He just had what was left of his eye removed and he was nuturted and had his shots. At the same time he was in the Vets. We moved in with my mother who has 2 female cats. When I took Romeo home from the vets he was healthy but stressed out in his new home. The two female cats tried to attack him a few times I kept him seperate in the house. Its been almost 1 mo. and last week i was brushing him and noticed his had a bold spot on his neck.. then yesterday i noticed two more bold spots. one between his shoulder blades and the other near his hip. Im worried about him.. I keep waiting to see if it will just go away. Is it stress related? I cant aford to bring him back to the vets yet. Im still paying off his bill.. Anybody has any sugestions ??

calowell June 6th, 2008 06:44 AM

My Russian Blue has the same (removing stomach fur) issue

Hello!

My 3 yr old Russian Blue female has the same issue of removing her stomach fur. The local vet thought it was stress. I won't rule that out, but am struggling to see what may have changed to cause her to stress - or now to suddenly act out on it. The vet checked for Ringworm, and was going to do a scratch test, but then didn't (not sure why - she offered no explanation on that). The skin looks fine. Any new insite to this seemingly elusive issue?

tortoiseshell December 21st, 2008 07:54 PM

hair loss

My 8 year old female cat has started to lose hair on her thighs, belly and base of her tail, I have not seen her over grooming but think this might be the reason. It is interesting how most of the cats mentioned here are female!
Mine is neutered and lives with 4 males and a dog. I have recently frontline sprayed her but she was already showing signs before this. Her grandmother had the same problem every time my mum went away, and it started after she licked the frontline drops off the other cats!!

I am not ruling out ringworm as most cats carry it on their fur, especially longhairs. I have some special shampoo from a few years ago when I rescued a feral kitten only to find it had lice, fleas, worms and ringworm!!! All my cats had to be treated for ringworm then but it did manifest itself in bald round patches rather than large areas.

I know she is overdue worming so I am going to Drontal all of them, shampoo her and see if there is any improvement.

caite! May 3rd, 2010 07:01 AM

my cat

my cat will be 8 in June. in the last few weks she is loosing fur on her hind legs an its now startin on her belly and back. her ears are also oozing. i have 3 other cats who live in the same conditions who seem perfect. it could be that there is a stray male cat around. i really want to fix the problem.:thumbs up

calowell July 11th, 2010 08:28 PM

Wondering about the female angle

Hi there -

So, it's quite a bit later and she's still doing it. I wondered if it was due to my discarding her favorite peice of furniture. Her brother passed away unexpectedly a few months ao and she's coming out her shell. She really likes being rubbed on the tummy. I wonder if this is the cat equivalent to the surgical menpause and having the natural processes interrupted? Any one have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

catlover2 July 12th, 2010 10:19 AM

Here's some websites about over-grooming that may be helpful.

[url]http://www.ehow.com/how_2307707_stop-cat-from-over-grooming.html[/url]
[url]http://www.cat-world.com.au/over-grooming-in-cats[/url]
[url]http://cats.about.com/od/behaviortraining/a/catover-grooming.htm[/url]