Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What can I do to minimize his pain (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84547)

jremedios September 10th, 2013 01:17 PM

What can I do to minimize his pain

My poodle is 12 years and 8 months. It is a standard poodle with white skin full of patches (people*say it may be hypothyroidism). He weighs 10.5 Kg. He is fat, blind, moans a lot and looks at the back of his body oftenly. As a result he gets his spine crooked*doing that. He has a lot of weakness on his rear legs. He scratches a lot and creates sores because of that. He has otitis and gets sometimes his legs locked up and with spasms. But his recent blood test only indicates a mild anemia. Can anybody help with any suggestion that might reduce his pain and suffering?

Dr Lee September 10th, 2013 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=jremedios;1061428]My poodle is 12 years and 8 months. It is a standard poodle with white skin full of patches (people*say it may be hypothyroidism). He weighs 10.5 Kg. He is fat, blind, moans a lot and looks at the back of his body oftenly. As a result he gets his spine crooked*doing that. He has a lot of weakness on his rear legs. He scratches a lot and creates sores because of that. He has otitis and gets sometimes his legs locked up and with spasms. But his recent blood test only indicates a mild anemia. Can anybody help with any suggestion that might reduce his pain and suffering?[/QUOTE]

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about everything that he is going through. There are a lot of options with regard to pain relief however it sounds like there could be a number of things going on.

1) Potential hypothyroidism. While this does not cause pain, the test if fairly straightforward, the medication is very safe, effective and inexpensive and it will help increase quality of life if this is addressed. It can also help with weakness.
2) Otitis and sores. Chronic allergies? Whether chronic allergies alone or the very common concurrent infections, having this worked up and treated will help. Chronic allergies and otitis is very uncomfortable and there many different options that your vet can work help you with.
3) Rear limb weakness. The top concerns would be: primary neurologic (easily evaluated by a careful neurologic exam as part of a physical), osteoarthritis and/or a complication from the anemia. There are many medications that can help with the arthritis. Some things that can be done for the neurologic and if there is anemia - this needs to be addressed.
4) Anemia. What did your vet say about this?? Why is there anemia? How low was the blood cell count.

It sounds like you have recently been to a veterinarian since he just had blood work. What did she or he say about these problems? options about the pain? If you were not getting a list of options (both diagnostic and treatment) for these problems, then I would consider getting a copy of your bloodwork and obtaining a second opinion. Alternatively, I would go back for a recheck and ask that your vet sit down with you and carefully go over each problem and the list of possible actions to help.

As pets age, they of course have a higher risk of having multiple problems and as you have pointed out by your question - there are things that could and should be done to make sure our pets are as comfortable as possible.

If you can provide more information or blood test results, then perhaps there could be more specific recommendations given to you.

I hope this helps. :pawprint:

MaxaLisa September 17th, 2013 08:46 PM

I believe that some hypothyroid dogs will be anemic, but I would also be worried about possible tick disease, or maybe a reaction to a recent vaccination.

Personally, I would consider a round of doxycycline, as it also helps in osteoarthritis.

jremedios September 18th, 2013 05:19 AM

Kiko still the same

Kiko is still moaning a lot. He got ticks when we came to the farm. I don't know how to remove them. He's getting worse. I fear his time is comming

Barkingdog September 18th, 2013 09:02 AM

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html[/url]

This tell how to remove a tick and you should remove them as they're sucking your poor dog blood out of him.

You need to be sure to get the head out too and put some antibiotic ointment on the bite once you get the tick out. The longer the tick stay on a dog it can leave a bigger wound.

MaxaLisa September 19th, 2013 12:42 AM

Guessing doesn't help a whole lot. Some blood tests, doxycycline, etc.....would.