Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet photography - Pet pictures (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   If I lay here .... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78461)

Goldfields August 31st, 2011 03:49 AM

If I lay here ....

1 Attachment(s)
This photo of my dear old boy, Perkins,(15) with his blonde girlfriend, Gemma(11) just reminded me of these words from the song 'Chasing Cars' .....

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world? :)

Such photo's are really valued now Perkins is this old.

Marty11 August 31st, 2011 06:54 AM

Touching!!!! Beautiful senior dogs. They are so peaceful at that age.

chico2 August 31st, 2011 07:46 AM

GF,lovely sweet old faces and yes,they look really peaceful and sweet:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack August 31st, 2011 10:21 AM

What a lovely portrait of them, GF! They do look very at peace with the world! :cloud9:

Goldfields August 31st, 2011 11:02 AM

I couldn't resist the photo opportunity seeing they looked so comfortable with each other's company . :)

Dog Dancer August 31st, 2011 11:06 AM

Beautiful picture GF. Just laying there passing time, wish I could join them and stretch out and watch the day go by in peace.

lindapalm August 31st, 2011 05:16 PM

They look like they are very comfortable with each other, like old friends.

CsqU4r3d August 31st, 2011 05:29 PM

What a touching shot. They look like an older married couple comfortable with each other ... I love the way it looks like Perkins is reaching out to touch Gemma's paw.:lovestruck::dog:

Goldfields August 31st, 2011 08:06 PM

Until we lost Cuddles back in April, Perkins could not be with the Shelties, he had to be company for her seeing he was the only dog she respected. But I knew he's always loved Silk though, and he was super gentle back when I had my little Chihuahua, and now obviously he's pals with Gemma too ... just more of the reasons that eventually losing him will be absolutely shattering for me. Such a good boy all his life, except for his rare crazy cattle dog moments. LOL.

DMCWLVSSR August 31st, 2011 09:04 PM

What a great pic! Beautiful, friends

Dee-O-Gee August 31st, 2011 09:38 PM

What a lovely picture GF. They truly look like good friends. :lovestruck:

Goldfields August 31st, 2011 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1022741]Beautiful picture GF. Just laying there passing time, wish I could join them and stretch out and watch the day go by in peace.[/QUOTE]
Perkins always comes to lie beside me if I sit down, DD, he's become very effectionate in his old age. It's lovely sitting in the sun, patting him and listening to all the birds. There was a time when he didn't really like being touched, too active and independant. I have to wipe away tears reading what you and others are going through with your oldies, it's a case of been there, done that and know I'm only a whisker away from those worries again with Perkins. Makes one appreciate each day extra that we have with them. By the way, this boy likes everything hand fed to him too, amazing how fast he can eat if he doesn't have to make the effort. :D I was thinking, if you are concerned about Shadow falling on the steps, you could always go down with her and support her with a towel under her belly. I'll need to be doing that for him soon, or on his bad days, he is quite weak in one hind leg sometimes. :(

Dog Dancer September 1st, 2011 11:22 AM

GF, it's funny how quickly they get used to letting us feed them isn't it! Shadow does okay on the stairs so long as she pays attention. If she gets going too fast she'll trip. I normally try to leash her at the top of the stairs so I can control the speed of descent:D Sometimes Halo goes down first and starts barking at something and then Shadow races down them and that's always a bad thing. But yes we've done the towel thing before with our last dog. Mostly now I try to use the front stairs for Shadow as there are only a few. Perkins is a sweetie. Shadow seems to like coming and laying her head on my arm for neck scratches lately, which is new for her. She always used to just wander by and have a quick hello and then move on. She has to know I'm around, but not super cuddly. Lately though she'll stand in front of me and just lean her head on me. I'm loving that new affectionate side of her!:lovestruck: This is such a peaceful shot though.

Melinda September 1st, 2011 11:44 AM

what a beautiful picture to have....

Goldfields September 1st, 2011 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, funny that, DD! :laughing: Perkins was always destined to be waited on though. A pro handler at a show once said 'Perkins? What sort of name is that, he sounds like a butler" :D, and of course I just laughed and said no, he thinks I'm HIS butler. (He was named after our gold medallist Olympian swimmer, Keiran Perkins.) Terrible that we've got to the stage where Perkins now says "You may hand feed me now" LOL. Whatever it takes to get them to eat well though.
Once the oldies get the momentum up on that downhill journey, even on my ramp here, falls are always a possibility unfortunately. I may have to try and slow Perkins down too. His body mass pushes him down faster than his arthritic old legs can totter sometimes.
That's lovely that Shadow is seeking some TLC, it means more nice memories later on.
Here's my boy again, this time with Silk.