Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Upset stomach (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10811)

bulldogman January 3rd, 2005 12:35 PM

Upset stomach

my dog has been throwing up - what can I feed her to help her with her upset stomach?

BMDLuver January 3rd, 2005 12:40 PM

why?

Have you determined the cause of vomitting? Perhaps a vet visit is in order? Depending on why your dog is vomitting, there are different ways to help. You first need to figure out why. Hope the dog gets better soon.

sammiec January 3rd, 2005 12:44 PM

Has your dog gotten into anything out of the ordinary??

It's very important that you watch your animals carefully this time of year. There is possible spills of antifreeze anywhere and everywhere!

How frequent is the vomiting? Depending on how frequent and if there is mucous or blood; try feeding her some plain white rice or some potatoes.

Call the vet and describe the symptoms (if any). If it's been once case of throwing up... I would watch her and see if she develops any symptoms.

bulldogman January 3rd, 2005 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=sammiec]Has your dog gotten into anything out of the ordinary??

It's very important that you watch your animals carefully this time of year. There is possible spills of antifreeze anywhere and everywhere!

How frequent is the vomiting? Depending on how frequent and if there is mucous or blood; try feeding her some plain white rice or some potatoes.

Call the vet and describe the symptoms (if any). If it's been once case of throwing up... I would watch her and see if she develops any symptoms.[/QUOTE]

She's thrown up twice in the last 12 hours - dog food and a mixture of grass is all that is visible. I will feed her some rice - should I mix anything else with the rice? Thank you

whinnie-boo January 3rd, 2005 12:49 PM

You don't by chance have a chewed up pointsetta around your house do you, or any chewed plants for that matter? They are extremley leathal to animals, and a common cause of Holiday Illnesses. My mother took extreme offence to that fact that I refused the Pointsetta she bought for my this year, I will not have them in my house. But, until last year didn't even know about the damage they can cause.

Hopefully its nothing serious

sammiec January 3rd, 2005 12:58 PM

Just plain old minute rice will do. You can add a beef broth or chicken broth if you like.

Are you feeding her the same food - you haven't changed it? What about her portions? Sometimes my Briggs will get excited if there is other stuff going on and she will eat really fast so she doesn't miss the fun! Then her stomach gets upset.

bulldogman January 3rd, 2005 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=sammiec]Just plain old minute rice will do. You can add a beef broth or chicken broth if you like.

Are you feeding her the same food - you haven't changed it? What about her portions? Sometimes my Briggs will get excited if there is other stuff going on and she will eat really fast so she doesn't miss the fun! Then her stomach gets upset.[/QUOTE]

I believe you hit the nail on the head - I forgot I mixed some other dog food w/her regular diet food. Thanks for the advice - I'll mix some chicken broth w/her rice. Thank you!!!!

sammiec January 3rd, 2005 01:43 PM

Changing food suddenly can wreck ahvoc on your dog's system. It needs to be introduced slowly and a little at a time. If you drastically change the food it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Nothing they can't get over but it's a scary.. and I'm sure they don't enjoy it much!

Just pay attention to her attitude, see if she's sluggish, moody, etc... If she seems normal that's great! Make sure that she has lots of water so she doesn't become dehydrated!