Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   We got possum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78730)

renegaderuby September 21st, 2011 08:55 PM

We got possum

come home tonight to find "petey" the possum on our front porch "sharing" kibble from trooper kittys bowl. He so far is very calm, very cautious and not agressive whatso ever. He even waits "his turn" before sharing in the kitty kibble.

Can anyone tell me the "downside" to not trapping him and relocating him.
As he really dosent seem to be a nussiance, and other than the food he eats, is no cost to us.

He's definatly a "HE" , but he's young. So I'd say..we've got a juvy on our hands. THANKS.

growler~GateKeeper September 21st, 2011 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's Petey the Possum - so cute :)
[ATTACH]75796[/ATTACH]

lindapalm September 21st, 2011 10:16 PM

I don't know how true this is, but I once heard a farmer tell our vet that possums were killing his barn cats. You might want to keep an eye on your cats, just in case.

Rgeurts September 21st, 2011 11:16 PM

What a sweet little face!!! :D

hazelrunpack September 22nd, 2011 08:13 AM

Possums are darling until they open their mouths--they have the most teeth of any north american mammal as I recall :D We've never had any problems with possums, but when cornered, they can put up a good fight. So yes, there's a chance they might have a run-in with a cat and hurt it, but would a cat attack something that big in the first place?

There's always the possibility of diseases and worms being passed from wildlife to pets, but getting rid of one possum would likely not stop that from happening--there's always some other critter to step into its place. So you might want to increase the deworming schedule on your pets, or at least take in more frequent fecal samples for testing.

Melinda September 22nd, 2011 08:54 AM

oh my god he's sweet, all I know about them is you can train em like raccoons....*L* lot of help I am

renegaderuby September 22nd, 2011 01:56 PM

Thank you everyone. Well "trooper" is a VERY relaxed kitty. He litterly looked at PETEY, like..hey, what are you. Sniffed him..and went back to eating.
Then petey (after waiting till trooper was finished with his supper) , walked very slowly over to the bowl, put his hands up on it, looked over at trooper like "hey what are you, sniffed the air, stared for a min"..then helped himself to the kibble.
Trooper then jumped up on the porch railing and watched his "new" dinner date with a "geesh am i ever gonna have my supper to myself" look on his face...and that was it.
If it STAYS this way, I will just de-worm a little more often..and allow "petey" to dine with trooper.
If petey starts bringing all his mates, and any "scuffles" occur...then we'll relocated em.
But so far...its just SOMETHING else we are feeding. LOL

I remember back as a child , my grandmother had a baby racoon she raised from a kit, and eventually a possum joined the ranks. So "bitsy" the racoon and "polly" the possum are forever extched in my childhood memories.

PS: thank you growler for being my "PICTURE" angel :)

chico2 September 22nd, 2011 04:47 PM

I would not trap and relocate a Possum,the only damage they do around here,is digging up the lawn,not mine,but a few of my neighbors:thumbs up
I think we just have to learn to live with wild-life,I know at night here,I have all kinds of critters under my bird-feeders,skunks,raccoons and possums and it's fine with me..

renegaderuby September 22nd, 2011 06:08 PM

Thanks. I'm glad there are no real downfalls to petey being here.

growler~GateKeeper September 23rd, 2011 01:56 AM

[QUOTE=renegaderuby;1024912]PS: thank you growler for being my "PICTURE" angel :)[/QUOTE]

You're welcome :D

renegaderuby September 23rd, 2011 01:41 PM

Petey enjoyed kibble with roast drippings on it last night. got a good pic of him, and growler will more than likely be posting said picture later. Thanks growler!

chico2 September 23rd, 2011 04:52 PM

Can't wait to see it...

growler~GateKeeper September 23rd, 2011 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here he is enjoying dinner
[ATTACH]75800[/ATTACH]

renegaderuby September 23rd, 2011 11:50 PM

Thank you growler. I promise, unless he just does something completely adorable, I'll not bother you with any more pics of petey.
He came back tonight...munched and then retreated under our porch.
We are glad he's here, as I'm sure with him and trooper , the mice population will be nothing this winter . Well, that is IF possum eat mice. Truly I have no idea what they eat in the wild (obviously they like kitty kibble, and roast tidbits...lol)

chico2 September 24th, 2011 07:49 AM

Thank's Growler,I love their feet look just like hands.
I believe Possums will eat just about anything,but I am not sure.
The way they dig up lawns,they are looking for grubs and when I say dig up lawns,they really do.
My neighbor behind us had a large Possum trapped because of his lawn,it's a long story,so I won't rehash it...but the Possum was the loser:(

growler~GateKeeper September 24th, 2011 11:39 PM

renegaderuby you're welcome, it's no problem at all :)

[QUOTE=chico2;1025073]Thank's Growler,I love their feet look just like hands.[/QUOTE]

I was quite surprised at how far apart their front toes are :D

Bina September 25th, 2011 03:01 PM

Oh yeah, the feet and hands are most impressive. Thanks for sharing.

CsqU4r3d September 25th, 2011 03:51 PM

Petey is a real cutie!! Love those hands/feet... thanx for the pix.:lovestruck::laughing:

chico2 September 25th, 2011 04:26 PM

When I saw one for the first time(we don't have them in Sweden)I wondered what the heck they were,but since then,I really love them and the fact they have a pouch for their babies.

hazelrunpack September 25th, 2011 07:05 PM

Those strange paws leave the weirdest tracks, too! :D

renegaderuby September 28th, 2011 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1025141]Those strange paws leave the weirdest tracks, too! :D[/QUOTE]

Yes they do. I now know "what" or "who" was in my flower bed in the front. I was thinking it was trooper kitty, but the tracks looked funny, so I was trying to figure out WHAT it was. After seeing "petey's" hands and feet up close it was like :lightbulb:, also if anyone does a close up of that hand or foot..CHEKC OUT THOSE NAILS! YIKES. wonder if petey would like a pedi? :laughing:

renegaderuby October 2nd, 2011 09:42 PM

Petey enjoyed some pineapple last night. Who knew? LOL

chico2 October 3rd, 2011 08:33 AM

I am glad Petey has a friend:laughing:around here people do not like Possums,except for me.
I've only seen 2 this year,one dead on the road:(another in my neighbors(idiot) trap:yell:

Melinda October 3rd, 2011 08:38 AM

man his feet are so cute*L* I'm glad everyone is getting along

renegaderuby October 5th, 2011 12:07 AM

Well petey was back for more kibble (and more pinapple). He sure is a cute little fellow. Apparently he's decided to "stay". (or at least visit once a night)

renegaderuby October 8th, 2011 04:08 PM

Petey is doing well. He's not created any mischief so far. He enjoyed pinapple, left over chicken and dumplings, and kitty kibble last night. He makes his rounds I suppose, but we see him every evening , around the same time usually. I'll try to get a picture of him with the pinapple...but so far the little booger has finished it (first) before we see he is out there. As he is really guiet..and the only way we know he's out there is we just happen to look.

Bina October 8th, 2011 06:43 PM

Pretty soon Petey is going to demand a Pina Colada and a comfy bed ;)

renegaderuby October 9th, 2011 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=Bina;1026331]Pretty soon Petey is going to demand a Pina Colada and a comfy bed ;)[/QUOTE]

:laughing:, as long as I get one too...I'll gladly give petey one. as to the compy bed. Well we have a giant dog house with hay on our front porch. Its really for troop, but it has to get REALLY cold before troop will use it. So...i guess if petey really wants to..he can use it for now. As long as he dosent use it for a bathroom :yuck:

renegaderuby November 8th, 2011 12:02 AM

apparently "petey" has a "gf" or a "wife". LOL. as a much "rounder" possum is visiting and is "minus" the 'dangly" boy parts.
dear lord please dont let us end up with baby's. I hope its just a fluffy female and not a preggo female. :)
but we are apparently feeding the stray cats, coons, skunk that is made a den under our house (STINKY "STEWART") ..so hey..whats a few more...sigh. lol.

NoahGrey November 28th, 2011 01:19 PM

Relocating ANY wildlife is a deathwish. The spread of disease, lack or trying to find food, shelter and fighting for terrority. It is a fact that the majority of wild animals that are trapped and relocated do not survive.