Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Hog-Tied Dog Washes Up On Beach (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=7601)

heidiho September 23rd, 2004 11:51 AM

Hog-Tied Dog Washes Up On Beach

BOSTON -- Police on the North Shore are investigating a terrible case of animal cruelty after the remains of a golden retriever washed up on a beach.

Video

Steve Sbraccia Reports On Discovery

NewsCenter 5's Steve Sbraccia reported that the dog was hog-tied inside a burlap sack. Police in Nahant are investigating and the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is also involved.

Those who are involved in the investigation are upset by the way the dog was killed, and they are hoping they can find the culprit who so cruelly disposed of the dog.

The dog was discovered Tuesday morning by a person walking the beach near the Lynn/Nahant line. At first glance, it appeared to be a large piece of cloth with something bundled inside. When it was unwrapped, the gruesome discovery was made.

"It's a male golden retriever -- an older dog. It was tied with a rope very tightly around its muzzle, then hog-ted around its four feet and then it was wrapped in burlap," MSPCA Officer Martha Parkhurst said.

Investigators said that the dog apparently drowned. They said that the rope wouldn't have been placed around its muzzle if the animal wasn't alive when it was wrapped up in the burlap and tossed into the ocean.

"I really don't see a reason for it. There are shelters where people can bring an animal they no longer want. There are vets who will take it if you can no longer take care of the dog because it's sick. There are other alternatives besides letting it have a cruel and inhumane death," Parkhurst said.

Investigators are hoping that someone will be able to recognize the dog from its description and help them identify its owner. In the meantime, the MSPCA and Nahant's animal control officer are trying to determine where the rope and burlap came from as they look for whoever killed the animal.
Copyright 2004 by TheBostonChannel. All rights

heidiho September 23rd, 2004 11:52 AM

I had to see this,so does everyone else

mastifflover September 23rd, 2004 12:01 PM

Despicable low lifes how sad I hope they find him and do the same to them

heidiho September 23rd, 2004 12:04 PM

I know i really dont get it,i hope they do find them and do some jail time and become someones girlfriend.............

glasslass September 23rd, 2004 01:06 PM

This makes me ill. That poor dog! How can anyone be so cruel?

krdahmer September 23rd, 2004 01:08 PM

IT's unbelievable....the INhumanity of humans. :mad: :(

debanneball September 23rd, 2004 01:10 PM

What possible thing could that dog have done to deserve this.....all they want is love, and in return GIVE SO MUCH TO US. Our pet's make us better people.