Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself here - Say hello (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   So Thankful- Im new (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78171)

renegaderuby August 6th, 2011 11:42 PM

So Thankful- Im new

Hello everyone , I'm new. So thankful to have found a site that will NOT treat me as if I am a complete "nut" because I have more than two animals. I swear people really do look at me as if I am insaine when I tell them I have five dogs. (i rarely add that I also have two cats, a beta fish, and nine hermit crabs). Because at that point they are already thinking "this lady is a nut job". :laughing:...

All I can say is from the time I opened my eyes on this earth, ANIMALS and ME were in the same sentance. In fact, the way my mother got me to learn to crawl was by placing me on one side of the room, and a cute little pup named gabe on the other. I wanted that dog so badly at six months old...I literally crawled completely across the room to get to him. And I was not happy just to sit or lay next to him...no no no. I HAD to cuddle him, and slobber on him, and chatter at him, and squeeze him. Much to his delight of course. Mom said if she couldnt find me , she'd look for the dog. If she couldnt find the dog, she'd look for me. We were inseperable.

As I grew, so did my love for the animals. Thankfully I have a husband that puts up with it. Although I am no longer allowed to go to dog adoptions, pet stores unattended, look at the pets section of the newspaper, or worse, go vollenteer at the humane society any longer :p...I've been capped at five dogs (four daschunds and a chiweenie (i forgave her for having chiwawa in her ..lol)...and the two cats, and then the crabs, and cant forget my beta (hank).

I swear, I think if I brought home something else, he'd divorce me...;)

well thats it for now. thanks for reading this far.

hazelrunpack August 7th, 2011 09:02 AM

You have [I]five[/I] dogs?!? :eek: Why that's just :crazy:...which means you'll fit right in here! :laughing: I have 8. I'll reserve you the rubber room next to mine! :p Welcome to the board!

Oh, and we get sorta demanding about pics of fur-babies if you have some to share--also scale-babies and shell-babies if you can manage it. :thumbs up

Looking forward to hearing more about your menagerie. I'm sure there must be some good stories there! :D

Sylvie August 7th, 2011 09:26 AM

Welcome to the board. I know what you mean about people. I have four pupsters. Can't afford to feed anymore or I would have them. :crazy:

One woman at work asked me why do I have four dogs and I just turned to her and said why do you have 4 kids, she walked away. I guess I upset her :laughing:

As Hazel said pictures, pictures, pictures :D

marko August 7th, 2011 09:48 AM

Welcome to the board Renegaderuby...you'll find you'll fit in around here :D !

Rgeurts August 7th, 2011 10:37 AM

Welcome to the board, renegaderuby!! You will find some of the sweetest, most caring (and thankfully for one of my boys, knowledgeable) people you will ever meet. Hopefully you will stick around, and as the others said, PICTURES please :D

erykah1310 August 7th, 2011 09:47 PM

Welcome and no worries about having 5 dogs, many of us here have several, myself i have 7. Much larger than yours with the exception of 2 of them.
I would have 8 but I can't afford 8 lol
Add to the dogs our 3 cats and 3 horses plus hey why not board a friends horse here too? 4 rabbits and I do believe that is all for now :D
Can't wait to see pics of your crew

renegaderuby August 7th, 2011 09:50 PM

Technical issues

THANKS so much for the warm welcome. I will do my best to post some pics. But I've not had much luck in the past with that. My "vista" is a pain. But like i said. I will try. I also have had to log in over and over and over on here, for some reason. I type the same thing in everytime..but it seems to not like me for some reason.

Stories someone mentiond. Oh yes...I have egads of them.
Do you want the one where renegade ruby (aka "ruby") ate rat poisin like it was mnm's...the time toby chewed the lamp cord while it was still plugged in and electricuted himself into a seizure, and then two hours later DID IT AGAIN? Do you want the one where ruby decided that it was a good idea to go straight up to the highway the one and ONLY time she darted out the door and got hit by a car and had her pelvic bone broke in three places. Hmmm...those are naughty stories. I have good ones too. I promise.

Mostly. We have "issues" and "chapters". Today was a "issue" day. Tommorow is likely to be a "chapter". LOL.

Nahhh...we got a good bunch. Sure they have thier issues. Ruby has kidney diabetes and had to be the one in a million that dosent respond to meds...so we have to just control diet. Colby has seperation anxiety and has had to be relocated to HIS OWN ROOM because he will wail, whine, bark, howl and scratch at his kennel door all night..btu if you leave him out..he will chew whatever his mouth can get on (usually my favorite sandles)...saydee is very sweet, but has her "attitude" about anyone near her kennel...so should a shadow pass..she's acting as if she's protecting her life. (LOL..she sounds so fierce ..really). She was born minus two toes, and was GIVEN to us, and she's the spicest thing ever. In fact her name is actually FREETOE (cause she was free and minus two toes) SASSY SAYDEE. Prissy is the chiweenie and emphasis on the CHI part. She is a spunky old lady.
Her and colby were humane society rescues.

But to the positives. Ruby is my shadow..she insists I cant pee without her, she is my talker "she will bark to anything I ask" and it often sounds like words. Her newwest trick is bark/whine thing that sounds like "im hungry".
Saydee is the best little "play" pup..she'll play and run and so forth until she just plops down exhausted and cant move anymore. (great for fighting bordem). Colby loves to snuggle and can give the best foot massage (licks until your foot is PINK). (ruby does that too). Toby is the stupidest dog ever..but he's so loving you really do forgive him for being stupid. He loves everyone, and all the dogs can push him over. If he has food or a treat...he SHARES. I kid you not. His only thing he will not share is HIS PURPLE JINGLE BELL BALL.
That dog is OBSESSED. if you take his ball away and set it to where he cant get it..he will sit motionless staring at it for HOURS. We tested him one time to see how long he'd stare before he'd give up. an hour later we felt like jerks and gave it to him. I dont know what we will ever do if something happens to that ball (we have two spares just in case).

well thats it for starters I guess. again..thanks for the warm welcome!!

renegaderuby August 7th, 2011 10:41 PM

SORRY everyone. I tried to post pictures. this site worked fine...something about when my pictures are uploading the thing freezes up. It runs and runs and runs...and then it freezes. I have dialup and vista...so who knows. sorry . I'd love to show off my animals.

hazelrunpack August 7th, 2011 10:46 PM

Hmmmm...let me think. I used to have dial-up and am stuck with Vista, too.

When you log in are you checking the box that says "Remember me"? That might help the disconnect issue.

How big (KB) are the pics you're trying to upload? The smaller in size, the better if you're on dial-up. I used to cut mine down to under 200 KB, either by reducing pixels or reducing resolution, and they'd upload pretty well. Anything much larger than 400KB would freeze me out on either the upload or the download and video...well fergiddabouddit...

kheops-ramses August 8th, 2011 12:57 AM

Wow, I'd love to have this many dogs :cry: but I rent, and my landlord made a funny face when we told him we took a second dog, last January.

My dogs are like my kids, so I can relate.:grouphug:

renegaderuby August 8th, 2011 10:02 AM

Yes...the remember me seems to be helping. Thanks. As to the pictures...I've tried reducing them. tried just doing ONE on there for now...everything. I dont know. I've had this problem lately. I'll get my computer guru brother in law over here one day and tell him to "fix it". LOL.
In the meantime...Just take my word. THEY ARE ALL ADORABLE.
We lost the crabs. I forgot to mention that. They apparently didnt do well in my simulated inviorment..and were getting awful sick and dropping like flies. so ..they were put out of thier misery and now we just have the dogs, the outside kittys and the beta. but that is still a housefull. Oh..and all the dogs are INSIDE dogs. so...imagine FIVE small to medium dogs having run of the house at all times. LOL..it is CHAOS to the FIFTH degree. But I wouldnt have it any other way. they go out to potty, run around the yard for an hour ..and back in they are to "entertain" me. thou..they think its the other way around. (they are probably right).
Cheers...off to play with the pooches.

sue3pets August 8th, 2011 08:46 PM

photos

Which forum do I post photos of my kids? I will do it soon.
Thanks,
Sue

marko August 9th, 2011 07:25 AM

[QUOTE=renegaderuby;1020116]Yes...the remember me seems to be helping. Thanks. As to the pictures...I've tried reducing them. tried just doing ONE on there for now...everything. I dont know. I've had this problem lately. I'll get my computer guru brother in law over here one day and tell him to "fix it". LOL.
In the meantime...Just take my word. THEY ARE ALL ADORABLE.
We lost the crabs. I forgot to mention that. They apparently didnt do well in my simulated inviorment..and were getting awful sick and dropping like flies. so ..they were put out of thier misery and now we just have the dogs, the outside kittys and the beta. but that is still a housefull. Oh..and all the dogs are INSIDE dogs. so...imagine FIVE small to medium dogs having run of the house at all times. LOL..it is CHAOS to the FIFTH degree. But I wouldnt have it any other way. they go out to potty, run around the yard for an hour ..and back in they are to "entertain" me. thou..they think its the other way around. (they are probably right).
Cheers...off to play with the pooches.[/QUOTE]

To post the pics we are dying to see :D each pic needs to be less than 100K and you can still get GREAT web quality at 100K. You can use a free program called irfanview to do this and here's a post describing how to do it. [url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24118[/url]
Of course most other graphic programs can also do this but Irfanview is very easy for newbies. If you have trouble you can just email me a few pics and I'll take care of it for you.

[QUOTE=sue3pets;1020163]Which forum do I post photos of my kids? I will do it soon.
Thanks,
Sue[/QUOTE]

Hi sue - I see you are new so no problem but you are asking a new question in someone else's thread. Please post new questions by clicking the [IMG]http://www.pets.ca/forum/images/buttons/newthread.gif[/IMG] icon in the appropriate forum. To answer your question though - Photos are usually located in the photography forum [url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15[/url]

Please feel free to post questions on how to do stuff in their own threads and we will answer asap.

(no need to reply to this post sue - as it is still in someone else's thread :) )

Thx! marko

renegaderuby August 9th, 2011 02:49 PM

Thanks mark

Your awesome! (but then, you probably already know that right ) . I've tried uploading pictures on every photosite avalible. It just goes eray when it's uploading. So..I think I'll take you up on the email you the pictures. (THAT will still work fortunatly). Just tell me how to email you...and I"ll do that. I have MOST of my animals pics. Some we havent gotten onto the computer yet. LOL

Dee-O-Gee August 14th, 2011 10:07 PM

Welcome to the board renegaderuby. :thumbs up

Were you able to resolve your picture posting issues? :shrug:

Sure sounds like you have quite the clan. Love the fact that you have issue and chapter day-by-day not to mention a chattering Ruby, loving Saydee, Jingle Bell Ball Toby and best yet, a foot messager! :thumbs up

Hope you can resolve the picture issue soon cause everyone here knows, we love pictures! :crazy:

pattymac August 15th, 2011 10:40 AM

Hey RR, you'll sure fit in here!! I have 4 cats and one dog..poor puppers..she's just a bit outnumbered!! I'm surprised she hasn't learned how to purr!!

About pics, ya I feel your pain!! I just moved back to civilization and it's sooo nice to be able to watch videos without having to wait for them to download. I had the same problems with uploading pics too I could only do one or two and then it would just sit there spinnng it's wheels so to speak, so I'd get po'd and cancel it.

You've got quite the mixture there!! Love it!!

renegaderuby August 17th, 2011 08:55 PM

Oh yes. Very much have quite the clan. I know your not suppose to have favorites, but ruby is my fav. She and I are just bonded. this poor dog has a bad back (thank you dach genes)..and she will lay on the cold hard kitchen floor, as I'm on the computer. I try to get her to stay on her nice cooshy bed. NOPE.
So now I drag her bed in the kitchen, or fold up a blanket, or SOMETHING she can lay on.
She is only content being with me. She'll lay with daddy, or kiddo when I'm not availible. But if there is a "choice" ..its me.
Colby is a daddys boy. even though TECHNICALLY daddy didnt really want him. But he loves him. He will snuggle with anyone. But if daddy leaves the room...he's going with him.
Toby dosent care . He's more content being on the floor (wiht his ball) or whatever. Every once in a while he'll come up for a cuddle. But he's happiest shredding a toy, or chasing the ball you throw nine hundred times.
Saydee...is not a cuddler AT ALL. she is on the go all the time, or she is sacked out asleep where she falls. very sweet, but she's just WIRED.
Prissy is a sweet and sassy old fart. she likes to be held and cuddled, but she will also be content to be on the floor sqeeking a toy. she wont shred it or destroy it. Just sqeak squeak, squeak. if you take it away she goes to the toy box and grabs another squeaky one and this process goes until they are all put up. then she sits there and barks and whines until you give one back and its squeak squeak squeak. its too funny. Its like she is going "i feel the need, the need for squeak".
lol

they keep things interesting. I'll say that much.
Right now toby's in the back yard chasing a frog that happened to get in the back yard. he dosent hurt it...just chases it, puts his mouth on it, then lets it go...and it starts all over. Goofy dog.
Toby is the one that is afraid of the vacume cleaner, will pee all over himself if you turn it on while he is in the room. But will chase a snake across the back yard :)

Cerena August 21st, 2011 05:12 PM

Hey Ruby,

Loved to read your story :) I'm a bit of a spoiler, so I usually like to have one animal at a time and just spoil the heck out of them! But, I've always told my boyfriend in the future I'd like 3 dogs. Ha, he thinks I'm kidding around but the joke might just be on him!

You found the perfect place to be. All pet lovers here!