Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bush signs Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31889)

lezzpezz October 19th, 2006 03:16 PM

Bush signs Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act

Just read that President Bush signed the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act (PETS) which requires state and local agencies to include provisions for people with pets or service animals to safely evacuate with their animals in the event of a disaster.

HOORAY!!:thumbs up

The PETS Act was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by Representatives Tom Lantos (D-Calif.) and Chris Shays (R-Conn.), and in the U.S. Senate by Senators Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) and Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.). It was approved unanimously by the Senate on August 4 and by the House of Representatives on September 20.

About the PETS Act:

Requires local and state emergency preparedness authorities that receive FEMA funding to include provisions for pets and service animals in their disaster plans
Grants FEMA the authority to assist states and local communities in developing such plans
Authorizes federal funds to help create pet-friendly emergency shelters
Allows FEMA to provide assistance for individuals with pets and service animals, and the animals themselves, following a major disaster.

:grouphug: :dog: :grouphug: :cat: :grouphug:

Prin October 19th, 2006 04:03 PM

Yey!!! WOOOO!!

[QUOTE]Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act (PETS)[/QUOTE]
Shouldn't that be Peatsa? (Why I'm hungry all of a sudden? :D)

hazelrunpack October 19th, 2006 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=Prin]Yey!!! WOOOO!!

Shouldn't that be Peatsa? (Why I'm hungry all of a sudden? :D)[/QUOTE]

LOL Me too!

wdawson October 19th, 2006 06:04 PM

wow.....bush has a hint of humanity....:rolleyes:

jesse's mommy October 21st, 2006 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=wdawson]wow.....bush has a hint of humanity....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Who would have thought?

Frenchy October 21st, 2006 09:10 PM

Too little too late.

LM1313 October 22nd, 2006 11:05 PM

Oh my God, he did something useful? *falls over from surprise*

Mind you, FEMA is so incompetant that . . . well, yes. Still, better than nothing, I suppose.

rainbow October 23rd, 2006 07:37 PM

[img]http://bestsmileys.com/surprised/1.gif[/img] [SIZE="4"][B]WOW !!![/B][/SIZE]

[B]I'm totally amazed.....that's got to be about the only good thing that twit has done.[/B]

Angies Man October 26th, 2006 11:44 AM

Now if they would only make provisions for evacuating [I]people[/I] from disaster sites.

twodogsandacat October 26th, 2006 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=Angies Man;305597]Now if they would only make provisions for evacuating [I]people[/I] from disaster sites.[/QUOTE]

Funny. This is great news. I've been wearing my "Not Without My Dog" T-Shirt since it passed the House of Representatives in September.

Still I'm a little worried. They may now be included in the evacuation plan but we all know how badly those plans can go. Still nobody will be told by a gun toting soldier again that 'the dog stays'.

BTW: Those same soldiers broke the rules when nobody was watching and many a dog ate a MRE. This was a major screw up way higher up. The military was awesome.

Prin October 27th, 2006 01:39 AM

What's an MRE?:o

twodogsandacat October 27th, 2006 06:58 AM

[QUOTE=Prin;306042]What's an MRE?:o[/QUOTE]

meal ready to eat. The army was handing them out. They are a complete meal - freeze dried.

hazelrunpack October 27th, 2006 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=twodogsandacat;305999]
Still I'm a little worried. They may now be included in the evacuation plan but we all know how badly those plans can go. [/QUOTE]

Yeah...you can have the best plan in the world, but if people don't want to evacuate, how do you convince them. I always worry about the stubborn ones' animals. If the people don't go, their pets don't, either...

If we ever had even an [I]inkling[/I] of an emergency (and around here it would likely be a forest fire) we have routes planned (depending on which way the wind is blowing) and contingency plans. I'm not endangering my Puppies by sticking around trying to save inanimate property! We'd be outta here so fast...

Prin October 27th, 2006 04:09 PM

Thanks twodogs.:)

Hazel, me too. If I heard a huge hurricane was coming toward me, I'd pack up the car and drive and drive and drive until we were far enough away to not even see rain. You can live ok without stuff but to live without the ones you love would be horrible.:shrug:

twodogsandacat October 28th, 2006 12:42 AM

[QUOTE=Prin;306264]You can live ok without stuff but to live without the ones you love would be horrible.:shrug:[/QUOTE]

Having the privilege of watching families reclaim their pets that message really came across. Even more so when looking into the faces of the kids. It was as if you had just given their world back to them.

Still even if you leave with your pets you may not have anything to take them home to as you struggle to rebuild you life. I don’t know if I posted this here before but one image really sticks in my head. Standing in front of two side by side cages looking at his pit bulls was a man in his fifties. He was the toughest looking man I had ever seen in my life. He was hard and the back of his neck looked like leather but I swear I saw a tear run down from behind his sunglasses as he knelt to whisper to his dogs. Then I saw his baseball hat. On it was the MIA\POW symbol. This was a man still not at peace with leaving men behind in Vietnam. I felt a tear run down my face as he now stood over his beloved dogs and promised them that he would take them home soon. I really hope that after all he had been through that he got to do that.