Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Vet frustrations (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13329)

Eleni March 22nd, 2005 09:03 AM

Vet frustrations

sammy has dirreah yesturday and this morning,

so I got worried and called the vet, all I was told to do is withhold his morning meal and keep plenty of water available for him and give him a smaller evening meal of the food he was on before, it was changing his food that gave him the dirreah.

and to bring him in if he isnt improving by this afternoon.

they seemed totally unconcerned, maybe im just overly worried about the pup however im still tempted to bring him in anyway, im also very tempted to switch vets, this vet, nothing seems to concern him really, and i know dirreah in pups can be a bad thing, and its something to be concerned about.

on a good note housebreaking sammy is great, he would not go in his crate at all even with dirreah he whimpered and whined till he woke me up.

hes such a good pup

Eleni

lezzpezz March 22nd, 2005 09:30 AM

Sammy

Your vet gave you good basic advice by telling you to keep plenty of water on hand (more peeing, however!) and withholding food for a bit. If you suddenly changed the dogs' diet, diarrhea is a given. Is there any blood in the poop? Hopefully not. Is the dog still fairly active? That would be a good sign. Did your vet mention the use of any antidiarrheal meds? You are right to be concerned as little guys get sick fast and you should keep a very close eye on Sammy. If you are so worried, a second opinion from a new vet would not be out of the question. Follow your heart....if you do not like your current vet, do seek out a new one. You should be totally comfortable with the care your pet is recieving. It will cost you the initial exam fee, just to walk in the door, and I would take a poop sample with you so they can rule out some things. Did your vet analyze some of Sammy's poop? Let us know how you make out!

amber416 March 22nd, 2005 09:34 AM

I agree, if something doesn't feel right with your vet you should definitely look for a new one. Regardless of if the advice he just gave you was good or not, you need to be able to trust your vet, go with your instinct.

twinmommy March 22nd, 2005 10:44 PM

Yup. Your the mommy, you know best. Go with your gut, if you think you should switch--switch. It's always good to have two anyways for emergencies and second opinions.

Has he been de-wormed, your little angel?

Safyre March 22nd, 2005 11:13 PM

I agree with everyone else here, the vet gave good basica advice, keep an eye on him. and if you don't trust your vet, if you have agut feeling, find a new one. You gotta deal with someone that you trust.
What type of dog is Sammy anyways?

Prin March 23rd, 2005 12:01 AM

I agree too- If your vet ever doesn't feel right, find a new one. A good vet will try to understand your concern and explain things to you if s/he sees you are worried even if it's something routine.

For diarrhea-- if it's really from the food switch, you have to go back to a small portion of the old food and see if it gets digested properly and if it does than the next day you give only old food, and each subsequent day, you change a bit of old for a bit of new food. I think this is all explained in previous posts too...

Just for future reference:
For diarrhea OR vomiting, you let the doggy empty for 24 hours -- nothing but water, then the next meal is about 1/4 to 1/2 of the regular food portion then see if it goes through. If it does, you're ok, if not, go to the vet.
Diarrhea AND vomiting requires immediate vet attention.
Other people have other 'procedures' (like rice or pepto bismol) but this one is simplest and most effective, I think...

Eleni March 23rd, 2005 01:40 PM

yeah Sammy is feeling better

6 hours without food and going back to the old brand fixed his problem,

how hes back to himself

and im looking into another vet, not saying the one i ahve is bad, im jsut nto sure hes the vet I want for my dog

Eleni