Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself here - Say hello (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Help cat (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79425)

Carlie November 21st, 2011 03:06 PM

Help cat

Hello All,

I am searching for information about cat health. My cat Carlie is 9 years old, she recently had a problem with constipation. I took her to the vet, she received a enamia (poor thing) I now have her home, she seems to be much happier but she has not pooped or peeded today. Is this normal after all that she has been through or is there still a problem. I was give a diagnosis of pre diabetes.

Love4himies November 21st, 2011 03:56 PM

If she's had an enema she is probably pretty cleaned out.

What are you normally feeding her? Has she had a lot of problems in the past, or is this her first bout of constipation?

Carlie November 21st, 2011 04:14 PM

Thank you

I feed her wellness, she has never had constipation before.

sugarcatmom November 21st, 2011 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=Carlie;1029482]I feed her wellness, she has never had constipation before.[/QUOTE]

Canned or dry?

How did the vet come to the conclusion of "pre diabetes"? Do you have a copy of her blood work?

Dog Dancer November 21st, 2011 05:42 PM

Carlie welcome to the board and good luck with your kitty. If you can provide the information asked for the members here who are "cat" people will be of huge service to you. They are extremely knowledgeable (and extremely nice :D). Sorry I have nothing to offer help wise, but I have to agree if she just had an enema I wouldn't worry yet.

Carlie November 21st, 2011 06:19 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;1029485]Canned or dry?

How did the vet come to the conclusion of "pre diabetes"? Do you have a copy of her blood work?[/QUOTE]

I feed her wet food,
Urinalysis
Glucose and mild glucosuria along with fructosamine that is a bit high this is a hard one in that the fructoamine is just a bit high and could be due to high albumin as they are bound. advise check monitor alt/ggt could be due to cholangitis but also due to hemolysis CK is very high
glucose 10.3 albumin 37 alt 90 ggt 9 ck 17671 lipase 1 fructosamine 352

This is the exact information on the lab report

Jim Hall November 21st, 2011 06:36 PM

iwould give her 24 hours for any bowel movements any indication why she was constipated?

Carlie November 21st, 2011 07:27 PM

No idea

I do not know, they did not answer the question they were more interested in the diabetes

sugarcatmom November 21st, 2011 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=Carlie;1029497]I do not know, they did not answer the question they were more interested in the diabetes[/QUOTE]

Does she drink or pee more than normal? Has her appetite increased recently?

Any recurring stressful events in her life during the past couple weeks?

Carlie November 21st, 2011 08:04 PM

Holiday

I was away for three weeks, assorted people were taking care of her, they admitted to over feeding her. Her eating, peeing, drinking behaviour is the same.

sugarcatmom November 21st, 2011 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=Carlie;1029500]I was away for three weeks, assorted people were taking care of her, they admitted to over feeding her. Her eating, peeing, drinking behaviour is the same.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, any chance they forgot to fill her water bowl, or gave her too many treats? Were they feeding her canned or dry during that time? The reason I ask is that dehydration can raise the fructosamine value, and it can also result in constipation.

Carlie November 21st, 2011 08:38 PM

Too much kibble

She was fed too much dry food. They went through a medium size bag of dry food in about a week. I will have to contact them to see how much they fed her. I am assuming they would supply plenty of water being that they all are cat owners.

sugarcatmom November 21st, 2011 10:13 PM

I would suspect the dry food is a big part of the problem here on all counts. If you stick with the Wellness canned food and no dry, her ever so slight hyperglycemia should resolve, as well as the constipation. If you do go away again, is it possible to have someone feed her wet food only?

Carlie November 21st, 2011 10:39 PM

Supercatmom

Thank you Supercatmom you have been so helpful.

Carlie November 23rd, 2011 02:24 PM

We have poop

Thank you everyone for your help. Yesterday morning she pooped 6 times, I am so happy now.:grouphug:

Carliemum

sugarcatmom November 23rd, 2011 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=Carlie;1029629]Yesterday morning she pooped 6 times, I am so happy now.:grouphug:
[/QUOTE]

:eek: Wowza!!! She must have felt so good after. And much lighter! Did she get the poo-zoomies like my cats do after they drop a bomb?

(you know what would be handy here? a smiley celebrating a good poop!)

sugarcatmom November 23rd, 2011 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;1029635]
(you know what would be handy here? a smiley celebrating a good poop!)[/QUOTE]

[img]http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sbathroom_stall_100-1012.gif[/img]

Carlie November 23rd, 2011 08:35 PM

good news poop

Her little tail was down, she must have been a bit sore after the enama and all. She is back to her old self now, she is very talkative. I give her one small piece of kibble in the evening. She is so cute.

Her only problem is a sore leg, were i assume they had the iV