Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jasmine is pregnant - help (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64034)

Mattedwardsuk July 11th, 2009 07:39 PM

Jasmine is pregnant - help

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

This is my first post and I found this site by chance thanks to google. I have three cats, one is a pedigree siamese (Holly) 3, one an average tom (Pip)4 and the most recent addition to the family is Jasmine, a Bengal 1 1/2. We live with my 3 kids in Burton On Trent in England.

Holly and Pip were both spayed after we bought them however Jasmine wasn't. I'd had her off a friend at work who'd told me that she'd been bred specifically for an owner who then pulled out having seen her Bengal behaviour (she is a bit wild at times). Since they're all house cats I'd thought we'd be fine.

WRONG

One night about 8 weeks ago she escaped when a friend opened a window downstairs. She wouldn't come in and started calling, literally within 5 minutes a huge ginger tom whom I'd never seen before chased her under our car on the drive.

I spent about 30 minutes trying to get her to come back but torrential rain mean't I had to give up. From the sounds eminating from the car both my wife and I knew exactly what was going on.

In all truth we didn't think she'd fall preganant so easily, how dumb. She is now very clearly pregnant. She is not as crazy as normaly,is less chatty and very swollen looking. I still give her lots of fuss and can see the babies moving around and kicking. Last week her nipples became huge and i thought the births were imminent. I wondered if anyone could give me any help with signs of an imminent birth?

I have a nice big box ready for her and have placed a nice blanket on it. She is still eating lots and shows no signs of being off her food.

Any advice would be massively appreciated. She is a gorgous cat and very loving and I want to ensure we do things right by her! This picture is about 6 months old.

Love4himies July 11th, 2009 08:37 PM

She is beautiful :lovestruck:

I really think you should be talking to your vet, including prep and to arrange to have one on call when she goes into labour, etc.

I hope once the kittens have been weaned, you will get her spayed, it is the only way to prevent this "accident" from happening again.

Good luck.

14+kitties July 11th, 2009 09:35 PM

[url]http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth/a/pregnancybirth.htm[/url]

Then when it is all over and kittens are weaned get her fixed.

Mattedwardsuk July 12th, 2009 03:59 AM

Thanks

Thank you for the link. it was very useful. Obe the kittne have been weaned she will be spayed, no questions.

Love4himies July 12th, 2009 09:03 AM

Glad to hear you will be getting her spayed.

Keep us posted on her progression and we would love to see more pics and pics of her babies when they are born. :lovestruck:

lUvMyLaB<3 July 12th, 2009 06:47 PM

When a female is in heat, even if they are inside they will be calling and calling and wiggling their bum, that is calling a male, so you can be sure a stray male will be near by after hearing that, and a female in heat will do anything to get to a male, so you are never safe.. Please tell all your friends what happened so they can learn too.

It is about 60 days from the day she escaped, usually it is in the last 2-4 weeks that you can feel them moving, you can also tell by looking under her tail, that will start changing.

Good luck, please call around and make sure there is a vet that you can call, call the vet as soon as labours starts so they have the heads up and can givbe advice, during the birth, call them if there is anything you are not sure about. Good luck with the babies!

Mattedwardsuk July 15th, 2009 03:04 AM

Kitten movement

Thanks for the continued advice. There is defiantly kitten movement and has been for a week. Rough guesstimates put her at about 48-50 days. She's always been pretty slender and the bump is now fairly noticeable. She is alot more loving, talking to me more and is lying down and sleeping lots.