Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog books - cat books - pet books (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Marley & Me by John Grogan (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46488)

JanM November 11th, 2007 06:31 PM

Marley & Me by John Grogan

Anybody read this one? It's a neat story about a family and their dog - a big, goofy lab - they claim he's neurotic. The story is just about the family and their exploits with the dog and his behaviour. There's nothing sensational in the book at all - it's just a good story to read. Some of the dog's exploits are hilarious - others are pretty sad. All in all, if you are looking for a good dog-related story, I recommend this book.

Yesterday we were on a dog walk and a yellow lab flew past us - through the bushes - it was having a blast! I asked the owners if they had read the book Marley and Me - they had and we all had a good laugh about their dog's antics compared to Marley's...

Frenchy November 11th, 2007 06:36 PM

I heard a lot of good things about this book. Last time I tried to read one (the fourth Harry Potter) I stopped after an hour , too many dogs here , they don't like to see me read :p so I just gave up. :shrug:

otter November 11th, 2007 06:45 PM

Seems the cats here have a thing against any kind of reading... i'd be afraid what they might do if I read a book about a dog :evil:

Alas, i've heard lots of good things about this book too, i'm just afraid some of it might be a little too hard to read since we all know how it ends :sad:

JanM November 11th, 2007 06:58 PM

Ah, yes - the ending .... are u sure you know how it ends??? Yes, Marley ages and passes but... yes - there's more and I won't say what it is!

Shadow (my cat) has a thing about me reading too - it doesn't matter what book it is - if he can get between me and the light - he will; if he can get on the book - even better! if he can't do either of those, he will rub against the book so much that I just can't read it or - he will start to chew the pages!

Winston November 11th, 2007 07:31 PM

I read the book awhile ago and loved it!

Cindy

Byrd November 11th, 2007 07:34 PM

I've heard good things about it too, I'll have to check it out. I'm a book freak!

Byrd November 11th, 2007 07:41 PM

I found one for Hazel: [url]http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Gracie-Dogs-Dan-Dye/dp/0761129758/ref=pd_bbs_8/104-2182387-6388738?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194827907&sr=8-8[/url]

JanM November 11th, 2007 08:09 PM

I just had a peek at Amazing Gracie - looks good! I'll have to see if I can get to read it soon.. (even though I'm not Hazel :D)

joeysmama November 11th, 2007 08:22 PM

I loved Marley and Me. I had read it a while back and then we read it for our book club too.

My husband just heard about another one called Saving Sprite about a rescue dog. He heard the author on the radio and he really wants the book now. I think I may get it for him for Christmas.

Winston November 11th, 2007 08:35 PM

I just rented mine from the local public library...

Cindy

Ford Girl November 12th, 2007 05:10 PM

Funny this thread just started, I am half way thru it right now, so far, so good, it cracks me up!! He's one large crazy lab!! Makes Dazy look like an angel!

Zloca19 May 14th, 2008 10:45 PM

read this and loved it... yes some parts were sad, but it was in a "its fitting" way as opposed to "heart breaking"... for which i'm greatful, because god knows he could have made it a heartbreaking sob fest towards the end very easily!

BeagleMum May 15th, 2008 06:20 AM

This is my favourite book ever, read it twice and cried both times. I recommend it, I loved the story.

JanM May 15th, 2008 01:53 PM

Rumour has it that this book is being made into a movie - I'll sure be watching for it!

TKW May 15th, 2008 03:07 PM

Marley & Me

It first caught my attention when it was published because our lab was then a puppy just like the cover pic right down to the red harness. I was told it was a good read and loaned it from the public library. Big mistake for a slow reader. I was staying up the night to read the last chapter when the book was due. It was hard to read through watery eyes. (No, I am not crying, I'm a male homo sapien speices. Just allergies, LOL)

It now comes out with paperback on sale at Costco. I picked up one from DW's mother's day present. DW was not a dog person. She claims she just baby(dog)-sits, cooks goodies & wrestles with the dog once in a while when I am too busy to exercise the dog. The dog knows to butter her up by giving lots of hugs & kisses and wakes her every morning before waking me. You see, he knows the routine breakfast before walks. And who the boss is in the house.:D

BeagleMum May 15th, 2008 03:16 PM

It is being made into a movie, I can't wait for it, it should be funny!!

MyBirdIsEvil May 16th, 2008 09:02 AM

Í bought this book awhile back and it's one of my favorites, though yes it is quite heart wrenching in parts. In fact I think it almost made my husband cry, and he's not the type that has any emotional reaction to books or movies. It's not a bad thing though, the book just really gets you involved with how the family is feeling :).