Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Cokatiel Beak problem (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=29387)

Jffaille August 6th, 2006 09:11 AM

Cokatiel Beak problem

I there, I have an 8 year old yellow cokatiel and for the past 3 months his beak has been growing like crazy, I have trimmed it with clippers twice and it has grown again by about 4mm in the last 3 weeks. Other than that he appear fine but why is his beak suddently growing like crazy. He has toys and a cuttle bone in his cage and eats well. What can cause this and is there a remedy?

jesse's mommy August 6th, 2006 10:51 AM

What do you have in his cage for his beak? I used to have a cockatiel and we had various things in the cage specific for him to rub his beak on. It's been about ten years so I can't remember exactly what we had, but it was definitely for his beak. He would actually rub his beak against it which would naturally keep it where it should be. We never trimmed his beak and honestly have never heard of doing that. Have you looked around pet stores for anything like that?

Jffaille August 6th, 2006 01:20 PM

Cockatiel Beak problem

I always had a cuttle bone in the cage, and his beak nevr grew like this, i don't know why it started growing like that. I have read on some web sites that some birds need to have their beak trimmed, but why the change in growth?

Kerri N Lynch August 7th, 2006 08:09 AM

I have two Tiels and one is 11 years old and never has had to have his beak trimmed nor has my 2 year old , may be time to seek advice from your Avian Vet . What is your birds diet we feed pellets mixed with some seed and lots of fresh fruit and veggies.

meggie1425 August 8th, 2006 08:13 PM

Ive never had a problem like that with my 2 cockatiels so all i can really recommend is texured perches (theyre kinda like a cement type of material) that they can use and they also help trim the nails a prevent arthritus... You could also lookup an Avian Vet in your area... I would be extremely careful when trimming the beak and it might be better left to the professionals? Good luck:thumbs up

heidiho August 8th, 2006 08:45 PM

How about posting a picture,curious about this:cool:

Lise August 14th, 2006 07:09 AM

Sometimes a birds beak will overgrow if the top and bottom do not meet properly.They wear against eachother as well as hard surfaces.If you trimmed the beak yourself you might have aggravated the problem and caused the beak to wear even less.If you use textured perches give other non textured or the birds can end up with feet problems too(imagine standing on a gravel road in your barefeet)If you need good avian vets I can recommend two in Mtl area.I've used boh for my guys and they're really good.It would be worth it to have a check because there are also some diseases and diet problems that can cause this problem.

jiorji August 14th, 2006 01:08 PM

i think it's best for a vet to trim the beak, unless that's what's going on already.

I had no idea a bird's beak can grow like that, like rodent teeth that need to be grinded down hehe