Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Sick Cat ?? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21090)

amb063081 November 8th, 2005 02:00 PM

Sick Cat ??

I have a question about my cat, she is 2 years old and lately I've been noticing that her right eye has been pussing a little bit and it's hardening in the corner of her eye. When I clean away the crust the puss looks like it's a greenish/yellowish color. Her other eye looks fine, also it looks like she squints that eye more and kind of keeps it closed part of the way. She also sounds kind of nasaly like she might be congested. She's also been sneezing. Should I take her to the vet or is there anything over the counter I can try. My boyfriend doesn't want me to waist the money on the vet but if she is sick I don't want her to suffer. She's been eating fine and I play with her when I come home from work but it's not for long becuase she either seems to get bored or she's tired because she curls up on the couch. She's also been meowing a lot more. Any suggestions?

jesse's mommy November 8th, 2005 02:28 PM

I think a trip to the vet is the best idea. Pus is definitely a sign of infection. If she is sneezing and nasily, then she could have a cold and possibly have a respitory infection. I would definitely take your cat to the vet. You really don't want to chance over the counter medications when you really don't know what is going on.

PetFriendly November 8th, 2005 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=amb063081] My boyfriend doesn't want me to waist the money on the vet but if she is sick I don't want her to suffer. [/QUOTE]

Does your boyfriend want to have to put up with a sad girlfriend because her cat passed away because he didn't want to 'waste' money? That sounds harsh, but so does 'just let the cat suffer...' so try putting it to him that way.

Its probably a cold, and the meds for that at the vet's aren't really that expensive (Last time one of ours had a cold it was $50 for the visit and $30 or so for the meds.)

CyberKitten November 8th, 2005 05:12 PM

Your kitty belongs toyou, not your bf - please take her to the vet!! She is sick and needs help.

cindyann November 8th, 2005 06:19 PM

If this was your boyfriends eye how long would it take him to get to his doctor?Your cat can't take herself only you can. Sounds like a URI

Lucky Rescue November 8th, 2005 06:29 PM

[QUOTE]If this was your boyfriends eye how long would it take him to get to his doctor?[/QUOTE]

My guess is "not long"! Could be a waste of money, but I bet that wouldn't stop him.;)

Your cat may have rhinotracheitis or an eye problem. In either case, green dishcharge is usually associated with infection, so your cat needs a vet.

Since when is easing suffering a "waste of money"?

jawert1 November 8th, 2005 07:20 PM

Please take your kitty to the vet, if money is an issue, most vets will work out payment plans. Keep us posted on how things go with the vet :) Oh and good luck with the bf too :)