Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sniffling and runny nose. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10412)

Sadie's Mom December 15th, 2004 01:12 PM

Sniffling and runny nose.

For the last couple of days my 6 month old puppy has been sniffling constantly. It almost sounds like she's clearing her nose, like a human with a runny nose or congestion would. I've also noticed that her nose has been a little bit runny. Last night she was sniffling very strongly for a few minutes, almost like she couldn't catch her breath. Besides all that, she has been behaving completely normally.

She has all her vaccinations, including parvo, to date. She was spayed on Thursday. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? Should I take her to the vet?

GsdDiamond December 15th, 2004 01:29 PM

To me, a non-Vet, I would venture a guess to say that she has congestion in the chest that's causing her to not be able to breath properly... thus her looking like she's trying to catch her breath.

She probably has a bad cold. I would bring her to a Vet for a certain diagnosis and possibly antibiotics.

Good luck!!! Keep us posted.

maddoxies December 15th, 2004 01:37 PM

Kennel cough

Kennel cough could be another possibility, especially if she was spayed recently, may have met someone contageous at the clinic. Definately needs to be checked out, although they only medicate really bad KC (been there, done that, wiped the industrial dog snot off the walls :sick: )

GsdDiamond December 15th, 2004 01:45 PM

Is Sadie coughing?

Sadie's Mom December 15th, 2004 02:26 PM

I vaccinated her against kennel cough too, thank God! She's not coughing, more sneezing a little, but not even. It's really just sniffling. I started to notice it yesterday. I guess if it's still going on tommorow, I'll call the vet or take her in. She's her regular playful crazy self, so I'm trying not to worry too much.

Karin December 15th, 2004 04:19 PM

Could be reverse sneezing, but I would still have her checked out.

How long ago did she have her b-vax and was it im injectable or intranasal?

Sometimes the intranasal vax can cause a little sinus upset.

Sadie's Mom December 15th, 2004 08:07 PM

Ok, I called the vet! :p I'm SUCH a nervous mommy, everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I just hate seeing my baby sick :sick:.

Anyways, my vet said that Sadie probably has a small upper respiratory tract infection, probably caused by the stress on her body from her surgery. She said it's nothing to worry about as long as Sadie continues to eat and drink normally. If she keeps sniffling after a week, the vet said to bring her in so she could have a look.

I feel MUCH better now! I LOVE my vet so much. :love: :love:

BMDLuver December 15th, 2004 08:25 PM

Hope Sadie feels better

Hope Sadie feels better. It's always difficult when your pet is even the slightes bit sick. It's good you worry as so many people don't.

As for this,
[QUOTE=goldengirl]Kennel cough could be another possibility, especially if she was spayed recently, may have met someone contageous at the clinic. Definately needs to be checked out, although they only medicate really bad KC (been there, done that, wiped the industrial dog snot off the walls :sick: )[/QUOTE]
I am still laughing about it as I can see just what your room looked like!

GsdDiamond December 15th, 2004 08:35 PM

I'm so glad it's not something terribly difficult! Your little Sadie will be back up to snuff in no time!!

TalonsMa December 16th, 2004 06:34 PM

Is she feeling better?? :)