Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet photography - Pet pictures (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   For Those Who Didn't Know We Were Expecting A Baby... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77246)

luckypenny June 2nd, 2011 11:24 AM

For Those Who Didn't Know We Were Expecting A Baby...

1 Attachment(s)
...actually, 4 babies :D. I'm so excited :goodvibes:.

[ATTACH]74181[/ATTACH]

Love4himies June 2nd, 2011 11:53 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Congrats :stork-baby::stork-baby::stork-baby::stork-baby:

hazelrunpack June 2nd, 2011 11:58 AM

Awwwwww :flirt:

Robins? We have a nest that looks very similar in the sideyard, only the babies are a wee little bit younger. :cloud9:

I love the little guy on the right--the one with the beak pointing straight up? Looks like it's sleeping on its back. :lovestruck: I hope it's having sweet dreams! Of worms...and stuff like that :p :D

Melinda June 2nd, 2011 03:35 PM

man, I didn't even get my shower invitation!!! ours just left the nest 3 days ago and are evrywhere in the yard.

chico2 June 2nd, 2011 03:52 PM

Awww how sweet,spring is filled with wonder and babies,hopefully they'll all make it,not be too eager to leave the nest.:pray:

TeriM June 2nd, 2011 07:23 PM

:laughing:

Congrats on the new additions :stork-baby::stork-baby::stork-baby::stork-baby:.

mikischo June 2nd, 2011 09:20 PM

Awe, such cute little babies you have!:lovestruck:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Congratulations! :stork-baby::stork-baby::stork-baby::stork-baby:

Dee-O-Gee June 2nd, 2011 09:50 PM

Congratulations LP! Is DH handing out cigars?! :laughing: :laughing:

They look like they're in a nice comfy spot and human mom should keep human friends updated with pictures you know. :D

luckypenny June 2nd, 2011 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1012269]Robins?[/QUOTE]

Yep :lovestruck:.

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1012269]We have a nest that looks very similar in the sideyard, only the babies are a wee little bit younger. :cloud9:[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't be one of the dogs' yards :eek:?

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1012269]I love the little guy on the right--the one with the beak pointing straight up? Looks like it's sleeping on its back. :lovestruck: I hope it's having sweet dreams! Of worms...and stuff like that :p :D[/QUOTE]

Cute :D. The one of the far left is the one that really got my attention...looks like a complaining little bugger :D.

[QUOTE=Melinda;1012302]man, I didn't even get my shower invitation!!! ours just left the nest 3 days ago and are evrywhere in the yard.[/QUOTE]

Oh, how long before they are able to fly really well?

[QUOTE=chico2;1012307]Awww how sweet,spring is filled with wonder and babies,hopefully they'll all make it,not be too eager to leave the nest.:pray:[/QUOTE]

I hope so too, Chico. And when they do start to fly, I hope they don't hang out much, or for too long, in the backyard like Melinda's do :o.

[QUOTE=klmccallum;1012341]Congratulations LP! Is DH handing out cigars?! :laughing: :laughing:[/QUOTE]

No, he's too busy complaining that we have to start taking the dogs out on leashes for a little while :rolleyes:.

Anyone know if baby Robbins try to fly at night? Or do they sleep? We trying to figure out the best way to keep them safe from the dogs but, at the same time we'd like for the dogs to get a good run off-leash in the yard too...I was thinking after it gets dark :shrug:?

cpietra16 June 3rd, 2011 06:10 AM

...my first reaction...."really???holy cow????"...until I saw the pictures. I was actually expecting to see a belly bump:D

Well congrats to all of you. Are they male/female????or have you decided to follow in the footsteps of that Ontario Lady who has decided to keep the sex of their newborn a secret until "he/she" decides what he is????:rolleyes:

so lets now talk about resemblence????:D:laughing: you? hubby?

hazelrunpack June 3rd, 2011 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=luckypenny;1012351]
That wouldn't be one of the dogs' yards :eek:? [/QUOTE]

They're [I]all[/I] dog yards. :p Luckily, we have two others to keep them in till the babies fledge--and with any kind of luck, they'll fledge to the north or east, out of the other yards :thumbs up :fingerscr

[QUOTE=luckypenny;1012351]Oh, how long before they are able to fly really well? [/QUOTE]

Once they fledge it should only take 3-5 days max before they're pretty proficient at it.

[QUOTE=luckypenny;1012351]Anyone know if baby Robbins try to fly at night? Or do they sleep? We trying to figure out the best way to keep them safe from the dogs but, at the same time we'd like for the dogs to get a good run off-leash in the yard too...I was thinking after it gets dark :shrug:?[/QUOTE]

Most songbirds don't see well in the dark so although many migrate nocturnally, most will not fly willingly at night during the nesting season. Running the dogs in the yard after full dark would be okay if the nest is high enough and you don't think the parent would be scared off the babies. Once the babies fledge they'll be in unpredictable places in the yard for a few days, including low in bushes and trees. So running the dogs even after dark wouldn't be a good idea right after they leave the nest. Once you stop seeing fledglings being fed or hopping around in the yard during the day, though, it's likely safe to give the dogs free access again. Shouldn't take more than a few days for them to get strong enough, skilled enough and savvy enough to avoid the dogs and stay out of reach.

Melinda June 3rd, 2011 08:23 AM

once they leave the nest they are flying (clumsily) within 2 days, then within a week they can fly well enough to escape animals. We are surrounded by fields and thats why they stick around here longer.

marko June 3rd, 2011 10:31 AM

So cute - course NOW you know we will need you to continue documenting. :)

chico2 June 3rd, 2011 04:09 PM

I saw a mom and dad Robin today,with 2 young ones,luckily they were already able to fly:thumbs up

luckypenny June 3rd, 2011 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=cpietra16;1012400]...my first reaction...."really???holy cow????"...until I saw the pictures. I was actually expecting to see a belly bump:D[/QUOTE]

Oh I can still show you a few of those, stretch marks and all :laughing:.

[QUOTE=cpietra16;1012400]Well congrats to all of you. Are they male/female????or have you decided to follow in the footsteps of that Ontario Lady who has decided to keep the sex of their newborn a secret until "he/she" decides what he is????:rolleyes:

so lets now talk about resemblence????:D:laughing: you? hubby?[/QUOTE]

:laughing: :laughing: You crack me up, cpietra :D.

[B]Hazel[/B], [B]Melinda[/B], thank you for the info!

[QUOTE=marko;1012422]So cute - course NOW you know we will need you to continue documenting. :)[/QUOTE]

I'll do my best. The pic above was taken two days ago. This one was taken this afternoon :eek:. They grow so quick in just two days?? They also started flying today. Lucky was the first to notice :rolleyes:. One of the babies was startled when Lucky let out a quick bark and flew over to the other side of the fence. One of the adult Robins flew to the baby while the other stayed close by the nest. He/she made it back (what a tubby little bugger :lovestruck:) and they're all settled for the night :cloud9:.

[ATTACH]74225[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack June 4th, 2011 08:05 AM

Yep, next few days are going to be entertaingin, but nerve-wracking.... They probably won't be in the nest any more after today--they're so big!!! :flirt:

14+kitties June 4th, 2011 01:54 PM

Lots of baby pics today!! We have swallows for the fourth year with a nest in the garage. I get divebombed when I go to leave food for the stray kitty. Pretty neat. :thumbs up
Nice pics LP!