Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sick cat, Please advise (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4265)

Belkys78 May 9th, 2004 09:20 PM

Sick cat, Please advise

Heres my story:
My 6 yr old male cat, George, is ill. On tuesday after coming home from work i was told he was not able to pee and was crying out. I took him to the hospital that night and the doctor told me he has a blocked bladder which was preventing him from urinating. She told me he needed immediate treatmen and would need to stay under observation for two day. The bill she gave me was way too high for my bugdet but she did put him under anesthesia and took out as much of the stones as she could. After i took hime home and was advises to take him to the vet as soon as i could. The next day i came home and found that George was urinating on himself and discharging a bit of tinged liquid from his private area. His bladder was not bloated as i have been checking everyday since. The next morning i took him to the vet and he gave him 4 shots, Clavamox, Vit C, Ampicillian, and another that sounds like Getamilin or Getamicin. He also gave me Clavamox to give him 2x a day. He said the discharge was normal and his temp was around 101. I told him he wasnt eating right but was peeing a small amount and did some excrement. Since then, 3 days ago. George is still just lying down and sleeping and eating very little. He pees when he can and it is still a little amount compared to what he normally did. I understand he may pee as much if he is not drinking alot of water but i wish he would eat more. He'll eat less than half a can of food a day, and this is only if i encourage him by placing food on his mouth to interest him. His discharge still occurs but not as much as before. His next appoiintment is on the 13th. Is all this normal after the treatment in the hospital. I miss my buddy and the way he was before and i am devasted to see him like this.
Please advise.

Lucky Rescue May 9th, 2004 10:07 PM

I'm not a vet, but I can tell you that if a male cat has a urinary blockage that is not treated and he is unable to urinate, he will get uremic poisoning and die.

This is an emergency and usually requires surgery. If you don't get the surgery he needs, you will have to have him euthanized and not let him suffer as he is suffering right now.

Those are your two options. Surgery, or death.

Just to emphasize - I'm sure you know how it feels to have a full bladder and not have a bathroom handy. Imagine how it would feel if you could NOT go at all.

chico2 May 9th, 2004 10:12 PM

Yes,it is very serious in male cats,I know from experience,having lost a 3yr old cat to the same.
So,please do whatever you can to get him treated,unfortunately you only have two choices,the longer you wait,the more painful it will be for your poor cat and it is very painful to him.

woodbyter May 10th, 2004 01:13 AM

Blocked urinary

If you cannot or will not spend the money for the surgery you need to end the animal's misery and put it down. This is a horrible way to let an animal die. It is one of the most painful deaths.
Please do what is right for the animal at once.
It appears you are in way over your head in this situation. Costs of surgery for animals can be rather expensive but that is part of the responsibility of ownership as is the responsibility to not let the animal suffer.
Woody