Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fostering tips (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87513)

marko January 18th, 2017 12:35 PM

Fostering tips

Hi everyone!

My wife Carmy and I are thinking about fostering cats (one at a time) in a few months. We have one cat Twiggy - Spayed who is ten. We are able to have a completely separate (small but adequate) space for the foster.

That's the intro :)

Given that; What are the first fostering tips that come to mind?

Many thx in advance! :cat: :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack January 18th, 2017 01:57 PM

We chose not to have JD vaccinated for FIV because he's not going to be exposed to other cats. We'll do it later when/if we decide to foster (which is under discussion now :D). Has Twiggy been vaccinated?

marko January 19th, 2017 11:41 AM

yes I believe so - but gonna pull out the old records now. Thx

Winston January 21st, 2017 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Marko so good to hear your thinking of fostering. You and Carmy will be great foster parents....you will have to make a very LARGE disclaimer on your agreements though....it will read something like this....

[COLOR="Red"]All foster felines must agree to monthly photo shoots where they hereby agree to full costume attire and hats are usually a must.....no exceptions to this :eek: agreement......:laughing::laughing:[/COLOR]

But what an awesome foster home they would have...

I think this would be a great setup depending on space. My vet clinic has this and its usually where the newbies go for awhile until they are sort of comfy and not scared....

Best of Luck
Cindy

lindapalm January 22nd, 2017 11:53 AM

This is my only tip

1. Be prepared to not want to give the foster cat/kitten back

marko January 23rd, 2017 10:04 AM

really appreciate these tips...and yup

[QUOTE]Be prepared to not want to give the foster cat/kitten back[/QUOTE]

so aware that this is a possibility.

Barkingdog January 23rd, 2017 10:40 AM

Yeah I agree about not wanting to give back foster kitties , I foster 2 kitties once and became :lovestruck: over them and wanted to keep them . Marko could you post some photos of your foster kitties pleases :cat: :cat:?

hazelrunpack January 23rd, 2017 01:02 PM

Will you be fostering kittens or older cats, Marko? Can't wait for pix! :D

Lynne&Co. January 23rd, 2017 08:16 PM

Good for you Marko!

Fostering is so rewarding and of course comes with the gift/risk of "failing":laughing:
I'm a "Foster Failure" :D and am very happy to be part of that club :D

As for introducing a new kitty, it depends on the personality of Twiggy. If she is dominant I would introduce them very carefully. Both should be confined in crates and placed within sight of each other for 10-15 minutes. If all goes well you can move them closer and closer until you are then able to release the most calm kitty. How they each react would dictate how quickly you can then progress. If either or both get aggressive they will need lots of time apart in their separate areas with regular and repeat introductions. Placing a blanket from Twiggy into the foster kitty's area and vice versa is also a good idea so they can smell each other in safety.

I'm a bit excessive when it comes to safety as a cat fight would be horrific to witness and almost impossible to breakup before an injury.
Looking forward to hearing all about your Foster kitty:cat: