Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Miniature Schnauzer (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2992)

goddess305 February 3rd, 2004 12:06 AM

Miniature Schnauzer

Hello. I'm looking to buy a black Miniature Schnauzer male from a reputable breeder. I'm having a hard time finding breeders of these dogs. Does anyone know of a good one? Also, does anyone actually own a Mini in the area of Montreal? I live downtown - across the street from McGill. If you have one, please feel free to e-mail me and share some of your experiences! Thank you in advance for the information!

Carina February 3rd, 2004 05:56 AM

I can't help you...but oddly enough I was at the pet store yesterday buying cat food, and someone was carrying the most adorable mini black Schnauzer puppy!!

Good luck in your search....some breeders ship puppies. A friend of mine here in Michigan just got a Dobe puppy from a very good breeder somewhere in Canada. And I was living in Denver when I got one of my Rotties from a breeder down in New Mexico. I followed his progress via email with her, and we met at a dog show when the litter was 8 weeks old. She brought them & the dam; & kept them in an x-pen in her motor home.
Just some thoughts.

Luba February 3rd, 2004 01:15 PM

try going on [url]www.petfinder.com[/url]

type in the breed info and do a search

better to rescue one IMHO then get from a breeder if you can

:D

good luck

have you had this breed before?

Lucky Rescue February 3rd, 2004 02:44 PM

Quite a few people near me have these dogs. If you live in an apartment, be aware that in general, they bark. A lot.:D

Schnauzer lover March 5th, 2004 04:11 PM

If you go to this page and scroll down to Quebec, you will find some good reputable mini breeders.

I have 2 minis, a black and salt and pepper. They are wonderful and I plan to get a third but it will be a rescue.

[url]http://www.dogsincanada/breeds/index_showcare.html[/url]

goddess305 March 5th, 2004 05:09 PM

Miniature Schanuzer

Thank you to all those who've written! I've had Giant Schanuzer's my entire life - so although I'm familiar with the breed overall, I'm not a pro with miniatures. I jsut feel that, although I would love to be able to afford another one, I think it would be easier on me, as a student, to have a smaller breed for now.

I'm trying not to ship the dog, as I've had some bad experiences in the past with dogs traveling by airplanes. (I feel it unjustly makes them more stressed.) So, I was trying to find some reputable breeders in the greater Montreal area.

About the barking, as far as I know, even a breed more inclined to bark can be trained to only give warning barks. And anyway, no one makes babies shut up when they cry, so I don't see dogs as a nuisance.

All the best! Please continue with the advice!

Lucky Rescue March 5th, 2004 05:37 PM

[QUOTE]About the barking, as far as I know, even a breed more inclined to bark can be trained to only give warning barks. [/QUOTE]

This is true, but if you live in close proximity to other people - like in an apartment - and if you are out at school or work, there is no way to stop a dog from barking.

Please consider this, as many dogs are dumped due to nuisance barking and complaints from neighbours.

[QUOTE]And anyway, no one makes babies shut up when they cry, so I don't see dogs as a nuisance.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, most people do not see dogs as being on par with babies, and WILL complain about them when they would not about human babies. YOU may not see the barking as a nuisance, but I can guarantee others will.

goddess305 March 5th, 2004 06:56 PM

miniature schnauzer

Although I have thought extensively through the question of noise, I don't see a viable alternative but to train my dog as best that I can.

The times that I will be out of the house - three to four hours during the day for class (as I don't work) - are the times that people are usually at work, themselves, so I don't believe there will be much conflict from that angle. In between, I am looking for companionship from my pet, so I will do my best to spend as much time as possible together which means going to pet-friendly places. I have found, after more than a decade with Giant Schnauzers, that pets that are socialized to other dogs, as well as people, have a tendency to be less "obnoxious" in their behaviour. I think the pets that are not trained well are troublesome only through fault of their owners.

Also, a pet-friendly building, which I spent considerable time searching for, is usually populated by other pet owners, and they have a tendency to be more understanding than others.

Urban living has forced people to live closer to each other than ever before, and some give-and-take must occur. Most younger adults, especially in the student-populated areas, are a lot more accepting of noise as they, themselves, have a tendency to make it.

Basically, those are my (selfish, at times) reasons for wanting a pet. At this point in my life, I cannot afford (nor want the responsibility of) a house and a yard for a pet. However, I do not believe that this means I will not be able to provide a wonderful home (apartment) for a pet.

Lucky Rescue March 5th, 2004 07:55 PM

[QUOTE]However, I do not believe that this means I will not be able to provide a wonderful home (apartment) for a pet.[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree! In fact, people in apartments are often great dog owners, as they are forced to go out walking their dogs often, as opposed to many people who dump in the backyard and forget about them.

Would you consider another breed? Some other breeds are less barky, and many larger breeds need considerably less exercise than lots of small and energetic breeds.

I am thinking specifically of whippets and greyhounds. :D