Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cat talk to itself - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35283)

PaigeDWinter January 14th, 2007 09:59 AM

Cat talk to itself - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone! My youngest cat seems to be talking to herself now. It started about a week ago. It sounds nothing like heat sounds either. She was an abandoned kitten that we found on our doorstep. I'd estimate her to be about 6 months old now. She isn't fixed yet. She will only talk to herself when she is in either the far hallway or the bathroom. She only does it in 4 specific places. Sitting on the laundry hamper, sitting at the mirror in the hall, sitting at the door to the spare room (No one lives in that room, tis only storage) or sitting by the tub in the bathroom. She also does not do this when the humans in the apartment are sleeping (I am an insanely light sleeper. Her purring wakes me, let alone meowing loudly). The meows are lacking any sort of major emotional markers. They don't sound urgent, angry, scared, pained, etc. They're really very neutral, if not light hearted. I just wonder if anyone has a cat that does this, and what it might mean, if anything at all? I shall include some pics in case someone would like to correct me on estimated age? She is the black and white one, and if the size difference is any help, the grey tabby is 4 years old and is about 11lbs.

jiorji January 14th, 2007 12:56 PM

hahahah the bathtub. My cat does that too. She goes there and meows at the vent. but ONLY in the morning between 10 and noon. :crazy:

Maya January 14th, 2007 03:58 PM

I'd get her in to the vet for a checkup/spayed as soon as possible. She also looks a bit squinty in both pictures and some of the kitty's I've known in the past also got a sort of squinty look when they were not feeling well, so I would be concerned. Any change in behaviour could be a sign something is not quite right. Also I think she may be a bit older. Good luck.:fingerscr She's very pretty by the way.:cat:

Stacer January 14th, 2007 04:27 PM

The squinty-ness could be due to the flash on the camera. I've got very few photos with open kitty eyes.

I would definitely get her in to see the vet for her first check up and make a spay appointment. My cats talk to themselves as well, it's pretty amusing actually. I enjoy "eavesdropping".:D

Rob n Cody January 16th, 2007 09:58 AM

I had a cat years ago that would "talk" to himself in the bathtub, and anywhere that there would be an echo. I think he liked the sound of his voice (thought himself one of the great tenors) so I wouldn't be concerned about that. Would definitely get her checked out by a vet, but I wouldn't necessarily worry about the singing if it doesn't sound like she's in discomfort. Maybe she wants to start a band.....?:laughing:

vfrohloff January 17th, 2007 08:01 AM

OMG, she's almost identical to my cat Petunia! Check this out:

[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/vfrohloff/Cats/PetsandCallie003.jpg[/IMG]

In answer to your question, some cats are just more vocal than others. If you're concerned about it I'd get her checked, but unspayed females tend to have lots more to say than spayed ones, even when they aren't in heat. Also, you may want to get her fixed soon; both my kittens started peeing in the house around 6 months old because they weren't spayed yet. This problem went away once they were fixed. I think your kitty looks about right for 6 months old, but size isn't always the best indicator. Petunia still looks like a kitten and she's 2.

Scott_B January 17th, 2007 10:25 AM

Who else would they talk too? Well besides you. Cats don't talk to each other. They may hiss or growl at each other, but they dont meow to communicate with each other.

Out of my three cats, all will make noises at different times at pretty much nothing. What they're saying who knows..lol

cpietra16 January 17th, 2007 03:14 PM

I have Tess who talks to herself all the time...She will only stop when I call to her:D
I have had so many cats in my life that I never really noticed until you said it...thinking back I have had 3 of my rescues that were chatter boxes.

Toonces January 17th, 2007 03:54 PM

My Toonces talks all the time but espically at night when he has his toy mouse, if I call him he brings it to me very prowd, like he actaully caught a real one!

I would not worry to much about it she is just expressing herself the only way she knows how.

BTW vfrohloff and PaigeDWinter all of you kitties are gorgeous and love the beauty marks!

petdr January 29th, 2007 08:55 AM

I have a cat that sleeps all day and stalks my corridors all night. The shrieks, growling, yowling and meowing are impressive. Who knows what visions and fantasies crowd that feline fevered brain. But I'm certain many will presume to know, and I invite all the animal channelers out there to weigh in; myself, well, I imagine animals can talk/bark/meow/etc to themselves, just as we do whenever the mood strikes. Soothing one's self isn't limited to the biped crowd.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490

RolandsMom January 29th, 2007 10:46 AM

my five month old kitten talks just a whole lot, whether im nearby or not. mostly its when hes looking outside and telling himself (or me if im nearby) how much he would love to be out there.or when hes looking for me. he is especially vocal at 6am when he comes to wake us up for a cuddle. but then its just little whirrs. I love it. I think they do try to communicate with us and i agree with the others, just as we talk to ourselves sometimes (its not just me right? i hope thats not an admission to being one of those strage people who talk to themselves. lol) so do they.
Enjoy it.