Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dollar Store Pet Supplies (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71711)

cell July 28th, 2010 01:52 PM

Dollar Store Pet Supplies

It seems to be ever cheaper to entertain and equip your pet! Although I was pretty peeved when Dollarama started putting in items over a dollars (they said it was all new items but some weren't) they have been getting in some nice pet gear lately. Seen lots of new dogs toys such as
- chuck-it style dog launcher and ball
- 4 pack of biodegradable dog bag rolls
- containers of cat jingle bells
- dog harness/leash
- collar/leash sets
- Freeze dried liver snacks ($6 in other stores)
- Dog dental chews
- large stainless steel bowls
- padded collars and leashes
- nylabone style chews

list goes on, most stuff is not ideal for serious chewers/pullers/ destroyers/l large dogs, most cat toys are probably applicable.

Sometimes I love the dollarstore :thumbs up

quincymycat July 28th, 2010 02:16 PM

I like the little fleece blankets with the pet designs on them. I can wash them every couple of days and they last for quite a while before they get just too pilly.
Those blankets started at a dollar - dollar store, right? - although they said only new merchandise is increased in price, these blankies are now $1.50 I think...:rolleyes:

cell July 28th, 2010 02:26 PM

Yeah there are items that were a dollar and then became more expensive, still they claim only new items are more then a dollar. They are brining in some good things for over a dollar so I will forgive them.
For the fleecey blankets I get the solid colour ones that are sold rolled up, folded 2 times they fit perfect in Leo's kennel. These ones don't pill so much, they get a bit thin feeling after a few washes though. If you don't put them in the drier I'm sure they would last longer.

CsqU4r3d July 28th, 2010 02:49 PM

Yeah...I love the stainless steel bowls ...I have 2 small ones I carry in my doggy **** kit...so he has his own bowls and..he has his own 500ml stainless thermos...no plastic for my boy...the bowls were a buck a piece...petsmart wanted $5.99 each!!:highfive:

TwinTails July 28th, 2010 03:01 PM

I love the dollar store ;) One local to my neighborhood is $1.25 or less, and all the pet stuff is awesome :D We get canned food, small pet food, chews for Byron, leashes, collars, etc, certain squeaky toys (chicken legs, Byron loves them and doesn't destroy them immediately). I've gotten 20' leads there as well (I need another to do tracking with B), the blankets, bowls, etc :D

chico2 July 28th, 2010 04:10 PM

I have bought 5 of those little blankets with paw-prints at only $1+tax,really cheap.
I would however not ever buy anything edible there.for either my cats or me.

quincymycat July 28th, 2010 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;940075]I have bought 5 of those little blankets with paw-prints at only $1+tax,really cheap.
I would however not ever buy anything edible there.for either my cats or me.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you there, Chico. I know a great many of their products are made for them in China and with the history they have had, fear quakes me!!!:D This includes cookies and most of their candies.
Even products with brand names are usually bought from close outs and you never can be too sure. :frustrated:
I have bought lawn decorations, flower pots, wrapping paper and other non edibles and most are a terrific bargain even if some of the prices have gone up a bit.

maneater July 28th, 2010 08:18 PM

I buy the blankets and the water bowls. My dogs are hard on chewy things to trust dollar store stuff. I dont buy my cats toys because again the dogs eat them. the stainless bows are great! I have at least 10 of them, keep a set in the car, a few outside in different spots. I also buy pillow cases their to cover my dogs bed. I know this sounds crazy but my chihuahuas have a bed and it is easier to cover it in a pillow case and then take the pillow case off and wash it every other day then it is to wash the whole bed. I wash all the beds once a week. but i change the pillow cases a few time a week. keeps the hair in check.

Dee-O-Gee July 28th, 2010 08:40 PM

You are correct cell in that most stuff is not ideal for serious chewers/pullers/ destroyers. We learned that the hard way. :o :frustrated:

[url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65599[/url]

I do like their stainless steel bowls and I scooped up every pack of a certain small plastic containers for oriole feeders that I'm making! :thumbs up

soozalooza July 28th, 2010 09:49 PM

Dollar Store Keeps My Pooch Happy

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]I visit dollar stores at least a couple of times a week to pick up new toys and dog supplies. I have found some great deals - poop bags, flashing night lights for collars, balls, ropes, dishes..... The most successful purchase was a laser pointer. I bought it with my cat in mind, but my dog goes nuts over it. We go out a lot at night when its cooler and she chases the laser all over the park. I see many of the same products at pet and department stores that cost as much as 10X the price. I often by the plush toys with ropes - buy them for $1 and have seen them elsewhere for $11. My dog is large and strong and many toys don't last long with her, but for a buck I don't care. She has a lot of good quality durable toys, but loves finding something new in the bags I come home with. The dollar store toys stand up as well as many of the toys bought at places like Petsmart. I do have to keep a good eye on her when she plays with the toys as they can break up into little sharp pieces.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

quincymycat July 29th, 2010 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=maneater;940119]I buy the blankets and the water bowls. My dogs are hard on chewy things to trust dollar store stuff. I dont buy my cats toys because again the dogs eat them. the stainless bows are great! I have at least 10 of them, keep a set in the car, a few outside in different spots. I also buy pillow cases their to cover my dogs bed. I know this sounds crazy but my chihuahuas have a bed and it is easier to cover it in a pillow case and then take the pillow case off and wash it every other day then it is to wash the whole bed. I wash all the beds once a week. but i change the pillow cases a few time a week. keeps the hair in check.[/QUOTE]

You know, I never thought of pillowcases for the pet beds. I wash the fleece blankets every couple of days and the entire bed coverings every week.....I have 6 beds around the house and using pillow cases, especially flannel is a great idea. Doubt Dollarama would have flannel, but even if I have to pay more, I am sure flannel cases will out last in the long run. I already have a couple that came with a flannel sheet set that I don't use because I prefer percale for cases, even with flannel sheets.
Thanks for the idea Maneater. :highfive:
I don't use the stainless bowls on a regular basis because I find them a bit too small for my giant sized kitties, but have a couple for feeding the strays outside. Less chance of damage and clean alot better.