Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   The TJTwitter (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68148)

hazelrunpack May 6th, 2010 11:04 PM

I can't believe they're not coming to your banquet table, MBIE! What kind of seed are you offering?

MyBirdIsEvil May 6th, 2010 11:09 PM

It's just a mix of stuff. I want to add some specific varieties but I still need more feeders. Whatever it is, the cardinals usually eat the heck out of it. There were also some plain tortilla chips in the platform. It was the only thing I could find since I'm out of bread. Hmmm, I do have some crackers though, forgot about those.

hazelrunpack May 6th, 2010 11:16 PM

I have good success with black oil sunflower seed. And if you slap a suet holder on either end of the feeder, suet is a popular item during nesting season. :thumbs up If you get the store-bought suet, make sure you get the kind that's good at higher temps since the stuff meant for winter use will melt when you get close to 80 degrees.

MyBirdIsEvil May 6th, 2010 11:46 PM

I need to get more suet. I have some brand in my cabinet but the birds didn't seem to like it. It barely was touched. I'd been putting off buying more 'til I got my feeder up and could actually nail a suet holder to it, so I guess now is a good time. :) We have lots of woodpeckers anyway and I'm sure they'll like it.

hazelrunpack May 7th, 2010 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The hairy, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers will go nuts over it. :thumbs up I've only seen a yellow-bellied sapsucker on ours once...and the pileated woodpecker and the flickers shun my suet entirely. :o But I love pitching the blind near the suet and sneaking pictures of the hairy woodpeckers. :evil: It really ticks them off when you post their pics :laughing:

[ATTACH]65065[/ATTACH]

So [SIZE="3"][I]there[/I][/SIZE], Hairy Woodpecker! Take [SIZE="3"][I]that!!![/I][/SIZE] :laughing:

hazelrunpack May 7th, 2010 12:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got a few shots of some rose-breasted grosbeaks, too--had to stalk them so couldn't get closer than about 30 feet, but with close cropping you can get a pretty good view of the handsome dudes:

[ATTACH]65068[/ATTACH]

The guy on the right appears to be a first-spring male--notice the streaking on the flanks and the white feathers breaking up the black on the head and the rose bib.

[ATTACH]65069[/ATTACH]

ownedbycats May 7th, 2010 11:05 AM

I wish I khad somewhere to set up a blind, it would be really neat to see some of those birds up close. I really like your rose-breasted gros beak pictures Hazel.

hazelrunpack May 7th, 2010 12:23 PM

Blinds are good in the winter and might be good in summer (I'll find out soon :D)...I'm beginning to think they're no good during the migration. It was raining and to keep the camera dry today I sat in the blind. But although I could hear a lot of warblers passing just to the south of the blind through the underbrush, I never managed to spot [I]one[/I], much less take a pic of it. So today, blinds are totally overrated, ownedbycats! :laughing:

The grosbeaks were actually stalked--I take a slow step forward, snap a picture, take a slow step forward, take a picture...until the bird flushes. I keep the camera up to my face (so heaven forbid I've missed something on the latest poop patrol, cuz I can't see the ground :o) and if I see signs that the bird is getting ready to fly, I stop until it calms down. I can usually get within 30 feet of birds that have seen my performance many times before. These grosbeaks had not, but I still got within about 45 feet :thumbs up The pictures are pretty close-cropped. I'm glad you enjoyed them, ownedbycats.

A further adventure awaits, although I'm not sure when we'll get around to it. hubby bought me a tree stand. I want to put it up in one of the oaks the warblers and grosbeaks frequent and see if I can get any good pics from up there. I won't be able to look down though because I have this pathological fear of falling from a tree! :laughing:

Chris21711 May 7th, 2010 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My g/f who lives in big town has a pond on her property with a small island in it...Geese like to nest on there every year, she would prefer they didn't because of the goose poop :yuck:

This year the female laid her first egg on April 7th, today she called to say that all six eggs had hatched one month to the day.

This is a pic we took when I was there a couple of weeks ago:

[ATTACH]65076[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack May 7th, 2010 12:35 PM

Six!! :highfive: Now [I]that's[/I] going to be fun to watch. :D When are you going back for more pics?

Chris21711 May 7th, 2010 12:42 PM

[B]Hazel [/B]Lovely pics of the RBG's, I love those birds, I have only ever seen one once, so totally unfair :(

Overall this year I seem to be having a dearth of newbies to the hood, even my birdhouses are vacant with the exception of the Tree Swallows...I haven't even seen a Cedar Waxwing....sigh :(

Chris21711 May 7th, 2010 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;915692]Six!! :highfive: Now [I]that's[/I] going to be fun to watch. :D When are you going back for more pics?[/QUOTE]

If I ever get my :censored: wheels back, next week :yell:

hazelrunpack May 7th, 2010 12:45 PM

Pack up the dogs and take a road trip. :D You can come here. hazel etal will share.

Your birds must be[I] somewhere[/I]....maybe they're just late because they ran into this friggin' cold front :o I had to unpack my winter coat again! :yell:

Chris21711 May 7th, 2010 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;915697]Pack up the dogs and take a road trip. :D You can come here. hazel etal will share.

[COLOR="Purple"]I was telling Pepe last night that you must live in a migatory path you get such an abundance.[/COLOR]

Your birds must be[I] somewhere[/I]....maybe they're just late because they ran into this friggin' cold front :o I had to unpack my winter coat again! :yell:[/QUOTE]

I dunno Hazel, but they sure are not here, it's not so chilly here, definately not winter coat weather more like spring jacket or a sweatshirt :shrug:, it has been quite windy though....yeah that's it, they are getting blown away :yell:

hazelrunpack May 7th, 2010 01:24 PM

That might not be such an off-the-wall theory. If the wind is in a favorable direction for migration, the birds will take advantage of it. The white-throated sparrows moved through here in record time this year because of the favorable winds. And if the wind is not blowing in a favorable direction, the birds stay low to keep out of it while they're foraging. So they can be pretty dang hard to see :shrug:

We do live in the area cut off by a fork in the migratory pathway--between those birds following the Mississippi and its tributaries (and eventually coming up the Chippewa and its tributaries to get here) and the bird migrating further east and using the great lakes as a path. There is a little wetland to the south of us which empties into the south fork of the Eau Claire river, as well. Plus a lot of the birds breed in the surrounding forest. So we're well-situated to see birds. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 09:56 PM

Eastern bluebird

3 Attachment(s)
madame hazel decided to check out the bluebird house so she sneakily approached from behind. She definitely found signs of occupancy:

[ATTACH]65197[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65198[/ATTACH]

Mama just froze there like a wooden carving. :D

[ATTACH]65199[/ATTACH]

Should be fun once the babies hatch :highfive:

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 09:59 PM

Song sparrow #1

3 Attachment(s)
This little guy was hanging out under the feeder one day...

[ATTACH]65200[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65201[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65202[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:01 PM

Song sparrow #2 and Chipping sparrows

3 Attachment(s)
...and in the brush the next:

[ATTACH]65203[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65204[/ATTACH]

Meanwhile, our numerous chipping sparrows are spatting out in the yards over mates and territory. These three are resting from a knock-down drag-out fight that madame hazel just missed catching with the camera :frustrated:

[ATTACH]65205[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:06 PM

Eastern phoebe

3 Attachment(s)
Which do you see first in this shot? The blurred out rose-breasted grosbeak in the background...
[ATTACH]65206[/ATTACH]
...or the eastern phoebe in the foreground? I'm sure another phoebe would have seen the phoebe first, but madame hazel almost deleted the image as just another blurry grosbeak :D

Here are a couple more shots of the phoebe:

[ATTACH]65207[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65208[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:10 PM

Red-bellied woodpecker female

3 Attachment(s)
She was shy at first, but warmed up and started showing off. :cloud9:

[ATTACH]65209[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65210[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65211[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:13 PM

Rose-breasted grosbeak male

3 Attachment(s)
[attach]65212[/attach]

[attach]65213[/attach]

[attach]65214[/attach]

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:17 PM

Brown-headed cowbird male and blue jay in freefall

3 Attachment(s)
Brown-headed cowbirds are notorious nest parasites, but they also turn out to be fairly approachable and rather photogenic. :D

[ATTACH]65215[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65216[/ATTACH]

This guy had just launched himself from the tip of a tree and was angling back toward me--it's a dark image, but you can see the angle of the tail as he uses it to turn and the twist of the body as he changes direction. I thought it was a neat shot, even if it [I]is[/I] dark...:o

[ATTACH]65217[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:20 PM

Blue-winged warbler

3 Attachment(s)
A little better than the previous shot in this thread, but still not very good. madame hazel is still trying :D

[ATTACH]65218[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65219[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65220[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:23 PM

Chestnut-sided warbler male and a catbird

3 Attachment(s)
This little guy showed up this morning. He's probably our breeding male--we have a pair that nests here each year.

[ATTACH]65221[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65222[/ATTACH]

The catbirds also showed up today but they're still pretty shy. I did catch a glimpse, though, as madame hazel was stalking one.

[ATTACH]65223[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:26 PM

Black-and-white warbler female

3 Attachment(s)
This little beauty also may be one of our breeders. She spent a lot of time checking out the oaks today. I hope she stays cuz she sure is a cutie! :flirt:

[ATTACH]65224[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65225[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65226[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:30 PM

Rufous-sided (spotted) towhee male

3 Attachment(s)
These handsome devils have been around for a while, but they stick to thick cover for the most part and most of the shots madame hazel has gotten so far look like this:

[ATTACH]65227[/ATTACH]

But today, she finally got lucky and the handsome dude cooperated! :thumbs up You can actually see the red eyes!

[ATTACH]65228[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65229[/ATTACH]

luckypenny May 10th, 2010 10:31 PM

Lovely feeder, MBIE. Are birds feeding at it finally :fingerscr?

OBC, I've never seen an oriole before...the orange feathers are beautiful!

Hazel, neat to see what hummingbirds look like when still :cloud9:. But that brown-headed cowbird looked awfully mean in the first pic. Did you scare a potential girlfriend away??

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately, the dogs are not fans of birdwatching.

"You done yet, Mom?"
[ATTACH]65230[/ATTACH]

[SIZE="4"][I]"Hey Mom!!!! Aren't you done YET?!?!?[/I][/SIZE]
[ATTACH]65231[/ATTACH]

"Sigh...Mom, please...aren't you done [I]yet?[/I]"
[ATTACH]65233[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=luckypenny;917249]But that brown-headed cowbird looked awfully mean in the first pic. Did you scare a potential girlfriend away??[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure [I]what [/I]his problem is. :D He's just always glowering like that. Maybe that's why he's always alone! :o

:laughing:

Dee-O-Gee May 10th, 2010 11:02 PM

Blue winged warbler pictures are stunning hazel but I especially love the one of the contortionist flying & twisting in mid air. What kind of bird was he? :shrug:

I must say that my favorite ones are of the [I]"not so much"[/I] birdwatchers! :D

hazelrunpack May 11th, 2010 04:15 PM

Oh, sorry. :o The aerialist is a blue jay. :D

The [I]"not so much"[/I] crew was at it again today, only with less patience, cuz it was raining. :dog:

hazelrunpack May 11th, 2010 04:19 PM

Watercolor warblers

3 Attachment(s)
It rained today and was very gloomy, but I did get a few pics from about 80 feet away. They aren't sharp, but they do show the general color pattern of these birds. Because of the weather, the images have a sort of soft, watercolor look to them, don't they? :D

Male Cape May warbler:
[ATTACH]65250[/ATTACH]

Male Magnolia warbler:
[ATTACH]65251[/ATTACH]

Female Nashville warbler:
[ATTACH]65252[/ATTACH]

Aren't they cute? :flirt:

hazelrunpack May 11th, 2010 04:21 PM

Btw, the Magnolia warbler is sitting in a hazelnut bush. :p

quincymycat May 11th, 2010 05:26 PM

gorgeous pictures Hazel. I saw my first yellow bird ..... I think it may have been a goldfinch this morning on my walk. I never see any around my place but there must be a nest nearby because I saw at least 2 of them flying around very early.
I never said I was any good at identifying birds.....just that I love to watch them! :laughing:

hazelrunpack May 11th, 2010 10:10 PM

Did it have black wings, qmc? If so, it was a goldfinch. If not, it could have been a warbler! They're passing through in numbers now and there are some that end up or pass through your area, too, I believe :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee May 11th, 2010 10:15 PM

:sorry: but the male Magnolia Warbler looks like Batman with a head shield! :D

Still no signs of hummers in my neck of the woods :( but Mollie has learned to jump straight up to tip her nose on a feeder hanging 6 feet off the ground! :frustrated:

hazelrunpack May 11th, 2010 10:37 PM

Batman, eh? :laughing: He does, doesn't he! LOL

Ember used to jump straight up to look in the wren house when he saw a bird going in, klm. It must be an 'orange' thing! :D

quincymycat May 12th, 2010 07:05 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;917640]Did it have black wings, qmc? If so, it was a goldfinch. If not, it could have been a warbler! They're passing through in numbers now and there are some that end up or pass through your area, too, I believe :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

I'm on my way out for my walk now...providing the light rain isn't keeping them down, I'll check for the black wings....they are very pretty regardless!

Chris21711 May 12th, 2010 01:49 PM

Holy Crow Hazel you leave me in awe looking at the different species you get to admire. I'm totally jealous :o

hazelrunpack May 12th, 2010 10:12 PM

Cape May warbler

3 Attachment(s)
The light was a little better and I was able to get a little closer, so the pics are a little better today. I'm still praying for a sunny day with lots of warblers, but so far I've had to settle for rain and gloom. :o

[ATTACH]65288[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65289[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65290[/ATTACH]