Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   complication after neutering?? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53855)

c39m June 29th, 2008 05:54 PM

complication after neutering??

My dog Ralph was neutered several weeks ago and his stitches/staples were removed last Monday. He is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and is 7 month old.

Today, I noticed what looks like a testicle in the same location where his testicles were just removed. My husband felt it and It even feels like a sack.
It is not bothering Ralph at all. He is not ill. He is eating, going to the bathroom OK, and drinking water and playing like normal.
We are calling our vet in the morning and taking him over to have this looked at but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what this could possibly be??

growler~GateKeeper June 29th, 2008 05:59 PM

Sometimes it does take a while for the swelling to go down and the skin of the "sack" to shrink.

It is a good idea to take him in for a check up so the vet can check the healing of the suture area

rainbow June 29th, 2008 06:21 PM

I agree with Growler....it takes a while for the swelling to go down. Was the swelling there when he got his stitches out? If not, and this is something that just happened, I would give your vet a call. :pawprint:

c39m June 29th, 2008 07:45 PM

This was not there when the stitches were removed. We just noticed it today and it has been about 2 weeks since the stitch removal.
We are going to call the vet tomorrow and have him look at Ralphie.

This is more than just swelling though. It is black in color and actually feels like a small sack, just like a testicle. It is really weird!!!

hazelrunpack June 29th, 2008 07:53 PM

Cole had post-neutering edema in the scrotum. The area is really quite vascular and sometimes fluids leak into the scrotum post-surgery. It did look remarkably like he was still intact.

In Cole's case the vet drained the edema by needle aspiration, the bleeder closed off as it healed, and the swelling resolved. If I'm remembering correctly we put cool compresses on it and limited his activity for a few days, too.

Having the vet look at it is a good idea, just to confirm that that's what's going on. But if that's all it is, Ralph should have a complete recovery in a week or two. :thumbs up

rainbow June 29th, 2008 07:55 PM

My lab was black and swollen too but it's best to have your vet take a look. I'm sure he is okay......keep us posted. :goodvibes:

c39m June 29th, 2008 08:07 PM

Was Cole having any problems post surgery???

How long before you saw that there was an issue???

hazelrunpack June 29th, 2008 08:18 PM

It took about a week after the surgery for anything to be noticeable...but I might have just missed it because I was pretty sick at the time. It lasted for another couple of weeks after that.

We think it happened because he was too active post-surgery. I couldn't take him out on a leash because I was too sick, and he sometimes got more active on his trips out than I would have liked. :o (He's always been an exuberant boy. :dog:)

Other than the edema, there were no problems with his recovery.

c39m June 29th, 2008 08:29 PM

This sounds like what could be possibly going on here. Ralph has a brother, Norton and they both had the surgery together. They have done everything together since they were born and since we took them as litter mates 6 weeks after they were born. Ralphie is a bit bigger than his brother Norton. Norton does not have the same issue. He is fine.

It was very hard to control their activity after the surgery, They are always wrestling and chasing one another. It is almost impossible to control without taking one to a different location.

I will take him to the vet and hopefully this will all be fixed before we go away nest Tuesday??? :cry: Thanks!!

hazelrunpack June 29th, 2008 08:59 PM

It will likely take longer than a week for the swelling to resolve. Are Ralph and Norton going with you or will they be boarded while you're gone? If boarded, make sure they're separated--it will give Ralph a chance to heal. And if they're going with, walk them separately and don't allow them to play together too roughly. (Yes, it's a royal pain in the butt, but keeping him quiet will be instrumental in healing.)

You're much braver than I am--we always do surgeries one dog at a time if at all possible! :D I'm always a basket case when [I]one [/I]of my babies is in stitches. :o And trying to keep[I] two [/I]of them quiet at once! :rolleyes: well...I don't think I'm up to the challenge! :laughing: