Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   side effects to neutering or vaccinations? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5428)

catara July 8th, 2004 09:11 PM

side effects to neutering or vaccinations?

I have a 6 month old bengal baby who is the love of my life. Today she was spade and received a vaccination for FRCP and Rabies Purevax. When I brought her home she wouldn't stop licking her sutures, so I put on this Elizabethian collar? As soon as it was put on her and she realized that she couldn't get it off, she started looking and acting real sick. She keeps tripping and falling face first, and her eyes got real slanty and the third eye lid showed up.Is there anything to be concerned about? :confused:

glasslass July 8th, 2004 09:32 PM

I would call the vet in case it's a reaction to the vaccinations or possibly shock. The emergency vet if your vet isn't available. Tell them over the phone what is happening. They can advise you. Or, better yet, just go ahead and take her in. Better safe than sorry! :(

Luba July 8th, 2004 09:45 PM

What a stupid vet to spay and give a vaccination at the same time how dumb can you be!

Your vet shouldn't have done this, shoulda gave the vaccination waited for immunity to build up about 2/3 weeks then spay or visa versa.

Shaking my head, why do they do this? Poor puppy!

Your dog may very well be having an allergic reaction and you should take her to the vet asap! They can turn dangerous if bad enough.

Do you have an emergency clinic? If not call the vet at home or the office answering machine may have instructions... pls don't wait!

Lucky Rescue July 8th, 2004 10:27 PM

Agree with Luba and glasslass! Cats can have serious reactions to injections. Get her to an emergency vet!

catara July 8th, 2004 10:57 PM

My bengal baby

I did take your advise and called the vet, whose voicemail directed me to an emergency vet. I called them and they seemed to think that she was slow coming out of the anesthesia, and just to monitr her breathing. Clumbsiness and cloudy eyes are a reaction to that. I will contact the vet in the morning. They open early. Thanks again! :o

glasslass July 9th, 2004 09:33 AM

How is your baby? :(

Lucky Rescue July 9th, 2004 09:53 AM

Yes, let us know! I hope it's just an anesthesia reaction.:)

Luba July 9th, 2004 12:18 PM

I said dog and puppy :( stupid me....so the dogs name isn't bengal it is a CAT!

Okay SMH stupid me stupid me!! Tx for the classy way of pointing that out to me LR you're a dear!

Sorry to have mixed that up, I don't know all the cat breeds and naturally dog minded I thought you had a dog.

Reactions nonetheless are the same, your vet didn't make a great call on this one!

Sorry I mixed it up :rolleyes:

Lucky Rescue July 9th, 2004 12:44 PM

No worries Luba!! :D Most people don't know what a Bengal cat is. The breed is not very old, and no one who is not an (unwilling) cat person like me would know what it is!

Anyway, your advice stands - no matter for cat or dog.

This breed was actually created by mixing in Asian Leopards with domestic cats! :eek:
[IMG]http://www.tibcs.com/gallery/millwood/jazzbeat.jpg[/IMG]

Luba July 9th, 2004 12:45 PM

Thats an interesting mix and very beautiful

I still feel stupid DUUUH head lmao!

catara July 9th, 2004 06:19 PM

Baby bengal's on the mend!

Her eyes are round and clear. She is attempting to bat things around, not well as she can't see them because of the collar. The litter box has been a real challenge, also. I guess I should consider changing vets....

Kaylee is a snow spotted bengal, I'd post a pic, but don't know how you did it.

Luba July 9th, 2004 06:38 PM

There was someone on here once that actually put a margarine container on their cat instead of a ECollar.

So much easier on them but still prevents them from licking at things and chewing themselves.

I think what she did was junk the lid and cut a hole out of the bottom of the container. Someone help me on this , anyone remember?

The cat was much more comfortable and I wish I could find that post but can't!

catara July 9th, 2004 06:55 PM

fascinating....

I'll try it tomorrow. Or if any other ideas show up, I'm listening!

glasslass July 9th, 2004 07:27 PM

I searched for instructions for the margarine container collar. Is this it?

[QUOTE=LuckyRescue]Someone here had a great suggestion.

Take a margarine tub of appropriate size and cut down one side and cut the bottom off. Tape up the cut edges so they won't hurt your cat.

Place the margarine tub around your cat's neck and tape the two edges together. Depending on where the lesion is, this should keep him from scratching it, but he will still be able to see, eat, drink, etc.

There is a cream the vet sells, called Panalog, that should stop the itching.[/QUOTE]

glasslass July 9th, 2004 07:30 PM

I found that quote by Lucky Rescue 5/11 on the "Can You Bandage a Cat's Neck?" string. I wasn't able to find the "someone" that she was referring to.

Luba July 9th, 2004 07:41 PM

I sure think it would be better then the Ecollar those things are awful!!

Thats not the original post but its got a good explanation to it, tx :D

catara July 9th, 2004 10:09 PM

I'll try it, I'll try anything

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you. I'm very glad I found this site. You guys are great! :)

Lucky Rescue July 9th, 2004 10:15 PM

OMG - that cat is GORGEOUS!!!!! :eek:

I wonder if I can trade in all my mutt-cats and get one like that? :D

Luba July 9th, 2004 10:24 PM

WOW pretty kitty for sure!!

I love that face, that stare OMG how cute!

glasslass July 10th, 2004 08:47 AM

Awww! What a sweetiepie! :)

catara July 10th, 2004 11:13 AM

Kaylee is doing just great...

I don't think I'm going to bother, buying and removing margarine, she tolerates the collar now. Last night, and this morning, we dropped it down to her arm pits, Wearing it like a high waisted tutu, allowing her to eat and play for a bit. As soon as she starts to remove it , I bring it bavk up to the neck. Thanks for the help.

glasslass July 10th, 2004 01:27 PM

We need a "tutu pix"! :)

Princesss04 July 12th, 2004 09:05 AM

Very PRETTY cat. I have never heard of them but they are so beautiful!

Spoiled July 12th, 2004 05:16 PM

What a pretty kitty! Those cats are the ones that don't shed a lot and are very social, right? :D

catara July 12th, 2004 07:44 PM

Kaylee is purrrrfect!

You would never believe that this is the same little girl that was so sick on thursday night. Yes, you can see how light she is. I have yet to find a cat hair anywhere...And she is beyond social, she is downright demanding. :p She plays
ball better than a dog, because she brings it back and drops it in your hand, and is a great fly catcher!! She is quite a talker too! I'm a proud mama, can you tell?

chico2 July 12th, 2004 07:57 PM

What a beautiful cat!!! All my life I've said,ok,next time I'll get a purebred :D
But these regular,ordinary cat-cats keep falling into my lap :D
Only once 200yrs ago did I have a BIG beautiful Maine Coon,after him only mutt-mutts :D But boy,do I love'em :D

Lucky Rescue July 12th, 2004 08:02 PM

I"m glad to hear the beautiful Kaylee is feeling better!:)

[QUOTE]All my life I've said,ok,next time I'll get a purebred[/QUOTE]

Haha - me too! But I keep getting saddled with ordinary brats.:(

catara July 13th, 2004 08:47 AM

you know, I recently got divorced, my two kids have just graduated college. I was experiencing "empty nest syndrome". I needed a pet, and okay - maybe a little eye candy....I must have researched every cat breed and color there was- and when I saw a snow bengal, well I fell in love. Thank you everyone. It's nice to know that you are out there to help fellow pet owners in need. :)