Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself here - Say hello (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hey (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13076)

lilrocker March 13th, 2005 08:16 PM

Hey

Hi eveyone im a 17 year old male From Toronto Canada currently in grade 12, im actually looking into geting a dog i live with my dad and myself in a pretty big house, i had a dog back 2 years ago, he was a shar-pei sadley i was alergic to its saliva and was geting hives from it so we had to take him back seeing as i was the main person taking care of him... im really just looking for a companion and somone to keep me company at home... im home alone alot as my dad works late houres and i think having a dog would be great... the more bodies in the house the better :) just looking into what kind i may be able to get.. some im alergic to others i am not.. its odd ... jack russels im fine with but with some dogs like labs my eyes get bloode shot and more... hope fully i can find out a bit more threw these fourms :)

Sneaky2006 March 13th, 2005 08:31 PM

Hi and welcome! :D
I would just like to say that when you're ready to adopt/purchase another pup, you should try to visit it first, very often, to see if you have any allergies before getting his/her hopes up in finding a forever home.

lilrocker March 13th, 2005 08:34 PM

lol yea i totaly agree at the time i lived with my sister and mom as well and my sister actually found out all the info about the dog... and whent we whent to meet the breader there where tones of different dogs so we had no idea if i was alergic or any of that stuff... im hopeing im able to find a dog that im not alergic 2 and give it an awsome home :)

Prin March 14th, 2005 01:08 AM

Welcome to the board. There is a lot to learn here... :)

My dad is allergic to the world but he is not allergic to his Jack. I think it's just because they have less drool to begin with...

lilrocker March 14th, 2005 01:25 AM

lol that could be it :P my cousins have a lake lander tarrier.... not sure if i spelled that right im not alergic to that as far as i know either :D

Lizzie March 14th, 2005 08:20 AM

When you happen to go visit a dog I would suggest you spend time outdoors with it--away from other dogs, or allegens. If you visit indoors you will never know if it was the furbaby or another active in the air.

Also, try to get yourself really close with the dog--have him lick you, get your hands on him and then on you to ensure that you don't have an allergic reaction. Like someone already said, you do not want to have to take another dog back--it is heartbreaking for the dog and likely for you too.

pollito March 15th, 2005 10:42 AM

well, the shorter the muzzle, the more saliva they produce (althought i love those dogs) so if you are allergic to saliva I would suggest looking into long-muzzle breeds, like german shepards, poodles, dashhounds, greyhounds, etc. And I would not suggest getting a bull-dog, boxer type of dogs, mastiffs. Are you looking for a medium, large or a small dog, log, short-haired, hyper, calm what kind of dogs do you like? I guess because you are still 17, you will want a more energetic dog. Just tell us more about what you are looking for and maybe we'll be able to sugest some breeds so you can do some research on them. It is nice having new members on the board. By the way I'm not far in age from you, 19 years old

Prin March 15th, 2005 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=Lizzie]When you happen to go visit a dog I would suggest you spend time outdoors with it--away from other dogs, or allegens. If you visit indoors you will never know if it was the furbaby or another active in the air.

Also, try to get yourself really close with the dog--have him lick you, get your hands on him and then on you to ensure that you don't have an allergic reaction. Like someone already said, you do not want to have to take another dog back--it is heartbreaking for the dog and likely for you too.[/QUOTE]
What kills my boyfriend is if he buries his nose in the fur and takes a deep breath. Also watch if you get scratched by the nails or teeth of the doggy- with allergies the scratches raise up and get really red.