Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Ole Boston Bulldog (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59079)

madmyke December 15th, 2008 09:50 PM

Ole Boston Bulldog

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I am looking at adopting a 7 month old puppy and one has specifically caught my attention. Unfortunately, the one I was looking at has a slight deformity in that its vagina and its anus are closely spaced (about 1 cm apart) see picture attached. The dog is fine otherwise and does not seem to be suffering from any problems from this deformity. I am planning on spaying the dog anyhow so there is no question of breeding.

I am concerned that if I pick up this puppy, that its deformity may actually result in long term complications which may hurt us emotionally (the kids especially) as well as financially. Does any one have experience with this type of deformity? Is it common? Is it something I can and should ignore because it is not an issue?

I would appreciate any advice.

Mike

Frenchy December 15th, 2008 10:31 PM

I would call a few vets if I was you. Ask for as many opinions. This pup looks cute as hell :lovestruck: (from the little I can see of her face :laughing:) and it wouldn't be fair to not adopt her just in case ... maybe she would be just like any other dog.

Call St-Hyacinthe vet's school , DMV in Lachine , 2-3 vets ... and see what they tell you , and come back here with an update because I for one , would like to find out what they think about this condition.

mummummum December 16th, 2008 12:03 AM

If I were paying money for a purebred pup, I would not buy this pup.

If I were paying money for a pup, I would not buy this pup.

If I were adopting this pup, I would need to make sure I and all my family members are prepared to:

*wipe the pup's anal area and vulva properly and thoroughly after each and every defecation and urination immediately afterward (yup, that means on the middle of Main Street) and ensure she is completely dry within a few minutes

*wash and dry then apply a powder and/or cream (depending upon your dogs propensity for infection it can be something as simple as Zinc or it can be an ongoing prescribed powder and cream) to the area each and every day, sometimes several times a day

*check for signs of irritation and infection each day

* check her urinary PH on a regular basis and treat accordingly for over/under acidity

My gal Ceili has a different condition (oversized vulva) than does this pup but, the end (pardon the pun) results are the same.

Karin December 16th, 2008 12:56 AM

What MMM said. I see many uti's , possible e coli infections in your future. My Ciara had an "inverted" vulva and we went through many e coli outbreaks. Not cheap either.
Every time she went through this, she was so sick I thought it was the end for sure. It took at least 6 weeks of expensive medication to get her back on line and we did this twice a year.
Now, if the pup was a male, I would not worry about it. Just my opinion.