Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Baby Squirrel bites (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63535)

chico2 June 19th, 2009 07:50 AM

Baby Squirrel bites

We found a baby Squirrel on our pool-deck this morning:sad:we thought he was a baby..
Shivering and wet we put him in a towel.
At a loss for what to do,I mashed some bread with milk to try to syringe-feed him
Well,I picked him up,he bit me,hubby tried and he really bit him hard,then he took off:confused:
He was probably not as much of a baby as we thought,small because he is a Red Squirrel,he was in our three in no-time.
He probably fell in to the pool from the tree and was exhausted and wet.
Now dry,he is in our tree,ran there on his own account:thumbs up

Now,to my question,how dangerous are Squirell bites?????

Golden Girls June 19th, 2009 07:54 AM

I'd get a rabbie shot :shrug: They're known for carriers not necessary rabbied

chico2 June 19th, 2009 08:04 AM

GG,I'm not too worried about rabies,but I am calling our doc as soon as they open.
I've had a Tetanus-shot recently,but hubby hasn't,if we have to go to the hospital,we will..thank's GG

Golden Girls June 19th, 2009 08:09 AM

Good luck to hubby, and thanks for saving yet another lil one :angel2:

chico2 June 19th, 2009 08:35 AM

Thank's GG,watching him now in our tree,he is defenitly a Red Squirrel,we don't see them around here.
He was just cold and wet,at least we warmed him up and dried him,before he bit us,not very greatful:yell:

BenMax June 19th, 2009 09:38 AM

If you got bitten you will need a tetenus shot.

A little off topic - I was trying to help an injured squirrel about 12 years ago. The poor bugger was in pain obviously and got a hold of my finger. My finger was almost severed and I had to have surgery to put the nerves, tendons and fat back together. The bone luckily was intact by thats about it. I received only the tenenus shot.

14+kitties June 19th, 2009 09:42 AM

Ouch! That's the thanks you get for trying to help the little beggar!! I would at the very least be taking hubby in to get a tetenus shot.
Chico - you are the greatest for helping all these little creatures. :cloud9:

Melinda June 19th, 2009 11:33 AM

your hubby will definately need a tetnus shot. *knocks on wood* I've never been bitten yet, I mostly get the adults while they are still in shock so they are easily treated.
Chico, do you have a small plank to float in your pool? if a squirrel or bird falls in they will automatically swim to it, my neighbour was forever accidently killing chipmunks so I put a plank in the water at night and you'd be amazed how many mornings we get up to a boating chipmunk (as we call them) one time she had the mom and two babies on it.

ancientgirl June 19th, 2009 12:22 PM

I'm glad the little guy was okay, but ouch for you and hubby!

chico2 June 19th, 2009 01:14 PM

Thank's everyone:grouphug:
Our doc called the Health-Department no rabies-shots needed,my Tetanus was ok,but hubby had to take one,I asked for a big fat shot:laughing:

The nurse,who has seen me with serious cat-bite had a good chuckle over us two:laughing:
It was really weird though,he was totally knocked out,wet and shivering,looked just like a regular Baby-Squirrel,until we noticed the reddish tail and back.
He took off like a shot,once he was dried and warm,but not before he bit us good,oh well,it's ok.
At least he was not a baby-squirrel needing nursing:thumbs up

Melinda,I told hubby we need to put a plank in the pool,he said"why not a massage-chair,to make our home a complete spa for the critters":laughing:
But that is a good idea.

Melinda June 19th, 2009 01:31 PM

chico, tell hubby they much prefer a mini motor boat and ski's but a massage chair will do *L*

the squirrel was likely in shock when you first picked him up chico, you warm them up to get them out of shock, once out of it, man....are those suckers wild!!

Bina June 19th, 2009 03:32 PM

Ouch. Rodent bites are not fun.....poor little guy had already fought for his life.
Good on you for saving him. And I think all pools should have a floating plank or styrofoam piece for safety.

chico2 June 19th, 2009 03:58 PM

I've never heard of that,we've never had any animals in the pool before,but it is a very good idea.
We kept the little guy wrapped up in a towel in a box,I thought he was dying,but obviously not,which was a great thing.
Hubby got the worst bite,on both sides of his finger,but all's well that ends well:thumbs up
I'll mention the boat and skis to him:laughing:

NoahGrey June 19th, 2009 04:06 PM

Squirrels are too small to get rabies. The virus would kill them before they showed any symptoms.

I was also going to tell you and hubby to get a tenus shot, but this has been covered.

I remember getting bitten bya chipmunk. poor little guy was tangled in that damn mesh garden netting. He bite my finger and latched on for a good 5-10 mins. My fingers was pretty much deformed for a good 4 months. Then again it makes sense, their teeth are disigned to crack nuts. Hope your finger feels better soon.

[QUOTE=chico2;791899]It was really weird though,he was totally knocked out,wet and shivering,looked just like a regular Baby-Squirrel,until we noticed the reddish tail and back.He took off like a shot[/QUOTE]

Its funny that you mention that. When I finally got the chipmunk off my finget he went completely limp. I took him back to the shelter and 20mins later he was zipping around his box and totally fine. He was later released. I think it is just the shock of everything.

[QUOTE=Bina;791933] I think all pools should have a floating plank or styrofoam piece for safety.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I rescue many animals that have fallen into a pool and can not get out.

ACO22

chico2 June 19th, 2009 04:14 PM

ACO,that's good to know and yes,I had a tetanus-shot after Rocky bit me the first time so badly,so I was ok,hubby had one though.
You should have seen that little guy go,but Red Squirrels are very quick on their little feet.
He was adorable while he was still conked out,I got to pet his little head:lovestruck:

Melinda June 20th, 2009 07:36 AM

I have a soft spot for red squirrels, they were my first introduction into rehabbing wildlife, and the reason we bought a computer *L* honest, it was so I could stay in daily contact with the rescue center in ottawa

chico2 June 20th, 2009 07:46 AM

Melinda,we usually see one or 2 around here,but don't see them very often,they are adorable.
When this little guy was wet,he looked like a regular baby-Squirrel,he just stayed inside the towel in the box.
It was when we were trying to give him some liquid that he bit us and said"Hey,I am not a baby!"bit us and took off:laughing: