Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Feline Idiopathic Cystitis. Scully (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84735)

Koteburo October 30th, 2013 01:53 PM

Feline Idiopathic Cystitis. Scully

After 3 visits to the vet since July to October Scully is presenting a pattern in her urinary tract.
She gets sick, tries to go to the litter box all the time, sometimes in some other places like the dirty clothes hamper. You can see she's experiencing a lot of discomfort. Bloody urine, all the signs of the urinary infection.
Then after a 2 or 3 days she gets better. First we thought it was the antibiotic and analgesics. But this last time she didn't have any, the vet is suspecting that it could be caused by stress. X Rays don't show any stones (and I am so grateful for that), she had one culture back in July that showed cocci bacteria and now we're waiting for the results of the sample that was taken today in the following 3 to 4 days. Without any medication she is now emptying her bladder normally, no more blood, no more going all the time, etc.
(We did take her to the vet of course)
We bought at her clinic a Feliway difusor to begin with.
Her an Bobandy tolerate each other but they're not pals. She gets along with Mulder very well (and Mulder aka Bonkers) gets along very well with both. She's everyone's friend.
So anyway we will be getting new furniture very soon. A couch, a table, among some other things.
Bobandy has been with us for over a year and this UTIs are relatively new. Why now? The only different thing is that I'm pregnant (never been before) but I love them as much as life. I haven't changed at all with them, except for not letting them lie on my belly that's about it.
I'm concerned of how the baby will affect them, particularly Scully who is a very sensitive cat.
I'm thinking of ways to ease her stress since it's even making her sick
She's an indoors cat, she has access to the deck when we are around, although it's getting cold. Not the best relationship with Bo but not bad either.
Difusers are one option but what else can help her ease her stress...
Aroma therapy?
(They have cat trees)
Ideas are welcome.

Winston October 31st, 2013 07:58 AM

Koteboro I am sorry that Skully has this. My sweet baby girl Tabitha had this for several years before she passed. We dealt with it as best as we could but it did have its frustrations. Most of the time it was the inappropriate peeing outside the box. If we managed to catch her quickly and get her to the vet it usually helped. We tried several different meds and some worked better than others. I can go back and check to see what was prescribed but the one medication that I do recall that worked well was called Orbax.

I opened a thread about this located here if you want to see what some folks suggested:
[url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67572&highlight=ideopathic+cystitis[/url]

Good Luck!

Reg November 1st, 2013 04:07 PM

Hi Koteburo:

If I recall I think early this spring you had occasion to use some colloidal silver on one of your cats. Have you thought of using it for the urinary tract problems? Our Missy has the same problem from time to time. The typical bloody spots all over the house, and suffering a lot of pain while trying to urinate. I have found using colloidal silver along with homeopathics that I can knock the pain out of her in about 3 hours or less.

I try to get the homeopathics into her first, Arnica for pain, Pulsatilla this is for irritation, and Hepar Sulfuris is excellent for bladder infections. After that I try to get colloidal silver into her usually 3 or 4 times a day I give her 3 mL or 3 eyedroppers full. Usually things have settled down in a half a day and she is back to normal but even at that I have a protocol that carries on for a week before I stop.

Missy is on raw food, and still gets hit with this problem of urinary tract infection. So I can't blame it on being a kibble problem in her case. I do think stress could be a big factor especially in a multi-cat household.

The use of colloidal silver and homeopathics might be worth considering, or looking into. If you're thinking of using cranberry extract I used Cran Rich by Natural Factors. I find it to be more cat friendly, it has a very mellow flavor which allows it to be sprinkled on the food. Use the quarter capsule (125 mg) twice a day. The reason for this is the active ingredient in the cranberry concentrate has about a 10 hour active window when taken so if it is taken both morning and night you have a better chance of it working for you in protecting your cat.

Winston November 1st, 2013 05:34 PM

Good suggestion Reg with the colloidal silver. I used that with Tabitha too!

I also used Cosequin I can check on the name for sure.

Reg November 2nd, 2013 02:53 PM

While surfing the net I came across this article that I think is a must read for cat owners, especially for people having urinary trackt issues with their cats. Please read it, and share it with other cat owners. I found it very informative, and thought it was well worth sharing.

[url]http://www.michvet.com/Client%20Education%20Handouts/Internal%20Medicine%20handouts/Feline%20Idiopathic%20Cystitis.pdf[/url]

Koteburo November 6th, 2013 07:23 PM

Winston: Thanks a lot for the link to the thread about it. I'm already looking into some of those herbs.

Reg: OMG invaluable information. And how didn't I think about the colloidal silver before.
Yes, your memory serves you well in early spring while visiting my parents we had a fungus outbreak! 3 got infected and 2 of them were healed with only colloidal silver. The kitten did require to combine it with medication he brought it home but I'm sure if I caught it earlier the silver would have been enough. He's doing awesome now btw :lovestruck:
But back to the cystitis I really like your protocol and I'm going to implement it for Scully. At the moment she is on a cranberry paste for cats just to keep it at bay. I will follow it step by step because it makes a lot of sense to me.

Thank you so much guys (well girls :D)
Always great info shared on this board. Greatly appreciated :cloud9:

Dlwd the article and btw scully's culture came back aaaaaand clean.

Koteburo November 23rd, 2013 06:59 PM

The crisis is back.
This time I have colloidal silver, homeopathic arnica and pulsatilla both 30ch so my question to Reg is: In what amounts did you give this 2 to your kitty?
Colloidal silver is explained in the post above :thumbs up
Thank you:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack November 23rd, 2013 08:34 PM

Oh, no! No advice--just crossin' our paws and fingers here that she's feeling much better soon!

Reg November 23rd, 2013 10:58 PM

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that Scully is having problems again. What I have found works for me personally, is to get the 3 homeopathics into the cat ASAP. This is one pellet each of Arnica, Pulsatilla, and Hepar Sulfuris. If they are in a small cylindrical container turn the container upside down and slowly rotate the bottom while holding the top still. Watch for one pellet to drop into the lid, pull the lid down away from the container, do not spill pellet out of the lid. Ideally you do not handle the pellets if at all possible. From here you have 3 methods of administering the pellets: 1. Tip Scully's head back and drop the pellets down the back of the throat for her to swallow. 2. Pour the pellets out of the lid into a small glass preferably 1 ounce measure or a jigger, and add an eyedropper full of water preferably distilled. Let them dissolve it will take at least 20 minutes, then fill the eyedropper with the solution and give it to Scully. 3 take the pellets and put them in a clean teaspoon take the 2nd teaspoon and crush them, and from there you can pour the crushed pellets in Scully's mouth or into the glass measure and add the eyedropper full of water this way they dissolve a lot faster.

The Arnica is for pain so you'll have to play it by ear if the pain hasn't subsided in 3 hours give her another Arnica. The Pulsatilla and Hepar Sulfuris should be given 3 times a day for the first 3 days than diminished to 2 times a day for 5 days, and try to have Scully on wet food if at all possible.

This along with the colloidal silver for 10 days is what I have found to work quite well for me. Quite often I have seen the pain diminish to the point where Missy would be acting pretty well normal within 3 hours(no more constant trips to the litter box) of the time that I started administering the products.

Something else that I do when this problem arises. I check the bladder area between the back legs for swelling just in case there might be blockage, and I have to make a trip to emergency. In the 7 years I've been dealing with this I haven't had any problems with blockage. But I do keep the litter box in the bathroom where we can keep an eye on the cat's in case there is a urinary tract problems. It gives you a quicker jump on the problem when it arises, and helps to cut down on the time that Kitty is in pain.

Sorry I didn't get your post earlier, hope this will help. I will check the computer a little more often in the next few days in case you do have problems that I might be able to help you with, or else PM me. Just keep a close eye on Scully for the next few days. If things don't appear to be clearing up the way you think they should, a trip to the vet might be necessary, hopefully not.

P.S. Administer the homeopathics either half hour after or a half hour before eating, and if you have distilled water use that to dissolve the homeopathic pellets, if not - filtered water, and last of all, regular water will have to do.

I don't see that you have the Hepar Sulfuris in your previous post. Did you get it as well? If not, carry on with what you have until you are able to get some. We generally purchase the homeopathics from our pharmacy by Boiron, but there is also a line from Hylands - at least we think that's the name.

Koteburo November 23rd, 2013 11:57 PM

Thank you so much for the quick response. I gave a pellet of each (dissolved in water) and an eye dropper of silver. Tomorrow I'll be getting the hepar sulfuris. She hasn't gone to the litterbox in about an hour as opposed to every 2 to 5 minutes. She even tried the dirty clothes hamper poor girl. When she's a 100% she never does that. She's peacefully sleeping on the couch at the moment. Seems the Missy Protocol is taking effect already. I'll stick to it and add the hepar sulfuris tomorrow and btw the brand is Boiron as you mentioned. We went to a health food store where I know they carry homeopathic treatments and herbal remedies I even got the silver there too.
We'll see how she continues tomorrow but so far is doing well.
Thanks a lot again.

Koteburo November 25th, 2013 03:15 PM

She's doing OK the treatment is helping except very early in the morning she always seems to have a set back and lives in the litterbox as the day progresses she gets better and better after taking her silver, arnica, pulsatilla and hepar sulfuris.
Hopefully tomorrow morning she'll be doing as well as she does during the whole day.
She's taking all those 3 times a day,(we started Saturday evening and we didn't have the sulfur yet) still today and tomorrow to go after that twice a day.

Reg November 25th, 2013 06:18 PM

Hopefully you'll see some improvement in the next day or 2, it sounds as if things are working to some degree. Are you giving the colloidal silver at a different time then you are the homeopathics? I normally do. I don't think there would be any conflict between the colloidal silver and the homeopathics. I do know that food will compromise homeopathics if they are given too close together. That's why they recommend half an hour between food and homeopathics.

How long was Scully suffering from the symptoms before you started the protocol? This could dictate speed of recovery. What is the ppm of your colloidal silver, and are you giving Scully 2 or 3 eyedropper full at a time 3 to 4 times a day? As I had mentioned on November 1st post. My curiosity gets me from time to time. I hope you don't mind me asking was the product made here in Canada, and does it have a Nutritional Product Number (NPN)? All healthcare products sold in Canada now have to have this number indicating that they come up to federal standards. ..... And yes I know that's another story!.....

Koteburo December 5th, 2013 11:07 PM

Very late response but better late than never. I've had rough weeks between working, cats and close to my due date, bad weather, visits and so on.
Scully has been restored. The treatment worked :thumbs up
To your questions:
I gave her the colloidal silver at the same time as the homeopathic treatments and not all at once but 3 times a day the first 2 to 3 days then twice.
I always gave her the treatment either before her meals (no less than 30 mins) or after.
I started to give her the treatment after about 24 hours from when the symptoms started to be really noticeable. My guess is if I would have caught that sooner it would have been even more effective. It took about 4 to 5 days for full restoration.
The silver is made in the US and the manufacturer says Axel Kraft.
I also tried silver made in Mexico back in spring from a reputable vendor on E-bay and it worked. It was good of quality and it cured the fungal infection of 2 of the cats (no other oral or topical medications only for the cow kitten). So I guess there are phony and good products everywhere however some places are most likely to offer you something that complies with certain laws as opposed to others (like here in Canada) . Particularly alternative remedies are more susceptible to be subjects of fraud or not putting in them what the manufacturer is promising. I heard that a lot of herbal supplements are for the most part fillers of soy and rice flour :mad:
Thank you so much for the time you took to share advice and knowledge.